Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever seen a BMW K75LT. There was one once and before BMW came out with a K75RT. Here's how it happened and what became of it. Nice story with sad ending.

Back in 88 BMW came out with their first large tour box on the K100LT. But it got recalled the very day I picked up my new K100 up so the dealer was forced to put the small one on. That small box stayed on for nearly a year before the approved large box was allowed back on.

In that year, we decided to trade my wife's(to be) R80RT in on a K75 but only if the dealer would take the challenge making the K75 a touring model just like the K100. At that time BMW did not make one and had no plans to ever make one. So he took a couple weeks to gather part numbers from the K100 and investigate whether or not those parts would fit on a K75. Now we are talking a full blown k100LT but in a K75(LT). He thought he could do it and gave us a price. It was just a few dollars short of what a K100 would be but we didn't think my wife would ever want a K100 but she did like the way a K75 handled, so we said go for it in the same color I had purchased to K100 in.

About six months later we got the call it was ready. Naturally we had seen it all along as it was coming together and really getting excited. Even BMW was getting on board as the dealer documented the whole process with their help. So once we signed all the paper work, we had two bikes that looked very similar except one was a K100 and one a K75. Both Luxury Touring models(LT).

By this time though, BMW had decided to make a K75RT not LT in the next model release. We found out later that they had started their own build in Germany because we were all worried that the K75 would not be able to handle the extra weight of that huge fairing on the front end. Their testing before our dealer ever got ours completed proved it would with some minor changes. It was documented for everyone to read about in the BMW Owners Magazine as well.

So here was the results. We wanted to add the large tour box to the K75 but that was one thing BMW refused to sell the dealer for this build. They wanted the K100 to be the only one that ever had it. We even tired for the next year after we picked it up trying to find a salvageable one from a wreck. Just never happened as in every single wreck were a bike would be totaled, that large box was ruined. But there are hundreds of K100's that have the small one because not everyone got the large one anyway for a couple years. Years later it became standard but not at first.
Later in 93 and after moving to Texas some idiot made a left turn in front of my wife and totaled the bike. The dealer in Texas was a jerk so we took what we could get out of the bike from insurance and sold it for parts on our own. But for a time in BMW's history there was a K75LT running around out there. She had 58 or 60k miles on it when wrecked. We road them from California to Texas in December of 91. Cold darn ride but we was used to the heated grips the LT's came with already since we rode everyday to work regardless of temps anyway.

It's really hard to tell the difference between these two with these pictures but one thing that stands out is the K75 had a triangulated muffler and the K100 had a square one and was black. I ended up putting and aftermarket Bub muffler on the K100 and it was chrome making it even harder to tell the difference.

I actually liked the way the K75 handled better than the K100. I once got the K100 up to 135mph and it had more to give. I didn't. Later I took the K75 up to 110mph just to see if it would go over 100mph. At that time I was done with those 130+ speeds. Telephone poles go by like fence posts. Just too fast for me anymore on 2 wheels.

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.:thumbsup: We liked them a lot and got a lot of pictures taken of them at rallies and such.

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man I know I'm ancient but that comment makes no sense to me. Anyone care to interpret?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts