Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been infatuated with the Adventure/Tour bikes recently, especially the Multistrada 1200s by Ducati and the BMW XR1000S. I've read all the report, watched all the comparisons and have been generally excited about them.

Now, the price is the kick in the jewels I'm having a difficult time getting around. $20K for the beast...worth it? Maybe

For giggles I pulled up ebay to see watch my Concours14 market looks like...Wow!!! There is a 2013 with under 3,000 mile under $8K!!!! HOLY SMOKES!!! I can't believe these bikes are a two for one value to the Multi and the XR...

After my ride in, I think I'll just keep the Kaw, she's paid for an with only 6,000 on her she'll ride just fine. :71baldboy:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I can definitely relate Boone. I wanted a BMW 1200GS. Over 20k for that. I ride a BMW 650gs I found on CL for 5000. Had 4k when I got it 2 years ago. I now have 20k on her.

·
Registered
804 Posts
IF you were going to pull the trigger on an ADV bike, seems like used would be the way to go... at least until you know that's what you really want.

Too bad we're not all millionaires. It's just down right cruel that we can't get all the bikes we want.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It's just down right cruel that we can't get all the bikes we want.
Yup, t'is true! AND I need about $30,000 to expand my shop so I can fit more bikes in! :p Millions are wasted on millionaires - give it to us poor folk who could really appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm just going to add a trunk box and saddlebags to my Boulevard M50, much less expense than dropping a bundle on selling her and buying something else.

That should make a quite acceptable cruiser/tourer, guess she'll then be an M50T :)

I'm waiting on getting the mounting plates cut by a sheetmetal company (the post 2010 M50 has different bolt hole centres to the C50 range, so I have to get mounting plates made or pay through the nose for a specific M50 luggage rack). They should be here Friday, so hopefully the job will go ahead over the weekend and I'll be able to post some photos next week (touch wood).

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Adventure.

For off the main highways and on to the logging and back country roads, I would get a 650 Suzuki single.
For serious dirt, maybe an off road Yamaha 250.

I would not expect to have to pick up the bigger bike, but it would be easy enough. I would expect to pick up the 250 often.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you haven't ridden a 1200 Multistrada, don't. Compared to your Concours, it is like a dirt bike. Santa Barbara Ducati turned me loose on one a while back (thanks, Carlin). You do wheelies across intersections with it, like riding a CR500. Well, I was doing them anyway. Just an all around really good bike. What stopped me from buying one, was the $23,000+ out the door price. I ended up buying a low miles, KTM950 Supermoto for $6k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Regarding the ADVRider thing, I think it is just a fad, an image. Sure, there are a couple of guys out there, that actually do take them out to the boondocks, but by and large, most of the bikes are just accessory magnets, and they sure have built up an aftermarket accessory money mint.

I just look at it like, "Could I push that thing off of me, while laying upside down on the side of some nasty hill?" I know with my 2004 KX250, I can push it off of me, I can drag it back up out of a gully (maybe with the help of some friends), and here is the big one, it doesn't lose 50% of its value, when tossed down some gravel road at 45 mph. Can't say that with the latest and greatest GS/SuperDooperTenere/Multistrada/Explorer. I'd cry if I tossed a brand new Multistrada down some slope, or gravel road. I used ride a bit of flattrack (lifetime novice/sporsman), so I absolutely do like to see how sideways I can get.

That being said, those big ole bikes are very good street bikes.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If you're serious, wait for the Honda Africa Twin (CRF100L) to get here. It's emphasizing the dirt aspect.

HOLY COW! That picture turned out big.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Heck, with the crumbling infrastructure in the US; we'll ALL need adventure bikes in 10 years:mad::p

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Adv

None of these ADV bikes can handle any serious off road work. They are not designed for multiple crashes. They are too heavy. Maybe okay for some hard pack desert area. All we have is mountains and trees.
I have ridden in many cross country races up here, and have some idea of what is involved.
Gravel roads, a 500 or 650 Suzuki would be okay. Serious off road, a light weight 250 is the way to go.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

"Adventure" bikes are based on this. The ability to cover vast stretches of distance across "hostile" terrain. The majority of manufacturers that offer ADV bikes also offer smaller dirt bikes for those who want that. As far as tires, these are primarily road bikes and will be bought as such. It's better for manufacturers to outfit them for the majority of buyers and allow the more off-road oriented owners to swap out than to offer dirt oriented tires that 90% of the buyers don't need.

Man, what is it with these picture sizes?

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
Or post as a thumbnail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
"Adventure" bikes are based on this. The ability to cover vast stretches of distance across "hostile" terrain. The majority of manufacturers that offer ADV bikes also offer smaller dirt bikes for those who want that. As far as tires, these are primarily road bikes and will be bought as such. It's better for manufacturers to outfit them for the majority of buyers and allow the more off-road oriented owners to swap out than to offer dirt oriented tires that 90% of the buyers don't need.

Man, what is it with these picture sizes?
I agree with them putting on what the majority of riders will use them for (street tires), I don't think that is as "very serious" off road attempt at an Adventure bike. Just too big, too heavy. And that KTM Dakar bike you posted, it's of piece of art, but it isn't really very close to what you can buy off the showroom floor. I've got a KTM 950 Supermoto, and even with some knobbies on it, a bike that weighs somewhere in the neighborhoos of 420-450 lbs, isn't something I would want to hustle around off road. What does that Dakar bike weigh, 350-370lbs?

·
8,574 Posts
The only "Adventure" about these overweight pretenders trying to look like dedicated Dualsport/ desert bikes, is the adventure you'll perceive when you slide the front end out on every curve you take that isn't cement or asphalt. Front end "wash-out," is something you'll tell your friends about:p

A fender that practically sits right on top of the front tire is a recipe for disaster as mud will load that area up in a heartbeat. The stock tires are also pretend dirt tires and worthless except for a gravel or dry, hard dirt road at a sedate speed.(If the pressure is lowered way down)

The entire geometry is street oriented and they weigh too much for sure.

They do make absolutely excellent street bikes though if outfitted right and on most the ergonomics are roomy:biggrin:

I raced for years in District 37, in Southern, CA, In BAJA Mexico events and in every type from Trials, to Short track, TT, hare and hound, European scrambles, ISDT type Enduros, Hill climb competitions-etc-etc and all that the latest crop of Adventure bikes would be good for in these events would maybe be "Messenger service."

I have seen at least one VICTORY on this site though that can probably do a good job in all the above!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Agreed

Well said porky.
They are overweight and street orientated.
Useless for any serious adventure riding.
Someone show me a pic of one of these bikes going over a downed 30 inch tree. Or several dozen wind blown downed trees after a heavy rain.

I have been on many cross country races where none of these bikes could make the first few hundred yards.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
I think people get excited about the "idea" of adventure riding. When in reality the most they might get on is a well traveled logging trail. Except for the weight and that front fender, the bike picture does look good. They'll probably hit their targeted fans.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts