Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a new rider, given my experience driving a car, I must say going 40mph or whatever speed on my ninja 250 feels dramatically faster than if I was going 40mph on my car. I'm not the only one who feels this way am i?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You're the only one ever!!!

:71baldboy:

It goes away pretty fast. I live 20 miles down a secondary highway, so I have no choice but to log a lot of highway miles, and even though I have only been riding a week, that sensation is gone. (I did put 600 miles on my bike this week though)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome Vinny. Everything feels faster on a bike at first, it is part of the process. You are on a good starter bike and it will slow down. Just don't get impatient and push things too fast for yourself.

One thing l have found is that speed slows down when you bring it on gradually. If you crank it up to 40 mph it will feel faster than easing up to it. Keep scanning the road and pay attention as you go...a car turning left in front of you, a car coming in from the right, this car is weaving and the driver is looking down at her cell phone. The more you watch, the more you will notice, and the wider your field of vision becomes. I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
to AVOID this ... do not look at the asphalt immediately in front of the FRONT wheel. You need to be scanning the road with your eyes - at least 80-100 feet ahead of the bike - when you are riding at normal speeds (30-50 mph).

Obviously, if you are going slow, or slowing down for traffic, then you bring your vision back to the road directly in front of you.

The correct USE OF YOUR EYES is a very important skill on a motorcycle.

good luck!
dT

·
American Legion Rider
19,373 Posts
You are doing fine. It's been a long time but yup, I felt that way too. In fact it took me quite awhile to get out of first gear. That felt too fast too. Wait till you get to 70. That feels like the speed of light.:D It soon goes away though.

·
American Legion Rider
19,373 Posts
I was doing good to finally get up on just one ski. But do I ever remember the face plants getting there.:)

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
Sensation of speed is definitely relative. Flying 150 mph at 5000 ft. seems motionless but at 5 feet agl will really get your heart pumping. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Welcome to the forum vinny. It's the wind and open surrounding that makes it feel your doing more than your speed. You will get use to it.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
When I drive my F-150, I sit higher than in a Sedan. Therefore the speed I'm going, seems slower in the truck.

The closer you are to the pavement, the faster you feel you are going. It's just a common thing that happens to all of us.

Do we acclimate? yep.

-Soupy

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Did that on the Pike here yesterday.......
Was at 95ish n thought i was going slow.....
Yeah, l know the feeling. I find it to be especially easy to do when there is little traffic and the cars are all going fairly fast as well. At one point there was a car doing 75 in the left lane holding everyone up, and the right lane was a clog of truckers. Finally we got around the prick and l just gave it a twist and bam! I look down and l was doing like 95 and it didn't feel real fast. It felt like freedom ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts