Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Nightfly
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't work Friday's so I tripped on over to the local Harley dealer and ran into a guy leaving the dealership in a not very happy mood. He owns a new Softail Slim but the sound of the bike was more than he could stand, I can't use his words here.

Seems he installed a set of pipes with slip on mufflers and is very happy with the sound of the bike, but now it pops on deceleration, too lean, and it's driving him crazy. He told me if he installs a higher flow air box he will need to flash a new map to the ECM. This will cure the problem of popping and richen up the air fuel mixture.

He said he signed a waiver when he bought the bike that stated his warranty will be void if he goes with the upgrade. He mumbled something about the dealer blaming the EPA and there was nothing they could do. His question to me was should he trust the new M8 engine enough to lose the remainder of his warranty? I told him I would wait until the warranty was no more and then go ahead with upgrading the bike

Anyone have any reliability information to pass along?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
Tell him not to do it! HD is voiding the warranty if modifications are made unless the Dealer's service dept does them.:surprise:

The M8 engine is problematic at this point, just go to YouTube and watch the horror stories:sad:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
2019 Harley Ultra Limited
9 Posts
Try a different dealership. Mine told me as long as I bought the Screaming Eagle tuner there wouldn't be a problem. Oh, and they even ordered my slip on mufflers for me (not scream eagle).

·
Registered
13 Posts
As long as the dealer performs the work the bike will be warrantied as normal. The advantage of the screaming eagle tuner is that it isn't an add-on. It changes the ECU then you take it off and put it up until, if, you want to change it again. There is not anything extra on your bike to mess up. The M8 has had a few bugs to work out. Very aggravating I know all I can say is once everything is taken care of it's a great engine. Mine was wet sumping, dealer took care of that and installed a stage III, I couldn't be happier. That was 12,xxx miles ago and not one problem since. Not all new M8s have any problems, mine did but I have several friends that haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You said it was a dealer that asked him to sign a warranty waiver? That suggests there are more facts behind this event. You also said "he" installed the slip-on pipes. There might be something behind that. It sounds like there is some non-Harley certified work/parts going on. That will void a warranty on anything. My advice would be to return the bike to stock and install certified upgrades. That or just chop it his way and accept the risks.

I can hear it now: "Omg that would be so expensive! Such a waste of money!" Well, this is a guy who owns a new motorcycle that costs 18 grand and swaps out parts with non-warrantied stuff. No indication of major financial limitations in his life.

As for M8 reliability, mine has run 18k without issue. It is stock and dealer maintained.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
One trip to YouTube: "M8 reliability problems," and I was convinced not to buy a new Electra Glide Standard that I was seriously considering!

The aftermarket already knows how to easily fix 99% of the engines problems but that will void the factory warranty!

Sam:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're looking for bad reports on the net about the M8 or anything else for that matter you wont have any trouble finding some. I've owned 10 new Harleys in my life and every new motor from the Evo to the M8 has had a few teething problems. They've always been taken care of and all those motors have proven to be very good motors. I've known people that have put over 100,000 miles on every thing Harley has built in the last 30 years. The new M8 will probably be good for 200,000 miles before an overhaul, in my opinion it's the best motor they have ever built.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Glider!
I'm a Harley guy and have had 3 over the years and was very active in various HOG chapters in Southern California and built big twin EVO Dyno winners:)

I bought a new Indian Scout not long ago on a 'whim' cause it was so darn pretty but I'm a HUGE guy so it's a little bit uncomfortable as compared to An Electra Glide or a Chieftan, so I'm going to do a deal soon on a bigger scoot:)

I visited the largest Harley Dealer in the 4 State area this morning and had a 'heart to heart' talk with a few of their top sales and service tech's that I have known for over 20 years and they assured me that the 'M8' problems were sorted out by Harley some time ago and I believed them.

I am in negotiations for a 2020 Electra Glide at this time:)

Stay tuned!

Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts
This site requests you introduce yourself as one of your first few posts so people know you are serious and not a hit and run type poster. Introductions found here ... https://www.motorcycleforum.com/forums/new-member-introduction.305/
If you're looking for bad reports on the net about the M8 or anything else for that matter you wont have any trouble finding some. I've owned 10 new Harleys in my life and every new motor from the Evo to the M8 has had a few teething problems. They've always been taken care of and all those motors have proven to be very good motors. I've known people that have put over 100,000 miles on every thing Harley has built in the last 30 years. The new M8 will probably be good for 200,000 miles before an overhaul, in my opinion it's the best motor they have ever built.
So in your opinion the models of 2020 have already had the issues w the M8 figured out?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
No, the problems have not been eliminated yet but it's a '**** shoot' whether you or I will get a good one or a bad one. YouTube has some good stuff on the M8.

Don't forget to introduce yourself Mike---asap.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
There are so many performance parts available for Harley engines, I wonder if the reported problems are with bone stock engines or not. Adding high performance parts and riding hard until something breaks, then putting the stock parts back in and taking the engine to a dealer for repairs is not unheard of.

·
Zip
2,529 Posts
I thought popping and burbling on trailing throttle were symptoms of being jetted too rich...
Could be too lean, too. Not enough fuel to combust in the high pressure combustion chamber, so it flows out through the exhaust valve into the lower pressure but still very hot exhaust header and ignites there.

·
Nightfly
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too lean a mixture in the carb will cause popping and burbling as you describe it. A few changes to the carb and all was good.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
Latest info as far as I can ascertain, Harley has fixed the M8 engine problems in late 1999 and the 20's and 21's won't supposedly be affected. I hope they have fixed the issues because a lot of we Harley people have become
disillusioned. o_O
Sam

·
Nightfly
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Didn't Harley fix the oil sumping problem with the fix being beginning on 2020 M8 engines? Apparently the original oil pump was inadequate.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
Yes TR you are right, it was mainly an inadequate oil pump but there were a few other reasons for the sumping issues along with a primary compensator problem.

Krusty, you are also right and that is why I have waited to buy another new Electra Glide. Maybe in early summer if they have fixed the problem I may buy one---LORD willing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.