Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a good nights sleep I wake up day three ready to ride. I have to drop the car off at the body shop and I stop at Bojangles for a sausage and biscuit and meet a couple of Christian brothers doing a little Bible study in one of the adjacent booths. We break bread and share how you can't be much of a Christian (yet) if you have never stood in the backyard cursing Him at the top of your lungs. And if you didn't try every other possible way to live except the one the Bible tells us to lead, to lead by serving, to receive by giving, to love deeply to forgive. To help the poor and those in need and to endlessly seek out opportunities to serve.

They pray for me not only for safe trip but for a fun and adventurous one. At last I feel truly ready to go.

Finally it's time to go I suit up drop the key at the front desk and head south towards Lacey Springs instead of heading towards Memphis I'm gonna head towards Birmingham.

The radar app on my iPhone shows a major front coming through the area headed northeast I'm going to head south west and try to avoid. I run into some pretty heavy fog on I 65 headed towards Birmingham with the scooters running fabulously will easily do 70 and really isn't screaming or complaining at 75

I do have an outer jacket rain jacket that's completely waterproof PVC but I don't have anything to keep my legs dry I ask hotel clerk for a couple of trash bags they may look stupid but dry and warm is always preferable. If I see a Gander Mountain or Cabela's I may stop and pick up yet another pair of Gortex outer pants

I'm wearing some body armor underneath my leather jacket this over a long sleeve thermal T-shirt and yet another mesh T-shirt alternate layers of trapped air and windproof including a nylon vest

The ride along 36 is simply beautiful with all the dogwoods coming into bloom I see poles with guords for purple Martin houses they eat mosquitoes . I see bunkers built into the dirt hillsides that are tornado shelters. I see beautiful southern mansions and Shacks with yards full of garbage. Alabama has such great contrasts

My girlfriend tracked my trip out to Alabama using Waze but Waze is constantly accessing GPS and the cell phone towers so it drains battery if you don't have a charger plugged in all the time. I enable "Find my friends" on my iPhone so she can track me that way but most of the time I have the phone turned off out of the hinterlands where there are no cell towers . Nothing it seems kills an iPhone faster than searching for towers or e nonexistent Wi-Fi

In Jasper Alabama maybe an hour from the Mississippi border I stop at Arby's for lunch and the rain starts while I sit at the table attempting to dictate a ride report my iPhone is fighting me erasing things I dictate right and left it's so annoying or is it the motorcycle forUm app that's SNAFU

The rain seems to be letting up a little bit it's time to ride! Graham Nash comes on the Muzak system I can see clearly now the rain has gone ... Outta here!

Attachments

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,152 Posts
Now that is funny.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what else did I see (on my summer vacation) that i failed to mention. Chain gangs, prisoners picking up garbage on the sides of highways. Roads that did NOT receive the free labor were trashed with litter, or littered with trash, whichever you prefer. Disgusting amounts of litter.

No actual chains anymore, just orange jumpsuits. But the guards still carry shotguns.

I saw one shack, deep i the Northern Alabama woods flying a Rebel flag, I considered whether I could burn the place down and manage to make an unseen getaway on a Ferrari red scooter. Kinda stand out. Had matches but didn't have any gas. Why should I tolerate such blatant racism when Americans complain about moderate Muslims tolerating ISIS flavor of radical fundamentalism and hatred? Isn't flying a Rebel flag in the Deep South, these days, the equivalent of shouting FIRE in a crowded theater? You just KNOW what sort of attitudes this redneck has with regards to guns, blacks, gays, etc.

Kudzu, the closer you get to Mississippi the more trees you see being felled by this invasive species. In West Helena AR there's actually a house being enveloped by kudzu; a tree carrying the vines fell over onto it and the vines spread from there.

Dollar General stores. Everywhere. Worse than Kudzu, imho.

Swamps. Lots of roads in Alabama/Mississippi are built on levees, or at least built up sections of earth, with swampland on either side. It rains an average of 52" a year in Huntsville Alabama, MORE than SEattle.

And that's an AVERAGE year. 72" isn't unheard of. So this afternoon it quit raining, but the humidity was 93%, so along with the swamps contributing moisture to the air, the windshield never dried off, nor the roads until the sun FINALLY came out and did it's job. You don't like gray and rain, don't move here. But the verdant green fields are amazing, esp in the orange-red sunset light.

Mindyou, you have to use chain saws AND bulldozers to clear land here as there are tree's spaced inches, not feet apart here. I rode past a telephone pole factory, operated by Weyerhauser. There's so dang much primal forest here they could cut phone poles FOREVER and not make a dent in the pine tree population. With all that rain 50' pine trees grow like weeds, less than 20 years to height.

Motocycles. Only saw one today. Lot of fair weather riders here, I guess.

Google Maps... makes me so mad I could scream. Frequently, FREQUENTLY has the road #'s wrong. You get to an intersecion and have a choice of highways 28 and 29. Google maps shows highways 5 and 14. What the hell! Hopefully you have a long enough stoplight to zoom out and figure out that 28 runs on top of 5 for 10 miles..., still, dammit, Google, PUT A BOUNTY on map errors like these..

Gun shops. Jeez do they love their guns down here. Gun shop in Colorado might have 50 weapons for sale. Shop here might have 500.
What the hell do people think is going to happen in this country when EVEYRONE is running around armed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts