Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, if you just want to chastise me for speeding, go @#$#@$ yourself. If you want to avoid "The Ticket from Hell," read on.

So I'm cruising down the I-5 in California, in the Central Valley, at 5 a.m Next to zero traffic. I fall in behind a BMW doing 90 mph, gonna let HIM be my jackrabbit, trail him by 1/4 mile with my radar detector on MAX and I should be fine.

Except I failed to notice he ALREADY had a CHP unit "in tow." who by a lot of expert driving, managed to pull us BOTH over.

I figured out later how I could have outdriven him, but....woulda, coulda...

So I do my usual, point out road conditions were superb, that I have good tires / driving a safe vehicle, wasn't tailgating or weaving, ask if I could receive a warning instead of a ticket.....and...NO DICE.

Fine, a big fat speeding ticket. I'll just pay it, opt for one of California's online drifving schools and be done, right? No points, no boost in my insurance rate.

Except.

IF they mailed a courtesy notice, they mailed it to my 3 year old address, and mail doesn't get forwarded anymore.

So my court date is rapidly approaching, and I don't have a CASE NUMBER so I can't go online and pay it, opt for traffic school nothing.

Except sit in the queue for 3 1/4 hours, on hold, on the phone with the Fresno Superior Court.

Hell, my Iphone battery won't even LAST through a 3 1/4 hour call. I have to plug it in and sit there with it on speakerphone. Misery!

Well it seems they haven't gotten AROUND to entering my ticket in their database yet, even though my COURT DATE is 2 days hence, so I CANNOT pay it, sign up for traffic school, whatever.

I attempted to use their pathetic website, except....it ONLY works with Internet Explorer with JAVA enabled...and because of the security risk, I have JAVA turned off on all my machines and haven't had a copy of IE on any machine in the past 5 years. So I borrow a friend's old Pc laptop.

And the database STILL show's no record of my ticket, with ONE DAY remaining.

Mind you, if I fail to show up for court, or do NOT handle this online, they tack on an additional $300 penalty.

So ANOTHER 2 hours, 45 minutes on hold with the Fresno Superior Court at which point they offer me a 3 month extension on my Court Date. And they finally give me a case #, go figure, it's the same as the ticket #.

So I mail them a check for $425 and change, both for "bail" and for the right to ENROLL in online traffic school.

Traffic school, you see, is another $50 ON TOP OF what I paid the court system for the right to ENROLL in traffic school.

So I finally sit there, online, on a half-broken website, and take this 2 hour course that repeats the same @#$$# over and over and over.

I struggle with all the quizzes, and have to go review every single chapter, cause the quizzes ask questions like:

At 60mph a car can stop in A) 390 B)400 C)410 feet.

In other words, trivia you had to spot and memorize in the chapter.

I finally finish, take the final exam, which, in comparison, is a piece of cake. I ace it, even without taking advantage of the "open book" nature --- you an open another browser window and have the chapter's open.

So finally, MORE THAN SIX MONTHS after receiving a ticket, I finally have resolved it.

It simply wasn't worth it. That damn ticket sat on top of my desk for SIX MONTHS while I attempted to get it resolved. A constant mental irritation.

In one or more of my other posts I've mentioned that I'm giving up speeding. Well, almost.

I figure that at 7mph over the limit the most I'll ever get is a warning, if I even get pulled over.

At 17mph over, I have to be hypervigilant, I really don't get there that much faster, I burn more fuel, and I MIGHT have to deal with a ridiculous situation like this AGAIN.

So unless it's a twisty, empty road, or I have some compelling reason, I think my (serious) speeding days are over. 7mph over gets me there a little faster, a whole lot more relaxed, and keeps MY Benjamins in MY wallet.

I'd like to hunt down the officer who gave me this particular ticket, and outline for him the amount of grief I had to suffer as a result. The fact that the court can't even get tickets INTO their system in time for offenders to rectify them seems particularly unfair.

I know, I know, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime, but...

Anyway. That's my ticket from hell story.

I did learn ONE thing in the online course. Do NOT pull away first from green lights. A surprising # of fatalities occur to the first guy who pulls out as a result of red light runners. Hesitate. Look both ways. Let the guy in the other lane, pull out first, or the guys on the opposite side coming towards you.

If that one statistic saves my bacon, or the bacon of anyone reading this, then the whole $500 affair was worth it.

Cheers!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
Would love to pour salt into the wound just because it is you, but I won't. Sounds like you may have learned a lesson and passed on some good info.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Years ago I had a '78 Dodge Duster that really started to smooth out at 50 MPH and rode like a Cadillac at 90 MPH - no cruise control in those days - and collected more damned speeding tickets in that thing - one for 125 MPH in a 60 zone! :mad: I almost lost my license with that car and learned my lesson. The fastest I ever go now is 8% over speed limit and ONLY if I know my speedometer is accurate. (They say you are safe up to 10% over.) I burn less gas now, my license is healthy again, and I might just live longer.

"Self-inflicted pain" gets no sympathy! ;)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Wow! This post elevates your whining to a whole new level! You sat around doing nothing about a ticket you knew you had, and somehow it is their fault because they mailed a reminder about the ticket YOU KNEW YOU HAD to an old address? Break out the Gouda!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree that we can almost always get away with 7mph to 10mph over the limit - which is what many of us target - but 17 mph over the limit is asking for a ticket!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Wade, Maybe you should come to Australia and try the Stuart Highway that goes from Adelaide to Darwin (thats right from top to bottom of the country) There is a section in the Northern Territory where they have removed the speed limit completely and found less deaths on that section of road than before it was changed!! Go figure. When the speed limit was 110kph or 70 mph drivers were falling asleep at the wheel as it seems so slow when travelling on a road that goes on forever. But we don't have the traffic on that highway that you would have in the US or Canada. Due to the reduction in deaths they are considering extending the no limit section. Way to go. Cheers

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I got frustrated with an old couple who were sight-seeing on a really hilly road and blew by them in my truck, doing 20 over, in the first available passing zone and got snagged a few weeks back. I explained it to the officer and he wrote me for excessive which was $128 fine and no points, instead of the 20 over which is $500 and 2 points.

I was pissed about the ticket, but the cop accepted that I generally didn't do 20 over on a two lane, it could have been worse.

Under 10% over and they generally leave you alone.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I got frustrated with an old couple who were sight-seeing on a really hilly road and blew by them in my truck, doing 20 over, in the first available passing zone and got snagged a few weeks back. I explained it to the officer and he wrote me for excessive which was $128 fine and no points, instead of the 20 over which is $500 and 2 points.

I was pissed about the ticket, but the cop accepted that I generally didn't do 20 over on a two lane, it could have been worse.

Under 10% over and they generally leave you alone.
A cop wrote you a ticket for passing as quickly as possible and getting back into your lane..........thats what is taught

but then again to get 20 mph over passing 1 car, that 1 car must've been doing at least the speed limit

·
Registered
809 Posts
That's what I always thought as well - but a quick look at the North Carolina license handbook 're: passing has a Note: you must not exceed the posted speed limit while passing. WTH?

·
8,665 Posts
A cop wrote you a ticket for passing as quickly as possible and getting back into your lane..........thats what is taught

but then again to get 20 mph over passing 1 car, that 1 car must've been doing at least the speed limit
They were going downhill at the time and were doing almost the speed limit. I'm not one to argue, if I'm speeding I'm speeding. I passed them the way I did because being familiar with the road, I knew it was one of few chances to pass safely and the passing zone is fairly small. I don't know the law as to whether or not you can legally exceed the speed limit when passing. I'm smart enough to know the best way to get written up for the max is to argue the law with a cop.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Yep, they really don't want you you to pass is what it boils down to. Someone doing 5mph under the speed limit means you need nearly 6 miles of clear to pass. It's a stupid rule/law and they know it and love it. Cause they know we are going to try passing these people doing 5 under all the time. It's a revenue source plain and simple.

·
8,665 Posts
These people were doing as much as 20 under at times, they even hit their brakes one time just after cresting a hill. I have no idea what they were looking for.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Probably looking for the guy selling counterfeit drivers license.:D

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The law is the same here. Passing is not a legal excuse for speeding in Illinois, although many do it.

Ultimately, writing a ticket is up to the officer's discretion. If someone is aggressively driving and passing many cars that are at or near the limit, they are more likely to get cited.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
^^^and develop a better attitude with the officer. Tell him what a great job of driving he did to pull you both over.................

·
Motorbike Macgyver
325 Posts
Hey, if you just want to chastise me for speeding, go @#$#@$ yourself. If you want to avoid "The Ticket from Hell," read on.
The easiest way to avoid a speeding ticket and any other complications that may result is not to speed. I'm not chastising, I'm just saying.

G

·
I have gotten one ticket so far for speeding. I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop, I am told that motorcycle cops will always give you a ticket. My lizard was in his car seat on the passenger side.

The cop noticed him and told me he has the same species at home. I thought maybe he would let me off because of that but no dice. I learned my lesson.

He told me he doesn't pull people over for 10 mph over but more than that and he will. (Though ideally don't speed at all of course). He advised me not to contest the ticket, just go to court in person and pay it. They will often lower the bill, especially since it was my first and only ticket. It was lowered from over 300$ to 80$. Thank goodness. Now I never speed though. If is always tempting though. My dad is from New York so I have to make sure I don't drive like him. (We had skid marks on the driveway )

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts