Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo. I'm a young guy who's admired bikes for a while, but always thought I was too tall to get into them. I'm 6'9", and came here in hopes of getting some other opinions on where a good place to begin searching for a bike would be.

Feel free to contact me, but I need 15 posts or something to do the same, lol.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome from Carlos,Tx. Treaves.As most will tell you here start with the BRC,then just go around to different places "trying on" bikes that you like.Its like buying new clothes you got to find the one that feels "just right".Good luck in your adventure.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Welcome from Seattle. l agree with what Dodsfall suggested. A good dual sport or adventure bike should be good. Take the BRC, learn how to ride, and then you should be able to find a bike to get rolling on. When l took the BRC they had a BMW 650 that only a couple of us were tall enough to ride. l'm 6'3"

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
As already suggested, a BMW or other dual sport would be just the ticket. Sit on all you can find though. One or two will feel better. I do suggest a basic riding course so you learn the proper techniques to practice.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Absolutely agree with getting a BRC (Basic Rider's Course) under your belt, (you'll have to tolerate a small 250cc bike provided by the Course Organizers, but that's ok.

At least at 6 ft. 9 in., you won't have to worry about being flat-footed when stopped, on most bikes out there!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help, Guys (and gals). I found a thread on here from 08 about a 6'10 fella who found he comfortably fit on a honda V45 sabre. They're older, so I can get one more cheaply if need be. Any thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I have the privilege of riding the 'Twin" to the Sabre,a V-45 Magna. Way too much power for a new rider. 80 horsepower with a 9500 RPM red line. Mileage is not so great either.

Carbs are a nightmare to work on as well. Also, the pulse generators are no longer available. I got the last one in stock in North America and that was last year. I make a very concerted effort to keep fresh treated fuel in the bike and run it in the winter just to keep the carbs in shape.

Good luck in your decision

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I had a 700 Sabre, which was essentially the same bike. It was too much bike for me and it stunted my growth as a rider.

I really would stick with the idea of a dual purpose or adventure bike for your first bike, at your height. They are tall and will be easiest for you to ride without having to worry about getting a handful of throttle. Once you learn to ride you can jump on darn near anything and be fine

I have heard great things about the street legal Suzuki DR400

·
7,784 Posts
No one has asked what his inseam is that will point to how long his legs are.

I'm 6ft-5in but only have a 31-32 inch inseam so a lot of bikes fit me. I have a close friend that is 6ft-1in but has a 37 inch inseam.:biggrin:

What about price range and by the way, where do you live, city and State?

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Welcome to the forum Treaves, from Md. Well at your height you will not have to worry about your feet being planted when you stop at a light. That's an advantage..Good luck. I agree with the post recommending a dual sport.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts