Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding for a few weeks now (just hit 900 miles) and I have noticed that in any area that I have encountered other riders people have seemed very friendly and helpful. In shops conversations are struck up and cordial. On the road almost everyone gives the two finger wave or head nod. It really feels like being a part of a special club. It's really cool and I feel like, even though I don't know most of these folks, that they are looking out for me and I for them.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,500 Posts
Exactly

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
900 miles in just a few weeks isn't just casual riding. There are many that don't get that much in a full year. That alone puts you in yet another area of motorcycle camaraderie.(y)
Yeah, I was thinking that too.
@scoopsos Have you ever heard of the Iron Butt Association? If you just started riding and already did 900 miles you might be a good candidate soon...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have been riding for a few weeks now (just hit 900 miles) and I have noticed that in any area that I have encountered other riders people have seemed very friendly and helpful. In shops conversations are struck up and cordial. On the road almost everyone gives the two finger wave or head nod. It really feels like being a part of a special club. It's really cool and I feel like, even though I don't know most of these folks, that they are looking out for me and I for them.
Yup. Welcome to the Brother/Sisterhood. It is a great feeling. I had a Jeep for a while and Jeep owners do the same thing.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,698 Posts

couple years ago, My father was pulling up to a stop light and couldnt get his leg down fast enough and dropped the bike. a guy in the car behind him, and a rider heading in the opposite direction both stopped to help him. come to find out the guy in the car was a rider also. So yes in the world of riders, its a small world and were always willing to help onother out.

Just remember to do the same in return.

·
On The Road Again!
4,189 Posts
Rather fitting right here...
View attachment 70700
Arrgghh!! I could feel my butt crack tightening when I looked at that picture.
Waaay back in the early '70s, my brother and I got too close and we locked handlebars and went down at about 50 mph.
Re: that photo....Not "no", more like "HELL NO"!!!!

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
1,201 Posts
Yes. The moto fam is great. I was always an outcast and never really had any friends or fit in. Now, a whole army of riders have my back. Its a great feeling to be apart of something bigger then yourself. Ride on Broos!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Arrgghh!! I could feel my butt crack tightening when I looked at that picture.
Waaay back in the early '70s, my brother and I got too close and we locked handlebars and went down at about 50 mph.
Re: that photo....Not "no", more like "HELL NO"!!!!
Agreed. If you look at the photo the bike on the left has it's kick start foot peg up against the passenger peg of the other bike. Awesome pic but damn that could go south fast.

·
Short Fuse
687 Posts
I have always stopped and asked any guy with a bike beside the road if he's ok. A few times I have helped them get mobile - other times they were just having a smoke and all was good.

Many years ago I was riding to Brisbane and got a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere and about 10 miles from the closest servo. A guy on a Harley stopped and asked if I was ok. He was obviously drunk and he was wearing colours.

I was young and like - no, it's ok, I'm fine (knees knocking). He told me to take the wheel to the nearest village and that he would look after my bike. While I'm pulling the rear wheel he just lay on the ground and fell asleep - in the middle of the day and around 35 degrees C.

I hitched a ride to the servo - got the tube repaired and hitched a ride back to my bike. Probably took a few hours. When I got to my scoot the Bikie was gone. I was anticipating seeing all my stuff from my throw-over saddle bags gone as well.

Nope. Everything was there. That guys attitude influenced me, and from then I made it a point to be helpfull to any/all riders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts