Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some pretty odd sissybars over the years, and I want something really original as a tombstone fold up sissybar for my patriotic nightmare XS11.

I will explain abit about the tail on this one...

I took an old rowing machine apart and saved the seat traveler base bar. It had a seat that slid back and forth on this single malable steel base bar. It was strong and hollow and was the exact size for my half and half cadillac taillights bucket. I stood the original turn signals up on either end as side flashers, and cut a hole for the license plate illuminator.
It is flat on the topside, and this is where I want to put the mount for the fold up tombstone.

The tomb will have to hinge in the right spot to act as a sissybar when vertical, and it should have some kind of lock, that would double to hold a removable trunk attachment when its horizontal...

and of course, it should have some kind of nightmarish eagle or flag cut in it as a one of a kind build...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update on tombstone...

I have opted for the lighter trunk style...

I got my hands on a large, top loading freezer basket, that I have cut down into a trunk frame that I will fiberglass over(and around). It comes just to below seat level, thus leaving the rear open for wind distribution, which is an issue on fairing covered bikes. I call it the "Freewind". Speaking of wind distribution, any ideas on how to divert the back thrusting bothersom wind problem associated with the rain stopper?

I think this trunk idea is much better than an attention getting sissybar with some strange looking logo on it. I will post some pics after I weld it, then some pics after I fiberglass/paint it.

One small question though... about field coil wiring...
how much and what guage wire = 3.5 ohms resistance? how do you do the figuring?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,482 Posts
Here is a simple as possible e
Here we'll attempt to explain Ohm's law basics!

Ohm's law can be very difficult to understand by anyone who has never had any basic understanding or training in basic electricity. We'll assume that you have some knowledge of basic electricity. We'll explain it in terms of water flow! DON'T GET WET!

What is Ohm's Law:

Ohm's Law is made from 3 mathematical equations that shows the relationship between electric voltage, current and resistance.

What is voltage? An anology would be a huge water tank filled with thousands of gallons of water high on a hill.
The difference between the pressure of water in the tank and the water that comes out of a pipe connected at the bottom leading to a faucet is determined by the size of the pipe and the size of the outlet of the faucet. This difference of pressure between the two can be thought of as potential Voltage.

What is current? An analogy would be the amount of flow determined by the pressure (voltage) of the water thru the pipes leading to a faucet. The term current refers to the quantity, volume or intensity of electrical flow, as opposed to voltage, which refers to the force or "pressure" causing the current flow.

What is resistance? An analogy would be the size of the water pipes and the size of the faucet. The larger the pipe and the faucet (less resistance), the more water thatcomes out! The smaller the pipe and faucet, (more resistance), the less water that comes out! This can be thought of as resistance to the flow of the water current.
All three of these: voltage, current and resistance directly interact in Ohm's law.
Change any two of them and you effect the third.

Info: Ohm's Law was named after Bavarian mathematician and physicist Georg Ohm.

Ohm's Law can be stated as mathematical equations, all derived from the
same principle.
In the following equations,
V is voltage measured in volts (the size of the water tank),

I is current measured in amperes (related to the pressure (Voltage) of water thru the pipes and faucet) and

R is resistance measured in ohms as related to the size of the pipes and faucet:

V = I x R (Voltage = Current multiplied by Resistance)

R = V / I (Resistance = Voltage divided by Current)

I = V / R (Current = Voltage Divided by Resistance)

Knowing any two of the values of a circuit, one can determine (calculate) the third, using Ohm's Law.

For example, to find the Voltage in a circuit:

If the circuit has a current of 2 amperes, and a resistance of 1 ohm, (< these are the two "knowns"), then according to Ohms Law and the formulas above, voltage equals current multiplied by resistance:

(V = 2 amperes x 1 ohm = 2 volts).

To find the current in the same circuit above assuming we did not know it but we know the voltage and resistance:
I = 2 volts divided by the resistance 1 ohm = 2 amperes.

In this third example we know the current (2 amperes) and the voltage (2 volts)....what is the resistance?
Substituting the formula:
R = Volts divided by the current (2 volts divided by 2 amperes = 1 ohm

Sometimes it's very helpful to associate these formulas Visually. The Ohms Law "wheels" and graphics below can be a very useful tool to jog your memory and help you to understand their relationship.
xplanation:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new regulator fixed problem...

We found a new regulator on ebay, cost a bill...

works great though... so, thanks critter!

Now all I have to do is go to work finishing... holy moses, there are alot of strange shaped little pieces on a motorcycle!(thats why I like them!)

thanks for all you guys support! really needed it last winter.

will be posting updates with images so you can monitor...

thanks again!

ps I make cursors and stuff for windows OS so if you would like a little motorcycle for a pointer or something just let me know!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts