Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the Honda stealership yesterday, and they had one of the new Valkaries in. Now, the images shown in all the magazines, and that I have seen online so far, showed me a bike that had some... interesting lines. I found myself questioning the looks of the side mounted radiator and shrouds. While being functional, they kinda looked out of place.

Seeing the bike sitting there in front of me, just how much out of place they looked became much more apparent to my eyes. And then, I sat on it.

And I looked...

The radiator shrouds seem to stick out not like a pair of sore thumbs, but mutated, steroid fed, growth hormone overdosed broken thumbs. It was ugly enough, that all I could think of was a horrendously failed attempt to mimic the look of a Cylon Raider from the SiFi Channel show, Battlestar Galactica.

I found myself longing for the classic Valkarie, or a naked, late 70's Wing, or even a Rune.

Honda makes some pretty damn good rides. Their Customline bikes look sweet as hell. The F6B looks like a luxury yacht, as does the CTX1300. The Shadow Phantom looks really pleasing to my eyes. The CB-1100 calls to me.

Sadly, Honda also seems to make things that have me thinking, "DAFUQ IS THIS? The Grom looks like a crippled midget, the CTX700 has me wondering what the hell Honda was trying to do, and this new Valk...

I wanna throw up on it.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
I've searched long and hard for an old Valk. It would fit my needs just fine with the drive-shaft. But the new ones are butt ugly. So now I'm watching for a good buy on a Goldwing that I can strip down and get rid of that monster fairing and put a batwing back on. My knees hit the darn thing. But it will have to be a good price before I try something like that. I'll probably end up with a Indian before that ever happens. I'd be real happy with a drive-shaft though. This gravel is going to bite me some day bad.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I have to agree, the new valk is fugly, but I also think the F6B is hard to look at.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
I've still got my '98 Valkyrie standard. And I'm keeping it too, dagnabbit!

The local Honda dealer keeps trying to get me to take bikes out for a spin. First it was VTX1800 (plenty of grunt, but I didn't want or need it). They've tried to get me on the new Valk and I'm not at all interested. They look like a small car from the back. I'm predicting a big fail on this one. I didn't like the Hoover Vacuum cleaner mufflers that were form fit to body work on the Rune either. The forks were cool, but the rest of the bike gets a big fat meh.

·
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm watching for a good buy on a Goldwing that I can strip down and get rid of that monster fairing and put a batwing back on.
You're gonna want one of the earlier ones, from before Honda started putting the fairings on themselves.

I would definitely like to have one of those, myself, but I would keep her nekkid. I think they look best as a muscular standard.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
You're gonna want one of the earlier ones, from before Honda started putting the fairings on themselves.

I would definitely like to have one of those, myself, but I would keep her nekkid. I think they look best as a muscular standard.
Ah, the old 1000. The local Honda dealer has one in mint condition. I don't think the guy ever rides it. Nice looking bike too.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Makes me wonder what HAPPENED to the "old Valkyrie," frankly. Anyone know any statistics on how many of the first couple of model year bikes were sold? How many were made? etc.?

The look of a bike like that, with a motor that essentially belonged in a rear-wheel drive car (orientation and size and design), was a real turn on for me, coming from a world where I spent a good amount of time turning bolts in engine wells.

Are we to assume that anyone who bought one, saw it as so unique that they squirreled it away, as a "keep it for posterity" piece, given what appears to be a lack of them around (the old ones)?

Anyone in here HAVE an old Valkyrie that might be willing to post pictures of their 1st year or 2nd year model? How many years did they keep that look, before they messed with it?

Oh yes, I know.......there are links like this to chew on for info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Valkyrie

and stuff like this:

Or this review, of the 2000 Model:

But I like hearing from YOU folks, from YOUR experience(s)!

-Soupy

·
lost
1,106 Posts
I've g a 98 standard. Purchased it new and still love the bike. It isn't high mileage but it has been places. The longest ride was from the eastern shore to Boise, Idaho and back. Two weeks prior to Sturgis a couple years ago. I had a post all set up and was looking for a picture on my laptop and POOF! I lost the dang post. Will try back later... duty calls right now.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
Glad to know I am not the only one that types away on a laptop and POOF it's gone

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Yeah, I thought I'd duck in here before walking to work and saw this thread. Figured I'd toss in a pic of us somewhere in Wyoming (I think) and went digging through my pic folders. In the process I closed the window I'd composed one of my usual essays in. You guys are probably breathing a big sigh of relief! :coffeescreen:

·
lost
1,106 Posts
If I've done it right there's three shots of my Valkyrie

First one is near the summit of Mt Washington, stopped there on the way to Madawaska Maine.

The second is Badlands South Dakota at sunrise.

The last is in Wyoming or somewhere later in the trip.

We're lucky to be able to be able to see the variety we get without needing to go through customs.

Attachments

·
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bwana, that is one sweet lookin Valk right there!

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I looked at every [online] motorcycle they make, and the Rebel is hands down the pretty one. It even seems that the CB 1100 lost some style. I first sat on one when they first came out and the ergos were the same as the old CB750, except the hard as a wood bleacher seat. Just like the model T, any color you want so long as it is black. For that price point,I would go with a Harley Nightster 1100.

The interstate looks like an old Rune mated with a Victory,and not in a good way...

But do not listen to me, I ride vintage and the wildest styling I can put up with is an '83 Magna. BTW,BD,do you still have your V-4???

·
lost
1,106 Posts
I looked at every [online] motorcycle they make, and the Rebel is hands down the pretty one. It even seems that the CB 1100 lost some style. I first sat on one when they first came out and the ergos were the same as the old CB750, except the hard as a wood bleacher seat.
Which one has the lump of stone for a seat?

I've got a '78 CB750. The last long run I did on it was about 650 miles, Ocean City, MD to a place outside Detroit. No butt problems for me. My longest day in the saddle was 800 miles and I had no problems. Granted, I was only 20 or 21 then.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Which one has the lump of stone for a seat?

I've got a '78 CB750. The last long run I did on it was about 650 miles, Ocean City, MD to a place outside Detroit. No butt problems for me. My longest day in the saddle was 800 miles and I had no problems. Granted, I was only 20 or 21 then.
The new 1100 has the hard seat. I have a 1979 CB 750 and love the seat and the way the bike fits me. I should have been more clear about which seat. Sorry

·
lost
1,106 Posts
The new 1100 has the hard seat. I have a 1979 CB 750 and love the seat and the way the bike fits me. I should have been more clear about which seat. Sorry
Ah, you got the first DOHC and I've got the last SOHC. I did eventually resort to getting Sargent to rebuild mine. Foam ages and goes bad. Kind of like I've done.

The first time I had them rebuild a seat for me was when the seat on my R75 turned to concrete overnight. I endured a 4 hour trip to Kitty Hawk on it. I'm sure all the cagers were amused at the guy who was all over his bike like his hemorrhoids were acting up. I still had to ride home too. :mad: Their handiwork made a huge difference.

·
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I looked at every [online] motorcycle they make, and the Rebel is hands down the pretty one. It even seems that the CB 1100 lost some style. I first sat on one when they first came out and the ergos were the same as the old CB750, except the hard as a wood bleacher seat. Just like the model T, any color you want so long as it is black. For that price point,I would go with a Harley Nightster 1100.

The interstate looks like an old Rune mated with a Victory,and not in a good way...

But do not listen to me, I ride vintage and the wildest styling I can put up with is an '83 Magna. BTW,BD,do you still have your V-4???
Begging for the storage area to be clear of ice so I can get her home and ride again! If I could find a place where I could rent a trailer, I would go pick her up now.

Speaking of V-4 bikes, I almost considered trading Woona in for a 1200 Interceptor. The bike fits me very comfortably, with the only major change I would need to do is get a custom seat made up to place a butt-stop pad where I need it for optimal comfort. (Almost... )

1 - 20 of 24 Posts