Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I was returning home from checking out an antique fire truck I might buy, about twenty miles away.
It was getting chilly and dark and I was hungry and had to take a leak.

I reached an intersection with a couple of cars stopped at the light.
The light changed and I started to take off, then the throttle lost all resistance and it was at idle. I thought quickly and made a right turn and coasted to a driveway and parked it.
Sure enough, the pull cable had broken.

Several cell phone calls netted nothing, as far as help from friends and my son, who was at the Eagles-Giants game in Philly.
I relented and called the roadside assistance number on my insurance card. The first guy said it would be a minimum of ninety minutes.
Next was the Allstate guy again, who then informed me that the service did not cover motorcycles and he could connect me with another towing service, which I'd have to cover out of pocket.
The next guy said it would likely be over an hour and that I should expect to pay between $78 and $130.
I thanked him and hung up.

I proceeded to pull the tool pouch and investigate, removing the throttle housing screws and prying it apart enough to find the upper end had snapped. I was thankful it wasn't the lower end.
I loosened the pivot bolt/nut on the slip-joint pliers and looped the end of the cable around the shank of the bolt and cinched the nut down with the ten millimeter wrench. I pulled on the pliers and checked throttle operation. It was working.

Pulled the helmet and gloves on and fired it up and checked to see that it would rev sufficiently to get it up to speed. No problem.
MacGuyver would be proud.
After putting the tools away, I pulled out and into traffic. I found the operation of the throttle to be surprisingly similar to the normal method, the only difference being that I had a pair of pliers held between my index and middle fingers and the throttle grip. It still rolled as normal and I still had my two small fingers to work the brake.
If you had followed me home, you wouldn't have known anything was any different.

I went from feeling extreme anger and frustration to laughing in a matter of minutes. I'm still laughing about it.:biggrin:

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Congratulations to you. Glad to hear you were able to get it home without having to be towed or hauled.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
My only similar incident was losing the circlip that retained the shift lever on my Suzuki Marauder 800. I learned very quickly that you CAN start in 3rd gear with enough clutch finesse! A Toyota dealership was kind enough to give me a few zip ties (which I now ALWAYS keep on hand) and I was able to tie the lever back in place long enough to get to a NAPA to replace the circlip.

Edit: Here's the original thread! http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=97142

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hell my steering wheel fell off on my truck and vice grips worked to steer the truck home. Vice grips and duct tape is a must have in any vehicle......

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looking for rode-side assistance a few years ago, I found a site that said they did motorcycles. AAA does not with my membership.

Anyway, started filling out the request form and thought it was getting somewhat specific. Ended up with a insurance quote that included road-side assistance at half the cost of what I was paying for motorcycle insurance at the time. Took the quote to my insurance agent and asked how it compared to what I had. He said it covered the same things the same. So I switched.

By-the-way I hate the companies commercials. Flo just gets on my nerves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts