Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Despite having the scooter capable of doing 75 mph I only managed 55 miles my first day. First I had to go to DMV and get it registered and pick up a license plate. Then there was checking out of the motel and dropping my car off for bodywork.

I eventually got on the road but it was one stop after another first at the DMV for license and registration and then checking out of the motel after dropping my car off for repair.

I eventually get on the road but it's like I have a giant drag chute attached I stop for hardware to attach my license plate at the Dixie auto parts store in Athens Alabama.

Mounting the plate I see that my rear tire does not look good at all. Fortunately I only have to backtrack some 15 miles to a motorcycle dealership that used to carry Vespa and has my tire a Michelin.

In case you're not familiar with Alabama barbecue technology the more rundown the shack it's sold from the better the barbecue usually is. It's now lunchtime so I look around for the dump is a barbecue place I can find and hit a homerun at Witts.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
day 1 Part 2

It's not just my thrift store in pawnshop and compulsion something is slowing me down today.

I submit to my compulsion and pick up an iPod at a pawnshop to help with the boredom of crossing Oklahoma Arkansas two days from now.

I eventually realize I have to turn around and return to Huntsville. I've managed to leave behind a few key items like charging cord for my laptop and iPhone as well as clean underwear not only that but there's things going on with my brother that I must attend to.

So I accept my fate get a motel in Rogersville for the night and going get a plate of fantastic fried Southern seafood including stuffed crab some fresh Gulf shrimp at Fat Cats restaurant . I'll get up early and return to Huntsville before anyone even realizes I'm gone.

You see every road has a perfect speed it should be ridden or driven at at any given time of the day or night and weather conditions. Your job is to figure out what that speed is and do it. It has little to do with the Marked speed limit.

The reason you don't want to run yellow lights is you'll arrive too soon before that parking space opens up before that dog crosses the road you're being slowed down on purpose behind that little old lady there's a speed trap up ahead don't you understand it's not a race

I pulled over to the side of the road parked jumped out and pulled a pallet out of a blind corner five seconds before a black Maxima would have nailed it. Obviously he was doing the right speed. Just luck you say no it's not.

Watch the animals small animals darting across the road in front of your Ed specially bird s hitting at your windshield are telling you you're going to damn fast. So is death gripping the bars or overdriving your headlights at night .

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day one Part 3

I laugh it off after a hot shower and a little TV in the motel room day one was just a shakedown day that's all. Maybe a well-planned road trip should include a shakedown day ride around town followed by a very early departure the next morning confident you actually have everything you need

I stop at yet another thrift store for yet another pair of women's tights to wear underneath my jeans to keep me warm I don't really have a waterproof outer layer or chaps for this ride

I wake up to the sound of rain get up and get dressed as I put on my watch I realize it's three in the morning and not six in the morning that's okay instead of sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic I'll have a completely open if wet road all the way back to Huntsville a knock it out in 45 minutes I stop at international House of pancakes

I have a lengthy discussion over blueberry pancakes about retrofitting modern fuel injection on for the 1967 Mustang with a guy who repairs Apache helicopters for bowling/McDonnell Douglas/the former Hughes aircraft

I tell him he'll have to add a fuel return line and a high-pressure pump even if he goes with an aftermarket Edelbrock FI system but encourage him to go ahead and try the OEM INJecction off a 5.0 L Mustang which he can pick up from the junkyard complete with the ECM for under hundred dollars the Edelbrock system is in the thousands.

The value I say will be coming from everything you learn working on the injection system and then you may be able to pick up a used Edelbrock system on eBay which will be infinitely tunable compared to the OEM system

It's time to go retrieve the items I need out of my car which is at the body shop writing from Rogersville to Huntsville it goes from 46° to 59° from Rainy to Sunny what a pleasant change of weather

I spend the rest of the day on the phone with my brothers boss and others concerned with his well-being picking up a couple weeks of groceries for him stuff for the long shelf life you can't boil water good he can microwave mac & cheese cup or Stouffers frozen dinner

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 1 Part 4

I return to the motel about 9 AM to get a few more hours of sleep catch up on email and take a hot shower except I see some young man leaving my room how the hell did he get in there I rented the room for the week and had not checked out. This motel had been a comedy of errors with one of the maids leaving her entire ring of keys in my door and walking away for more than 30 minutes. I pluck them out and left a message for the owner to call me he didn't call for a day and a half as I understand it they were pretty panicked

He was overjoyed to get the keys back and I made him promise not to fire the employee. What I pointed out that my laptop myself own everything I had could've disappeared with a set of master keys floating loose.

I'm exhausted I'm worn out completely from everything going on with my brother trying to get him into assisted-living against his wishes everyone is an expert it seems except the family member who's actually responsible for the person's well-being

I seem to of lost my spirit my joy my belief in good I know more than anyone I need to get on the road not just for fun but for renewal. I hit the sack and sleep soundly

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

My recommendation would be for you to just ride back and forth across the nearest large town with stop lights. The lights will give you some foot movement and the various shops along the way will not only give you varied civilized scenery, but places to stop to either window shop or spend money. It will be easier to nail down the best spots for three meals per day and note which gas stations are selling fuel for the best price.

Best of all, you won't get lost once you've imprinted the route in your brain. Try not to wave at police on patrol as they will become suspicious and think you are trying to peddle imported cigarettes from Wisconsin that have not been taxed properly.;)

--

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Advice ... if it came from the Internet you know it must be good! I'll give it a try Ronk! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts