Discussion Starter #1
Remember the green Mustang from Bullitt with Steve McQueen
where he was chasing the Dodge Charger?
It had been "lost" for many years. Turns out that it was sold for $3500
after the movie was completed. And the guy who bought it was right
here in Madison NJ! His family used it as a daily driver for a few years
before it developed some problems and was parked in their garage,
partially disassembled. During that time, Steve McQueen tried to
buy it from him, twice! The family has the letters from him.
The owner refused.
Later they moved to Kentucky and the non-running car went with
them. A while back, the father died and his now grown son decided
to reassemble the car and show it to the world.
The missing Bullitt Mustang had been found!!
Well, he finally decided to sell it. Today it sold at the Mecum
car auction.
Take a look at the price!!
Iconic '68 Bullitt Mustang Shatters Records And Sells For $3.4M

·
Nightfly
3,745 Posts
I had read the expectation for this car was for it to sell closer to 5 million. If that is true then it fell a little short of what the "experts" predicted. But still a record amount for any Mustang.

I don't see the need to wonder if it was too much money paid or not, that is a moot point. Something is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay. I do feel it is a unique part of history made famous by the iconic actor whose name is attached to it and one of the great car chase scene of any movie..

This car is a 1968, my brother bought the exact same car in 1967, and it was exact in every conceivable way. I loved that car but he traded it in on a 1970 Boss 302. The Boss 302 was a cool car but I always preferred his 67. .

·
American Legion Rider
18,889 Posts
Right here is also the hidden EDIT button. This week anyway. Who knows where it will be next week or next month for that matter.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
What the hell has happened to the edit button and why do I not have one???
I asked the same question more than a week ago, and had other things to say about the three dots.
I know it says site navigation, but click on it and you will find an edit function. It sucks I know.
From my boomerang won't come back: I waved the thing all over the place, practiced till I was black in the face.

Uk

·
American Legion Rider
18,889 Posts
What the hell has happened to the edit button and why do I not have one???
Actually, we just like picking on you TR, to see if we can tick you off. Is it working? Damn I'm slow. Should have thought of that sooner.

·
Nightfly
3,745 Posts
What's left to say, everyone knows about the car, what it did in the movie, who drove it and the movie scene that gave it iconic status. Not like it's a rare car because there were many thousands made. Steve McQueen actually sat behind the wheel and drove it. That's about it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I liked the '69 Mach 1 Mustang. Had one for a few years, the old 351 Windsor was getting wore out. So I found and rebuilt a 429 Cobra Jet to put in it. Was waiting on motor mounts when I got an offer I couldn't turn down. I never should have sold it!

Bullitt was one of my favorite movies for a long time, just because of the car chase in it. Now I don't hardly remember much except the car chase. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Nightfly
3,745 Posts
I'm sure we could start a thread to talk about the old performance cars we owned or drove. I was right in the middle of what later came to be known as the "muscle car era."

The capital city had a well known and well used circuit that we motor heads frequented on a nightly basis. Many stories and many races against all and any kind of car you could name. It was a great time to have a license and a crazy time to do what we did. Drag racing on the street was real and the cars were the real performance cars of the day. Not the pro mods they try and pass off as street cars today.

Mustangs were prevalent as were many cars back then. Cops didn't bother us much until the Madd people got involved. Every area of the country probably had their most popular area for settling a score that just needed to be settled. If I would have kept the cars I had back then I wouldn't have to worry about my bank account today.

·
American Legion Rider
18,889 Posts
Anyone know the exact condition of this McQueen Mustang? Was it a runner? Did it have all the dings and possibly broken suspension? Interior trashed or what? It doesn't look restored in the photo so what's the future look like for this thing for that kind of money? I do wish I had that kind of money to throw away because that's what it looks like to me. Worthless actually. Now if it was completely restored and put on display with other Tangs then it would be worth something to me but certainly not like it is unless of course it is shown as is. But where can you show something like this and recoup some of that investment? Sorry to bring the original subject back up. ;) :D :)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,861 Posts
A little behind the scenes info some may find interesting .. I was a fan of Steve McQueen but he had help in both The Great Escape and Bullit by Stunt Man Bud Elkins ..

·
Nightfly
3,745 Posts
It was not restored. Just things that had to be repaired to make it roadworthy. The owner wanted to keep it original as possible and so the paint, the interior were all kept as it was back in the day. I do believe the engine was rebuilt at one time but nothing extravagant. He wanted to keep the patina stock and not go with the rotisserie rebuild that a lot of people would have done. I personally think it was the smart move, but who knows, 3.5 million is nothing to sneeze at....

When a 1962 Ferrari GTO - one of only 36 that were ever built - and had done very well on the racing circuit, brought 70 million in un-restored form, (the only one to ever remain in that condition) then it makes sense to keep it all original. The car was supposed to be capable of being driven as a normal car...

Bud Ekins was the ultimate stuntman of his day. Taught Steve the ins and outs of motorcycle riding and racing. He also performed the iconic stunt in the great escape movie. I'm sure he was a huge help to McQueen.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Wish I still had all my old Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelle SS's and even the old RoadRunner with the funny little "beep beep" horn.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,619 Posts
If memory serves me right (we all know the odds of that happening). When gas monkey garage built a replica for McQueen's son to drive in the same scene, it was mentioned that there were around 3 or so identical cars used as they kept breaking things on the car.

·
Nightfly
3,745 Posts
Two Mustangs and two Dodge Chargers were used for the chase scene. Both Mustangs were owned by Ford Motor Company along with a promo loan agreement with the movie company. The cars were modified by auto racer Max Balchowsky. Both of the Dodges were junked after the filming along with one of the Mustangs. The other Mustang was purchased by a Warner brothers employee after all production and post production was completed. That car ended up in New Jersey, where Steve McQueen attempted to buy it. The owner refused to sell and the car was consequently left to sit in a barn. It has been resurrected and now put up for sale, and has been sold.

I was never a fan of the Gas Monkey Garage, something always seemed slimy about that guy, so I wouldn't take his word for it. But that's me...

·
Ace Tuner
1,828 Posts
820 HP on the dyno! ... A newer model turbocharged Mustang a guy showed me last week.
Didn't think to ask if he's running pump gas.
We estimated about 365 HP in my '57 Chevy, w/small block engine, and that was a radical machine. Things sure change.

BTW,
I found out those old Stangs were azz light at near top speed. WAY UP on two wheels three times before I landed it. (Luck, not skill). The guys we were out running said they could see the entire underside of the car and couldn't believe it didn't go over.
I'll never forget that night!
Me and the owner of the Mustang in the car and two of our buddies in the Barracuda behind. I'm the only one of the four still living... Go figure.

Yeah, something was (is) wrong with me. I just accept it.
S F

1 - 19 of 19 Posts