Motorcycle Forum banner
101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
Honda VFR1200X (sold), only mod was "The BoosterPlug".
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Been toying with the idea of a ZRX 1200 (because of the eccentrics and no lower bodywork), toss on a 'Regina No Maintenance Chain' and use a really high end rolling stand.

Super easy oil change, crazy strong following/aftermarket... and a Kawasaki big four wizard I trust, has a (better than new, though overpriced) 2001, nicer than this one.

Reactions: Doktor

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
'Regina No Maintenance Chain' and use a really high end rolling stand .
I personally don't think that there is such a thing as maintenance free roller chains. Regardless of how they are constructed, you still have to lubricate the outside of the rollers to prevent excessive wear on the sprockets.

I believe that Pit-Bull make a good quality rolling stand.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX, 1995 Ducati, Harley panhead in a box
56 Posts
The Japanese manufacturers, have you all totally conned, bamboozled and completely hornswoggled.

They have you all believing, that even the calmest of cruisers and touring bikes, shouldn't have shaft drives or center stands, because you might lose a few horsepower and some precious cornering clearance.

The truth is, chain drives are much cheaper to build... and now that you all believe their tankful of swill, they don't even have to design around center stands.

You guys have probably saved them several hundred million dollars in production costs, as you clumsily lift your bikes up on some unstable contraption, just to change your oil and get filthy chain lube all over your back wheel.

You know, most street riders really need that 25 lb. low center of gravity weight reduction, 8 extra net horsepower and half inch more cornering clearance, for those mythical twisties, you all seem to be so obsessed with.

Most of us, can't even come close to out-riding the bikes we have on public roads. The Japanese manufacturers have successfully tricked you all and are many millions of dollars richer for it.

I have spoken.
My
The Japanese manufacturers, have you all totally conned, bamboozled and completely hornswoggled.

They have you all believing, that even the calmest of cruisers and touring bikes, shouldn't have shaft drives or center stands, because you might lose a few horsepower and some precious cornering clearance.

The truth is, chain drives are much cheaper to build... and now that you all believe their tankful of swill, they don't even have to design around center stands.

You guys have probably saved them several hundred million dollars in production costs, as you clumsily lift your bikes up on some unstable contraption, just to change your oil and get filthy chain lube all over your back wheel.

You know, most street riders really need that 25 lb. low center of gravity weight reduction, 8 extra net horsepower and half inch more cornering clearance, for those mythical twisties, you all seem to be so obsessed with.

Most of us, can't even come close to out-riding the bikes we have on public roads. The Japanese manufacturers have successfully tricked you all and are many millions of dollars richer for it.

I have spoken.
My 2002 VTX, has shaft drive.
Weighs in empty at @ 745 lbs, I have no desire to center stand it. Center stands are not for every bike.
I agree with your comments about outriding a modern bikes performance envelope.
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,619 Posts
My

My 2002 VTX, has shaft drive.
Weighs in empty at @ 745 lbs, I have no desire to center stand it. Center stands are not for every bike.
I agree with your comments about outriding a modern bikes performance envelope.
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.
It was my VTX1300 that I could put on the center-stand while sitting on the bike. It was great. Aftermarket item though. I think if I remember correctly I got it from another member of the Texas X Riders forum.

Reactions: -Nate and Kuiil

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
It was my VTX1300 that I could put on the center-stand while sitting on the bike. It was great. Aftermarket item though. I think if I remember correctly I got it from another member of the Texas X Riders forum.
Hhhhhhmmmm. Rule violation there. Rule 13. You should ban yourself for a few days....or at least give yourself a warning. :LOL:

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,619 Posts
Believe it or not I had trouble decided to post a link or not but decided it was for the better good for all to know.
But now that you’ve harassed a moderator, that’s grounds for banning. Yet another rules violation. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Interestingly, the Japanese manufacturers appeared, in many of their prototypes, to include shaft drives, as the future of motorcycles. Yet, as non-sporting/mild-sporting/touring/sport-touring riders, were willing to accept, the much less expensive to produce, chain drives, they are more than happy to produce, what said riders are willing to sometimes unknowingly accept.

That is why I jokingly refer to it as the, "The Japanese Chain Drive Conspiracy". Of course, there's no actual conspiracy. There is, however, a marketing ploy, many of us have fallen victim to.

I wonder, how many have purchased new Kawasaki Vulcan Ss, Honda Rebels and Yamaha XSRs, thinking of cruising around, enjoying themselves; only to find out the gruesome reality of having to grunt and muscle their bikes around... many times in very limited garage space... to maintain a (greasy, oily, filthy) chain, without even the benefit of simple factory center stand?

“The future” 25 years on

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
793 Posts
" I wonder, how many have purchased......."

You mean like my 1965 Harley-Davidson FL PanHead ? .

It was a beast and weighed in at slightly over 820# with no accessories .

It did have the Jiffy stand though, at 18 Y.O. and 165 # I had no troubles setting it up on that stand unless there was a hill, or uneven pavement, or a side slope, or dirt or....

Well, never mind .

Chains are simply an inexpen$ive engineering shortcut that increases profits and gives more power to the drive wheel, that's it .

I hate chains but my Tiddlers would all be restricted to about 35 MPH wide open in they had shafts .

As I said, it was tried in the 1950's and 1960's , before then American bicycles tried shafts too, very nice for women but not many bought them .

Reactions: Kuiil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you guys for the warm welcome! Most appreciated! I thought I was going to get zapped!

If any of these were made new, in updated versions, any and/or all of them would be sitting in my garage right now:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kawasaki+gt750

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=suzuki+katana+gs650g

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=honda+nighthawk+700s

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yamaha+xj+900+s
Well, my 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, looks alot like #1, but has more modern suspension, fuel injection, abs, and 111hp.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Well, my 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, looks alot like #1, but has more modern suspension, fuel injection, abs, and 111hp.
Stunning color scheme for that bike! :love: You must get tons of compliments! My deal is, I am so done messing around with chains, etc (for now). Me 'n wifey are only riding about 5-7K mi/yr now. Just want to cruise, change the oil and take it to the dealer once a year.

When I finally retire, we're thinking of moving out to a more rural area, near some friends. My buddy wants to get enduros and/or high end mountain bikes... or something. I've always loved KTMs but, the Zuki DR-Z400S will do 80% of what the middle KTM enduros will, for ⅓ the price and maintenance. It also has snail cam chain adjusters, which makes chain adjustments almost matter of one click.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Dig it ! . I had the later one with the external oiling , critical for long engine life .

I still remember seeing that movie in the theater......

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
There is simply not enough diversity in motorcycles today. They are mostly all pseudo-clones of each other. Back in the eighties, you could find all different types of interesting shaft drive: sport bikes / standards / cruisers / tourers... I believe there were even a few shaft drive enduros and dirt bikes.

One of the reasons, there might not be a great deal of things to discuss, is discussion is fueled by diversity and comparison. The only things being left to compare, are bikes of completely different classification, which is not really a valid comparison.

Honda's new sport tourer is a fine example, as well as the other chain drive sport tourers, from the other big three.

We have allowed the big manufacturers to sell us what they want, instead of, what we want.

Have a quick browse through all the interesting and diversified shaft drive bikes of the eighties for yourselves and tell me if I'm wrong.

Category:Motorcycles introduced in the 1980s - Wikipedia

Vive la différence!

·
Registered
793 Posts
You cannot possibly imagine how wrong you are here :

The Japanese and to a lesser extent European Moto manufacturers all tried to sell many different Motos to Americans, remember the center hub Yamaha ? .

I've been looking at Motocycles since the early 1960's and noticing than what I'd want to buy new doesn't match what Americans typically want to buy .

In the late 1980's I discovered a warehouse jammed full of brandy new crated unsold Motocyles, mostly Hondas but many others, many were just sitting outside filling up the parking lot and I took some time to read the crates and discovered many small to medium sized bikes that simply put : no one wanted .

I tried hard for a few years to buy some but was rebuffed at every turn - they'd not even tell me who owned them all nor what they were doing there, where they might be going etc....

Never forget this : the primary business of business is : BUSINESS so when any product, new or old fails to sell, they drop it, cut their losses and move on .

101 - 120 of 166 Posts