Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I remember years ago seeing a sign warning motorcyclists on the road up to Yosemite to be extra careful because of oil in the middle of the lane. The huge number of motor homes and trailers laboring up the steep incline were puking oil out of their engines and trans. One of my worst crashes was due to oil in the middle of an uphill right hand curve down in Baja.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Or the older road that has developed those groves in it where the tires of the cages travel and the high center. They suck when it rains or after a rainfall on a bike because of the water that they hold.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Or the older road that has developed those groves in it where the tires of the cages travel and the high center. They suck when it rains or after a rainfall on a bike because of the water that they hold.
You ain't seen nuttin. Come down here in July and August when the temps are 100º+ on any asphalt road trucks travel and you'll have a blast riding their ruts and swells.

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
The worst I've seen recently is Route 84 in the Danbury Connecticut area.
The tire ruts in the right and middle lanes are so bad that the bike keeps
hunting all over the road trying to climb to the high spots.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Got in one last year on north I-287 that was so bad that I thought I was getting a flat and starting to fishtail. Was just the wheels finding their own path down the high sides of the ruts. I broke out of it and went for the smoother oil middle. Not sure which was worse but I hate that wobble feeling at 75mph.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Been on some highways where the right lane was so bad I'd get in the left lane although state law said left lane was for passing only. I'd run the left lane but if someone came up behind me, I'd move over so they could pass, then I'd get back in the left lane.

If I remember right, highway 65 south from I-40 in Oklahoma, there were places it was just bad all over. I think it becomes highway 75 in Texas. Texas side was better, but last time I went through there, there was a lot of road construction. That's been a while, hope they're done by now. Lot of big truck traffic on those highways.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
I think those ruts are in every major highway nation wide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts