Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only just come across this model today, never heard about it before nor seen it anywhere!
From a quick google search i come across a lot of negativity towards it, but if there's anything i've learned, its that all them reviews aint no good!
But basically they're saying that its a cruiser engine put on a wannabe-streetbike and therefore its a bit of an odd machine.

Anyone here who has ridden it who can tell me a little more about it?

Im thinking my next and 2nd bike is gonna be a torque-rich bike, not focused on high-end, but something more touring minded.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you want to consider something more tour minded try the Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe or almost any of the Victory bikes. They are not high performance high RPM engines but they have plenty of torque at highway speeds and can be lots of fun to ride. I have no idea about that 1100.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe i bet that it is, but i honestly cant see myself riding a cruiser like that :)
Im way more into something a bit sporty looking, naked bikes etc. Im currently riding a GSXR 250, a lil 4 cylinder needing a lot of revs to go anywhere! So thats basically the root of the whole "i want something with low-end torque!" thinking :)

Bikes like the MT-series from yamaha, ducatis monster, suzuki's DL v-strom(even though its too tall for me), those are the ones that appeal to me :)

Especially yamahas MT 01, a 1670 cc 90 hp torquemonster! but its quite expensive! :D So when i saw the bulldog, quite a bit smaller and also way cheaper, i thought: if this is a nice bike - why not?!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Wow that Bulldog is an interesting looking bike indeed. I don't think Yamaha ever sold that model in North America.. has it always been available in Denmark?

One thing I just learned about it is the engine came from the Virago 1100, and I own a 1999 Virago 1100. Great solid engine! Has pretty good power for its size, but it is not what I would consider to have a "sportbike" powerband. Think more like "performance cruiser", which I think sounds like just what you are shopping for.

If there was 1 thing I could change on that engine it would be to swap the carb for fuel injection. I assume all years of Bulldogs have carbs? Don't get me wrong the carb works fine, but nowadays EFI is just soooo much nicer.

Good luck in your research

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think its been available for at least 10 years or so, seems that way.
But ye i read that as well, and on that topic - that it was an odd mixture that caused test riders to crash the bike, simply because of missinterpreting the "potential" or lack thereof, of the bike.. wasnt quite clear...

But ye, id love something that has a large enough engine to avoid the gear-changing constantly, with enough torque to make overtaking easy and fun, acceleration is after all whats fun about it! (the cruising and sensual experience of it all is ofc also epic!)

hehe yeeah i sure would love to try a bike with fuel injection, i imagine its a lot less problematic :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
... id love something that has a large enough engine to avoid the gear-changing constantly, with enough torque to make overtaking easy and fun...
If that's what you're looking for then you'll probably LOVE that Bulldog, if the engine is the same as I'm familiar with. Lots of low-end power, and no need to downshift when passing cars even with 2 people on board! :icon_cool:

Try & find one that you can test drive!

The reason I traded up from my 1999 Virago 1100 had NOTHING to do with the Virago having insufficient power. My biggest complaint of that bike was there was too little legroom, I kept cramping up on longer rides.

Looks like the Bulldog is a whole nuther bike but still the same engine. It should be a fun machine, that I wonder why Yamaha decided NOT to import it to North America..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yee and i cant believe i havent heard about till now!
But ye i guess the ultimate answer to any "is this bike something for me"-question is: go testdrive it! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts