Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"2015" has been one AWFUL year, on a lot of levels, for me.

That said, putting the bike up on the lift for the Winter didn't help, but it is time, based on my own tolerance of "New England" weather. My bottom end is 45ºF in the mornings, and most nights are going to be below that, with few exceptions.

As happens, there may be those one or two days that come along that are great for riding, but not worth the back-n-forth with the Stabil and so forth.

Without knowing how the rest of this year is going to go....on a lot of more personal matters, it's just as well to have the bike up and stored.

Maybe someday I'll find myself living in some Southern State, where I can ride year round. Till then, ...................I'm done for the year.

-Soupy

·
V65 Junky
446 Posts
I am getting close to putting mine away too.

As far as living in the south, I am not so sure hot is better than cold. Just different.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
If you buy Pri-G, that's a Stabil like product, in gallons, you can keep your bike running stabilized fuel all winter. Remember, I buy fuel in bulk(300 gallons at a time) and have to use the products. So they do work. Sta-Bil is a rip off in those little bottles.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am getting close to putting mine away too.

As far as living in the south, I am not so sure hot is better than cold. Just different.
It's not just the "cold" .......it's the ice, the leaves (slippery), the snow, etc..

-Soupy

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Aww Soup, you can always put the bike up for winter after the weather shuts you down rather than in anticipation of it. You might have a few rides yet without bad road conditions and it might just be the thing you need some days when life's junk wants to overwhelm you. Doesn't take that long to put it away and this time of year, just keep some gas treatment in the bike, not a big deal. I'm like Hog, I use Pri-G which is really good stuff, much better than Stabil, especially for long term.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I'm still riding, even if only occasionally when the day is warmer, so the bike stays ready. But "winterizing" my bike takes all of 10 minutes (add the Stabil, run the engine for 5 minutes, hook up the Battery Tender, stuff rags in the exhaust pipes, put the bike cover over the bike) so if a nice day pops up here and there it is easy to go ride, then re-winterize. I've been riding for over 30 years and have always left my bike sitting on the floor of a garage for the winter months without any tire or wheel problems whatsoever in the Spring. I usually get an oil change in the fall, so that the oil is relatively fresh for the winter period, then change the oil again after riding awhile in the Spring. Having a Powerlet outlet wired to the battery makes "winterizing" much simpler as well. No need to remove the battery, just plug in the connector and I'm done.

While last winter was rough, with me not riding for over 4 months (but in fairness, much of that was not due to the weather but due to going through major surgery to have one of my kidneys removed) most winters I find a nice day or two each month (even Dec and Jan) to get out for at least a short ride. There have been several years here in the Midwest where I have ridden at least once in every calendar month.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I really hope 2016 will be much better for you Soupy!!!

I also hope 2016 will be the year we return to riding!!! I miss it so badly. Sometimes I think about getting my bike out and going for a ride by myself, but I know Randy wants to ride too and that would just be mean.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the well-wishes MONI. I hope so too!!

Vito: Last year, I didn't put a cover on my bike, and it was just fine (in the garage). in fact, the year I DID use a "cover," I had condensation issues. I'll leave mine uncovered.

Metaldoc: Yeah, I COULD drop it down and run it easy enough. I like the Pri-G recommendation that you and Hogcowboy mentioned. I'll consider it. What's the real advantage? Buying in bulk?

-Soupy

·
8,606 Posts
Soupy, at least you are still vertically polarized---Ham radio term:biggrin:

We all should be very thankful of our blessings and I bet if you made a list, the blessing would exceed your problems.;)

Don't worry about burning fuel stabilizer, the HD will run just fine.:p

Every time I start to get down and depressed and complain about my health issues like the pain I have in my feet for instance I hear that little internal voice (The LORD) reminds me that I still have feet to walk on and lots don't or why I seem to be losing my strength, endurance, drive and vigor at 68 years old and then that voice reminds me of how many people I know that are seriously sick or died long ago and much younger. This internal dialogue reminds me of my many blessings and then I stop complaining at least for a while. I remember what JOB went through but his faith was still strong:)

Sam:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
What you say.

Agreed Porky.
When we look around, there are many folks in much worse shape, health wise and financially.
Things will come right for Soupy, his heart is in the right place.
I find strength from guys like Rachmaninov and Beethoven. The difficulties they faced were much greater than anything I have had to deal with.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
943 Posts
I REFUSE to put any of my bikes away for the winter! One mild afternoon, if the roads aren't icy, I don a snowmobile suit and go riding. Only missed
January and March last year - got out for a ride at least once a month through the other winter months.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
We all should count our blessings. When I think that I have already had 8 years on this earth more than my father did, that alone makes me realize how lucky I have been. To have now had two years retired, with enough income to live modestly but nicely, with enough put away to continue this lifestyle for at least 15 or 18 more years is also more than just nice. Despite having had serious heart, lung, knee and kidney surgery, I am still well enough to take brisk 2 mile walks with my dog, to ride my motorcycle most of a nice day, and to play with my grandchildren. And most of all for me, to be approaching my 50th wedding anniversary to a super great woman, who not only tolerates me but seems to like me and rides with me, all of the aches, pains, worries and griping about the winter, taxes, politics, etc. fade away.

Recently I found myself thinking about what I regret during my life, and I realized that there were not too many things I might do differently. I would have been better with personal finances, maybe I should have taken that job with the FBI, probably I should have bought my first motorcycle years before I actually did buy one, but all in all life has been pretty good.

But I guess 24 years in the Army taught me that there is always something to gripe about, so I don't beat myself up too much for complaining about what really are pretty petty and minor things.

The winter may be rough, but if we make it to spring and ride again, we can still say "Life is good".

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Thanks for the well-wishes MONI. I hope so too!!

Vito: Last year, I didn't put a cover on my bike, and it was just fine (in the garage). in fact, the year I DID use a "cover," I had condensation issues. I'll leave mine uncovered.

Metaldoc: Yeah, I COULD drop it down and run it easy enough. I like the Pri-G recommendation that you and Hogcowboy mentioned. I'll consider it. What's the real advantage? Buying in bulk?

-Soupy
Strictly price per use. Add up how much it would cost to treat 1,000 gallons. Then price Pri-G to treat the same. Had Sta-Bil offered bulk I might still be using it but they didn't and now that I'm using Pri-G I find I like it even more. Bad part is, more are finding out about it and naturally the price is going up. Greedy dang people! And it isn't a supply problem. It's pure greed.

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
And most of all for me, a super great woman, who not only tolerates me but seems to like me and rides with me,

Recently I found myself thinking about what I regret during my life, and I realized that there were not too many things I might do differently.

"Life is good".
Good for you Vito. I am pleased to hear it.
I found the super great woman on my second try.
I refuse to live my life in regret, even if I did a few not so bright things. It just ruins your day to dwell on the past miscues. I am going the other way, along with you.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Fall has been great in S.E. Wisconsin!! Warm and dry! Still riding to work everyday but I know that will change soon. :(

·
Registered
354 Posts
Strictly price per use. Add up how much it would cost to treat 1,000 gallons. Then price Pri-G to treat the same. Had Sta-Bil offered bulk I might still be using it but they didn't and now that I'm using Pri-G I find I like it even more. Bad part is, more are finding out about it and naturally the price is going up. Greedy dang people! And it isn't a supply problem. It's pure greed.
Who carries it?

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Geez.......I didn't know that I was sounding like I was complaining in my text.

I guess I just ooze it.....lol.

-soupy

·
Registered
268 Posts
I rode yesterday, temp started out in the low 60s and was up to mid 80s by afternoon.

We seldom (about once a decade) get snow or ice, but it does get cold and the winds blow hard. I still am able to ride in nearly every month.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts