Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
No offense, but l hate this crap. I don't want a car that can drive itself, a motorcycle that can balance itself, or a dog that can pick up its own turd. The so-called "big people" of the world will push this crap down our throats until you and l are no longer allowed to drive, or ride, or even own a vehicle.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No offense, but l hate this crap. I don't want a car that can drive itself, a motorcycle that can balance itself, or a dog that can pick up its own turd. The so-called "big people" of the world will push this crap down our throats until you and l are no longer allowed to drive, or ride, or even own a vehicle.
I take no offense... I didn't invent it... But I think the tech is impressive..

As far as the future, I am guessing it's just a matter of time before they won't let people drive themselves... It's too expensive for the insurance companies... lol

Hey Hawk, how about this? This might be more to your liking..
https://youtu.be/bpko3CPHonQ

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I take no offense... I didn't invent it... But I think the tech is impressive..

As far as the future, I am guessing it's just a matter of time before they won't let people drive themselves... It's too expensive for the insurance companies... lol

Hey Hawk, how about this? This might be more to your liking..
https://youtu.be/bpko3CPHonQ
I could ride one of those, so long as it stayed fairly low to the ground.

Back in the day, l took my Mom skydiving on her 55th birthday. She loved it. I crapped my pants

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can get it for the auto-car: perfect for commuters and lazy ppl, but I just can imagine someone hacking into your car in order to kill you. Isn't there a recent news article about some successful hacking that did all sorts of things to a modern car? Now imagine those cars of the future. (As an aside, I'd never understand ppl that want to have their security sys accessible from the internet, same hacking risks.)

Re the balancing bike, I don't get it at all. It's just over-complicating things as I'm sure that they could've kept the same size and fit it w/ 3 wheels instead, so why bother w/ the gyros? Also, isn't that one of the main pts of riding, to have some level of skill to keep the thing balanced? Don't get this one at all.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Re the balancing bike, I don't get it at all. It's just over-complicating things as I'm sure that they could've kept the same size and fit it w/ 3 wheels instead, so why bother w/ the gyros? Also, isn't that one of the main pts of riding, to have some level of skill to keep the thing balanced? Don't get this one at all.
Interesting point about a third wheel... Of course the nature of a three wheeler is totally different..and much wider. I don't know if it would handle as well...or be more prone to rolling over...

But in this case, no, the point isn't to develop skills. It's to make something that will sell, for those who are looking for an economical mode of transport that's still safe, fun and not likely to tip over...

I could definitely see the anti tip tech making it into motorcycles... I think the riding experience would be much the same.. You'd still have to lean to turn and so on, you'd still need most of the skills. You'd still have the same feeling of riding but you'd never have to plant the feet when stopped or worry about dropping that nice new bike, which I bet many would like, not to mention the wow factor...

Anyway it's an interesting product to me.. Have to wait and see it something like this catches on... It might be slightly ahead of its time...with today's still low gas prices.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
....................l took my Mom skydiving on her 55th birthday. She loved it. I crapped my pants
So you were thinking, "if I die; at least I die with my mommy?!" (lol).

I haven't really liked what I've seen locally, with the three wheeler Spiders (or whatever they're called). I get that they may be "fun," and they may provide a more stable platform, but that takes all the "fun" OUT of it, for ME!

-Soupy

·
Registered
195 Posts
Interesting point about a third wheel... Of course the nature of a three wheeler is totally different..and much wider. I don't know if it would handle as well...or be more prone to rolling over...

But in this case, no, the point isn't to develop skills. It's to make something that will sell, for those who are looking for an economical mode of transport that's still safe, fun and not likely to tip over...

I could definitely see the anti tip tech making it into motorcycles... I think the riding experience would be much the same.. You'd still have to lean to turn and so on, you'd still need most of the skills. You'd still have the same feeling of riding but you'd never have to plant the feet when stopped or worry about dropping that nice new bike, which I bet many would like, not to mention the wow factor...

Anyway it's an interesting product to me.. Have to wait and see it something like this catches on... It might be slightly ahead of its time...with today's still low gas prices.
I would reckon those ppl interested in it would still be if it was 2 or 3 wheels, so I'm just scratching my head why they wish to go the complicated route w the gyro.

If I could get one w a 'hidden' gyro then maybe lol....jk...I think it may go against some conservative riders' views esp if every noob can now magically drag knees w the best of them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So you were thinking, "if I die; at least I die with my mommy?!" (lol).

I haven't really liked what I've seen locally, with the three wheeler Spiders (or whatever they're called). I get that they may be "fun," and they may provide a more stable platform, but that takes all the "fun" OUT of it, for ME!

-Soupy
I just can't get that image from Sons out of my head: 3 wheeler=infertile a la Piney lol.

·
8,621 Posts
The future for motorcycles is the electric models. Every day, by leaps and bounds they get more efficient and roadworthy. Hybrids with gas and electric power will more than likely be developed to extend range.

Self driving vehicles will surely be reconsidered in light of the fact that due to Bluetooth and Sync/ Wi-Fi technology, the vehicles are wide open to Hackers:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/07...-vehicle-before-hackers-kill/?intcmp=features

Imagine the above scenario with a self driving vehicle:frown:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would reckon those ppl interested in it would still be if it was 2 or 3 wheels, so I'm just scratching my head why they wish to go the complicated route w the gyro.
You have to look at it like an engineer... The three wheel idea might seem to solve a problem but it's a completely different platform... My guess is that with three wheels which would have to be considerably wider you would increase weight and part count significantly. Then there is the problem of handling.. Three wheelers (both types) handle more like a car not a bike..

So I would guess it's really a totally different and possibly less efficient design..bigger, bulkier, heavier, more parts. The gyros must be solving design problems while allowing them to be efficient, enough so to make the electric power viable.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The future for motorcycles is the electric models. Every day, by leaps and bounds they get more efficient and roadworthy. Hybrids with gas and electric power will more than likely be developed to extend range.

Self driving vehicles will surely be reconsidered in light of the fact that due to Bluetooth and Sync/ Wi-Fi technology, the vehicles are wide open to Hackers:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/07...-vehicle-before-hackers-kill/?intcmp=features

Imagine the above scenario with a self driving vehicle:frown:

Sam:coffeescreen:
I don't think so... No more than reconsidering any autonomous system, like elevators... Just recently they did a coast to coast test that I believe was successful.

Wide scale navigation systems would be redundant, failsafe, and probably less susceptible to a hacker than a private car as in the video, which is already vulnerable... Smart cars will get smarter and security no doubt a part of that technology...

IMO your, or others great grandchildren will be saying something like, 'Is it true that waaaaay back when you were a kid people used to drive themselves? Even on two wheel machines? OMG'......

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
I think you are right and at some point it will forced on everyone. "For your safety". Once they prove they reduce wrecks by vehicle to vehicle communication. No more bumper cars.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you are right and at some point it will forced on everyone. "For your safety". Once they prove they reduce wrecks by vehicle to vehicle communication. No more bumper cars.
Yeah, I think it's inevitable... It'll be a while yet but it's coming...

Hell planes do it now, and land themselves too... Hackers or no.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you even read the Hacking story I linked? Now, imagine steering control being affected!

I'm not sure if Automobiles fall under Issac Asimov's immutable laws for ROBOTS (and robotic systems):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

Sam:biggrin:
Yes, but I don't see it stopping "progress" anymore than it has stopped autonomous systems coming into their own in the past present or future... It will SHAPE progress though....

And then your robots... Another example of autonomous tech... That's coming too...hackers or no.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think they are pretty cool, not for me but very cool. I like the self balancing but I still want to be in control of my bikes and cars.

G

·
I think the gyro would be cool for some people (not me) if they could sell it as a kit so people could mount them to a regular motorcycle. I agree with some of the members and also think that eventually this type of tech will be shoved down our throats. I hope by that time, I will be long gone. But because technology moves ahead quickly, I may see those days, unfortually. :(

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Motorcycles are very stable at all but the lowest speeds. Most of us have no problem staying upright even when moving quite slowly while starting up or slowing down. Its only when we come to a stop, or just slightly before that when there is a real effort needed to keep from falling over. Years ago I saw (and believe it is still available) an add-on kit for Goldwings and some other bikes where stabilizing small wheels extend from the underside of the bike when speed drops to under about 5 mph. This allows a rider to stop and go without ever taking their feet off of the pegs and eliminates the fear of tipping over.

Years ago I owned a Kawasaki Concours, which was a great bike but quite top heavy, especially after just filling up with gas. Being somewhat short, I always felt a bit of uncertainty when first starting out from a stop, or when slowing down to a stop, or when paddling around in a parking lot. Something that keeps the bike from falling over without interfering in the riding experience would have been welcome. An added benefit of this mechanical solution is that no outside hacking is possible.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Years ago I saw (and believe it is still available) an add-on kit for Goldwings and some other bikes where stabilizing small wheels extend from the underside of the bike when speed drops to under about 5 mph. This allows a rider to stop and go without ever taking their feet off of the pegs and eliminates the fear of tipping over.
Still being made... called the Leg Up Landing Gear system.

The Patented LegUp™ design was created for those who for whatever reason are concerned about, or unable to hold up these 850 lb monsters as they come to a stop. Older riders, bad knees, bad hips, or any other reason someone might want a little help keeping the rubber side down... This will do it!
More info HERE

1 - 20 of 35 Posts