Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wanted to say i got the honor of sitting on a 2009 Yamaha VMAX. If you're even remotely interested in motorcycles i guaruntee you've heard of the yamaha vmax. its been around since the 1980's for a reason. The 2009 model is a 1800cc V4 shaft driven beast. well i walked into my local powersports shop (beechmont motorsports) with the mindset of returning a helmet i had bought saturday. so i go up to the parts desk and tell em i want to return my scorpion exo-700 helmet. no questions asked and he prints out a return receipt. he opens up the cash register and its looking good but then he says "i dont have enough cash will you take a check" i gave it some thought and said "uhhh yeah thats fine". so i sit down on the bar stool type chairs and he emerges from the back room and says "well the only guy here that can write you a check is out getting change. so i said "ok ill just wait here and look at the bikes". i started out on the dirt bikes and dual sports which where the closest. I looked at the monstrous YZ450F and then popped a squat on a 2009 Yamaha XT250. after studying the dual sport i got off and looked toward the left wall where 2 old yamaha dirt bikes where propped on engine stands for repair (i guess) well hidden behind these 2 poopers was a brand new shiny 2009 (or 2010 i dont know) Yamaha Vmax. I walked over in awe and couldnt believe they had the most powerful production motorcycle in their stealership. After eye-balling the black and chrome motor and dual exhausts i hopped on the seat. The seat it very comfortable and pretty low but the motor is so darn big you have your legs spread like a "working girl" just to get your feet on the pegs. The speedometer went to 155mph but im sure with a little blackbox work it could easily gain 50+mph. Now I absolutely HATE cruisers and choppers but this bike is in a class all its own. The machine is shaft driven and weighs a ton (around 600lbs i think) but does anyone on this wonderful forum own a vmax? i know that yamaha only made 2,000 2009 Vmax's and its pretty rare but theres a reason it costs 18,000 dollars

·
Veryfried
1,451 Posts
bit big and clumsy though aren't they???
you'd have to do some serious mods to make it go round corners fast, but in a straight line it's nippy.

would argue about it being the worlds most powerfull production bike tho - have you seen this?

211bhp v4 vyrus 987 :thumbsup:

also dwarfs the price of the vmax lol

then, you have the rapom v8, 1000bhp of tyre smoking british engineering.... sadly not yet in production!

some quote that at over 1200bhp lol - i think once you go that far it doesn't matter any more!

·
Banned
4,381 Posts
Not fair David, I said production.

So... take this: (from this past Saturday! :p)

And, these Low Production Number Units...

Now, which "bike" would you rather be riding??? :wink:

Eric :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The one I got. That big dog is too much bike for me.
I could take those umbrella girls for a ride, tho'.
dc

·
10,757 Posts
My Venture has a smaller version of the Yamaha V-4. A bigger motor on a smaller bike = fun. The Vmax is a aggressive looking beast. I would like one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looked up that vyrus on youtube and couldnt find a thing. also that BMW S1000 isnt the most powerful. lets just face it. NOTHING (except the y2k) compares to the vmax

·
Registered
248 Posts
looked up that vyrus on youtube and couldnt find a thing. also that BMW S1000 isnt the most powerful. lets just face it. NOTHING (except the y2k) compares to the vmax
Except '08 & newer Busa's & ZX14's. BTW wet weight on that Max is close to 700 lbs.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
This post has some misinfo....

just wanted to say i got the honor of sitting on a 2009 Yamaha VMAX. If you're even remotely interested in motorcycles i guaruntee you've heard of the yamaha vmax. its been around since the 1980's for a reason. The 2009 model is a 1800cc V4 shaft driven beast.
The 2009 model is 1679cc.

well hidden behind these 2 poopers was a brand new shiny 2009 (or 2010 i dont know) Yamaha Vmax. I walked over in awe and couldnt believe they had the most powerful production motorcycle in their stealership. After eye-balling the black and chrome motor and dual exhausts i hopped on the seat. The seat it very comfortable and pretty low but the motor is so darn big you have your legs spread like a "working girl" just to get your feet on the pegs. The speedometer went to 155mph but im sure with a little blackbox work it could easily gain 50+mph. Now I absolutely HATE cruisers and choppers but this bike is in a class all its own. The machine is shaft driven and weighs a ton (around 600lbs i think) but does anyone on this wonderful forum own a vmax? i know that yamaha only made 2,000 2009 Vmax's and its pretty rare but theres a reason it costs 18,000 dollars
Its not the most powerful production motorcycle.....Ive not actually seen any claim to that on Yamahas website either but I have read where others have said its the most powerful series production bike (ie mass produced). The Boss Hoss is a production bike and its rated at 450HP. Granted I think they are ridiculous but its a production bike....and its double+ HP rating of the VMax. The Boss Hoss and the Vyrus are both low production bikes.....so the claim of most powerful mass produced is still legit.

The speedometer may have gone to 155mph but the bike wont do it....its actually governed to governed to 137 mph, the black boxes have been programmed to recognize a dragstrip-style blast through the gears and in that case allow an extra 6 mph—but only for a quarter-mile. That aside if my math is right in theory it should hit 156mph with the limit removed......I dont see it hitting 200mph without MAJOR motor work.

Yamaha made more than 2000 2009 VMaxs......they only imported 2500 to the United States.....rest assured they are elsewhere in bigger numbers. Other countries love standard bikes.....not so much here in the US.

·
Registered
539 Posts
yeah the idea of "a little blackbox work" yielding the toughest 50mph a motorcycle has ever known seemed comical to me as well.

·
Underpaid
1,708 Posts
I'm surprised you don't see it more often where you're at. In every shop around here that carries the brand they have a vmax, so I'm seeing them all the time. I wouldn't say no if I was offered one, but it's not my kind of cruiser.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I love the futuristic "moon bike on steroids" look, but I think I'd prefer a Raider. More CCs (1854) and much better MPG (42 vs 27). Also $5K cheaper. But I'm sure being a V4, the VMax will completely humiliate a Raider.

·
Banned
4,381 Posts
T
The Boss Hoss is a production bike and its rated at 450HP. Granted I think they are ridiculous but its a production bike....and its double+ HP rating of the VMax. The Boss Hoss and the Vyrus are both low production bikes.....so the claim of most powerful mass produced is still legit.

The speedometer may have gone to 155mph but the bike wont do it....its actually governed to governed to 137 mph, the black boxes have been programmed to recognize a dragstrip-style blast through the gears and in that case allow an extra 6 mph—but only for a quarter-mile. That aside if my math is right in theory it should hit 156mph with the limit removed......I dont see it hitting 200mph without MAJOR motor work.
Last week at PJ's...

Eric :wink:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Remove over half of that god awful body plating and it MIGHT start looking like a motorcycle.

Can't say I'm too cray about the automotive style valve cover and exhaust manifold either.

Ew lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts