Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Honda VFR1200X (sold), only mod was "The BoosterPlug".
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Japanese manufacturers, have you all totally conned, bamboozled and completely hornswoggled.

They have you all believing, that even the calmest of cruisers and touring bikes, shouldn't have shaft drives or center stands, because you might lose a few horsepower and some precious cornering clearance.

The truth is, chain drives are much cheaper to build... and now that you all believe their tankful of swill, they don't even have to design around center stands.

You guys have probably saved them several hundred million dollars in production costs, as you clumsily lift your bikes up on some unstable contraption, just to change your oil and get filthy chain lube all over your back wheel.

You know, most street riders really need that 25 lb. low center of gravity weight reduction, 8 extra net horsepower and half inch more cornering clearance, for those mythical twisties, you all seem to be so obsessed with.

Most of us, can't even come close to out-riding the bikes we have on public roads. The Japanese manufacturers have successfully tricked you all and are many millions of dollars richer for it.

I have spoken.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You had me at hornswoggled. I know a quality rant when I see it. I’m not sure I agree on all of it either but you get the nod of approval for the flair. High points for style too.
Thank you!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. My wife is teetering on a decision to get a bike and start riding, and the Nighthawk is always one she points to and says, "Why can't we find something like that?"
Possibly a stupid suggestion? Maybe have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=suzuki+boulevard+s40

...and if she really likes it, perhaps a few choice components from this kit:

suzuki boulevard s40 cafe kit - Google Search

(suggestion made, because of the above ➕ clean, low maintenance belt drive)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wot about Moto Guzzi and the Italian conspiracy? Wot about BMW and the German conspiracy.
I removed the center stand from my XS11 with a shaft drive.
I shortened the center stand on my Triumph Trophy with a chain drive.
I use a cheap industrial chain on my XS400, and retained the center stand.
My SV1000S does not have a center stand, so I bought one of those lifty things.
My CT00 has and extra length of chain, to be added when the large sprocket is used. This is for the high low gearing change. UK
Excellent thoughts! As of this discussion, I might try cafe-ing out a:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=honda+nt700v+deauville+review

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It doesn't just save the manufacturer money, it saves the consumer money. If you add every feature possible to a motorcycle then my $7500 OTD FZ09 would have cost $20k.

Also, weight is a huge factor with chain drive over shaft drive. Not everyone wants a bike that weighs 600lbs+. Some of us value lightness over everything.
Nose Hair Head Glasses Cartoon

(my apologies in advance, just couldn't resist)​

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Chains are a pain, I agree. I do miss the shaft drives on my Hondas, and the centerstand on my NT was handy, even though I needed help to deploy it. Is it a conspiracy? Dunno. But I added a Scottoiler to my NINJA 650 so I wouldn't have to mess with lubing the chain every time I turn around. I have to have help putting my bike on the rear stand, and I don't want to have to bother my family every week for it, not to mention when I'm on a 3000-4000 mile trip every summer. Heck, I'm about 375 miles from my folks, so I would have to dink with it on the other end when I ride up to see them, too.:eek:
The NT700V wouldn't be a beginner bike for most folks, especially the vertically-challenged, which most women tend to be (How tall is your wife, Roger?) They're also a pretty portly 600 lbs (the NT, not most women :ROFLMAO:), plus however much stuff you cram into the cases (I had the optional top case on mine), which is something to consider when you think about having to pick it up alone if it's dropped. I could pick up mine (I'm 5'2", somewhere in the neighborhood of 145lbs), provided it was flat, paved, dry, the stars were aligned just so, and I held my tongue right. But I never turned down any help that was cheerfully offered.:giggle: Luckily, they have built in front fairing guards so they don't go all the way down. And some of us on the NT forum took to adding automotive bumper guards to the side bags to keep them from getting scraped up in a drop. I had the wide lids and the lower fairing, both of which had to be ordered from the UK.
Beautiful Lady! Beautiful Motorcycle! Great Photography! Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: -Nate

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My Honda has two rear sprockets on the rear wheel. With a large difference in size. One for off road, and one for on road. Later models have a two speed transfer case.
I am up to speed with sprockets. We used to change them often for each track. I ran a Suzuki rear wheel in my Featherbed frame, for that reason. Used 16 and 17 on the front, to get away from small sprockets. 30 and up on the rear.
Sizes from memory. Notes long gone, but now and then I find some 180 main jets in my tool box. UK
Gotta love those early mechanical gadgets! Good one! Hey, remember that Honda CB900 Custom, with the dual range tranny⁉

Reactions: -Nate

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Rather than a conspiracy, this is the reason for chain drives - it allows for variation in sprocket ratios, which a shaft can't, and the fact that a set of sprockets and chain is way cheaper than a differential rebuild.
All true. Question: How many times have you (or anyone here), actually seen (or legitimately know of) someone change gearing or do a differential rebuild, on a normally ridden street bike? Let's be real now, a normally ridden street bike please.

• Haha
Reactions: Doktor

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What were the last middleweight (750ish-900ish), Japanese inline fours, shaft drive, with a center stand ❔ ❓

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
A divine coincidence:

1.) Taller rear tire = taller net gearing + tighter handling (better for basic street)

2.) Lower aspect rear tire = lower net gearing + more stability (better for ⅛ mi. street runs)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
If anyone is wondering the reason I sold my "X", it's simply due to it becoming progressively more expensive to maintain, i.e., fix. Finally, had everything fixed, sold it to a riding buddy, who is fully aware of the same.

Now, I'm trying to figure out, what shaft drive w/ center stand, Japanese (or British, wifey won't tolerate the maintenance of an Italian) bike. Yes, I love Moto Guzzi; the style and shaft, simply isn't worth the "Lucas - Prince of Darkness" level of wiring and electrical/electronic challenges/intricacies to me.

Unfortunately, although they're fantastic, adventure bikes usually don't appeal to me. I'll never use their (extraordinary, though understandable, added expense) full capabilities either.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Owned an 850 Le Mans and an SP 1000. Never had a problem with electrics. I very much doubt that you would have a problem with recent models.

Had several Dukes ( not KTM - but the real Dukes), and their Italian wiring was terrible. Having said that, I have had an Aprilia Falco 1000, and current ride an Aprilia 750 Shiver ABS. No electrical problems what-so-ever - only with the 70's Dukes.

I have also not read of any wiring problems with recent MG motorcycles.

IMO you are just spouting stuff that you have heard/read online without any experience of the machine/s in question.

But ...carry on. (y), anything to keep a thread alive.
My apologies, didn't mean to make anyone shiver 😊.

Yes, it is annoying, especially to someone of expertise, when a seemingly amateur, professes to know things, of which they have no hands-on experience.

Came to this forum because, it looked like the best one for some intelligent brainstorming...

...and I was correct.

Yes, I've lusted after several Guzzis, who wouldn't?

Though, someone of expertise, has to very sincerely consider that this:

Moto Guzzi Electrical Problems - Google Search

...could be quite disconcerting to an average (albeit old-school) plumber, such as myself?

I can fix your toilet, even fabricate you some simple fittings for your bathroom or kitchen, but...

...I cannot do major repairs on motorcycles.

I'd be in over my head, even deeper than when a customer's septic tank was about to burst because, her kid dumped ten gallons of decade old diesel fuel down the toilet bowl. The best way I can describe that smell is literally, Godzilla's fart. It was horrible down there! Absolutely horrible! I digress...

If a Japanese or British company, made a modern version of any one of these:

Ref: my post # 2694197

...I'd grab at least two, more if I could afford it.

No doubt, the Italian bikes are the most beautiful and possibly the most well crafted, I just can't handle the maintenance, that's all.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Yamaha will not reveal or supply the crush washer for the middle drive. To get at the oil seal that was leaking, the middle drive needs to be taken apart. New seals are available, but you can not put the unit back together, without the crush washer. This could be a problem with many shaft drive bikes, as they age.
New chains and sprockets abound. UK
crush washer all sizes - Google Search

1 - 20 of 52 Posts