Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,830 Posts
Not as much fun if you can't bitch about others comments in a thread about something else.

I got nothing

·
12,830 Posts
and that is the truth in a nutshell

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
I only know of one that hasn't wavered and the RINO's are down on him because they can't "control" him. So he's labeled a loose cannon for doing just what he promised before elected. Politics is all about control. Plain and simple.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Pretty chicken of the OP to start a political thread and not say a word. Smooth move there Eye. Now you can sit back and say you never said a thing to cause all the hurt that surely to follow.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Didn't mean politicians. People here. Some get upset just mentioning the word "politics".

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
People like being lied to. They just want their leaders to keep the music going so we can keep dancing. The longer the music plays, the harder it's going to be when it stops.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Our nation has evolved into a two faction system (faction is what the Founders called organized groups with a special interest viewpoint, what we now call a political party). Whether good or bad it's what we have, and each party evolves over time, but not in any specific direction. At one time the Republican party was primarily focused on ending slavery, and enjoyed the total support of the newly freed black slaves after the Civil War, and at the same time the Democrats represented the culture of the deep South and segregation and all that went with that. Today we have a Democrat party that is primarily made up of specific interest groups such as government employees (particularly members of the teacher's unions), the gay and transgender community, African Americans, rabid environmentalists and others who lean toward the far left of the political culture. The Republicans are also a diverse lot, but generally have broad support by the business class, the traditionalists who support Constitutional adherence, those in favor of a strong military and an aggressive foreign policy, and for the most part, the pro-2nd Amendment supporters.

An underlying theme of each party is highlighted by their view of the role of the individual and of the government. Generally the Democrats see the individual as mostly helpless, who need the protection of a large and intrusive Federal government, while the Republicans favor individual responsibility and thus wish for a smaller and less intrusive government. The Democrats see all resources as collective, so that high taxes are only tempered by what they feel they should "allow" an individual to retain, whereas the Republicans see resources as created by individuals acting in their own self interest, and want taxes only to support specific governmental areas of responsibility and to provide a safety net of services for the truly needed and disabled.

Personally, as a strong supporter of 2nd Amendment rights, I see this Amendment as a litmus test of where a politician, regardless of party, stands on his or her trust in "the people". Those who support a free people retaining their right to keep and bear arms have an intrinsic trust in the people as the foundation of our democratic republic. Those who oppose this individual right believe that ordinary people cannot be trusted to own and carry firearms and that wiser, more knowing elite leaders must provide for our protection and well being. While not always true, generally the Republicans support the 2nd Amendment, and the Democrats oppose, so you can decide for yourself what that truly means.

I welcome other opinions, but I feel very comfortable knowing that I am right and clear on this matter.

(By the way, despite coming to this forum for many years, I never even noticed this sub-forum of "Off Topic" until mentioned by Eye in another thread."

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

Good analogy Vito, that is, of using the 2nd Amendment as your litmus for deciding who is for/against the will of the people. I concur.

--

·
12,830 Posts
I cannot argue with what you stated Vito.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I would agree with Vito's idea of what the GOP should be, but I haven't found anyone living up to that standard.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Insane system we have in place. Excepting money from lobbyist should be illegal and there shouldn't be any career politicians. I'm sure a lot of politicians get involved to make a change for the better but then get in and see how screwed up it is and eventually just fall in place and continue the cycle.

·
Nightfly
4,236 Posts
In the U.S. we still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature made them. Politicians have cultivated the notion that in order to deceive others it is necessary to deceive themselves. Think of it as the actor playing Hamlet must believe completely that he is the Prince of Denmark. But when he leaves the stage he usually remembers who he really is. But those whose entire life is based on pretense, i.e., the politician, seldom if ever do they return to reality. The secret to their success is they truly believe they are telling the truth, even when they know they have faked the evidence.

Only in Congress is insider trading NOT a crime. So when you see a snake having sex with a vulture remember, it's just business as usual in D.C. I think it was George Burns who said "if you can fake sincerity you've got it made." Seems like most of our politicians have had it too good for too long.

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
Ripping away

" It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes "

Thomas Jefferson.

Too many countries are going broke by trying to appease ( read pay ) everyone, with the latest must have benefit. I want an Owebumma phone.

" The democracy will cease to exist, when you take away from those who are willing to work, and give to those who would not "

Thomas Jefferson.

Margaret Thatcher and Winston Churchill said basically the same thing.

" When the tax rate increases to more than 50% or abnormal amounts, the tax payer will decide what is taxable income, and what is not "

Crusty Snippets.

Greece is having trouble collecting the taxes due. But it has always had a problem with all of the above. They are the most in debt as a percentage of GDP. The US is currently third in amount of debt owed per person, behind Japan and Ireland. But closing fast on Ireland.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 348 Posts