Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arc Vector have design a bike that has been described as the most advanced ever. It is sold with an integrated jacket and helmet.

The bespoke jacket, called Origin, has a human machine interface, which contains audio-type haptic amplifiers built into its armour, which work like a smart phone’s vibration notifications. The rider is warned of potential hazards by amplifiers on the jacket which provide dynamic performance-based feedback.

The heads up display in the helmet and the sense of touch is used by both the helmet and jacket work in together with the Vector bike to remove distractions.

The Arc Vector is performance electric motorcycle with the best power-to-weight ratio of any electric motorbike in its class and is priced around $117,000.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
That is some "Iron Man" level tech there! Very interesting but I do not welcome that level of interface! Should only be about 10-15 years before it becomes reasonably affordable...

·
On The Road Again!
4,341 Posts
A hundred and seventeen THOUSAND DOLLARS?????
For a BIKE???????????????????
Who the hell do they think is going to buy that thing?
Sure as hell won't be me.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
A hundred and seventeen THOUSAND DOLLARS?????
For a BIKE???????????????????
Who the hell do they think is going to buy that thing?
Sure as hell won't be me.
They are planning to only make just over 300, for the very wealthy who want the bleeding edge of technology.
I'd like to see a video of the steering; not that I'd buy, but just curious.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think it was about 2002 or so I saw a Sharp 42 inch LED television for around $8,500. Now that screen size can be gotten for a few hundred dollars.

Airbag equipped jackets or clothing, helmets, even motorcycle mounted deployable and directional barriers are possible and the prices in a few years will be affordable. And we may need them in a Gen Millennial dominated world of automatic driving cars.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
That front end swingarm is a rip off of the 1990 Bimota Tesi hub centered steering. This design never caught on because steering was terrible. I read an article that said it had the turning radius of a Mack truck!
On their web site, they say that was due to little or no front end dive, and that it has been improved with their latest design. I doubt many will have a chance to verify that.:thumbsdown:

·
So long
2,739 Posts
On their web site, they say that was due to little or no front end dive, and that it has been improved with their latest design. I doubt many will have a chance to verify that.:thumbsdown:
My last bike had a double wishbond front suspension with a monoshock, similar to what's now on the BMW K1600 series. That's a claim that they made too - little to no front end dive. And it is true, the bike had great stopping power with no dive. But the design made the bike have a long wheelbase.

Now about that front end dive - modern suspensions and good riding skills can make that suspension work for you without resorting to the complexity of center hub steering.

Some bikes have electronic riding aids that also minimize front end dive and use sensors to dynamically adjust suspension setting as you ride. Ducati's Skyhook semi-active suspension is an example.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Yeah, it seems to be an example of 'gee whiz' engineering, to impress those with $$$$ to spend, and little actual experience.

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Wot Oz said about the suspension.
There is much to learn about adjusting the good modern suspension, found on many bikes.
And some of it even can be applied to the old crappy suspension on my 79 Yamaha.
I have a book on suspension, not with me so I can not supply the title.

About the OP. Only one example. When the back end of your bike wiggles or slides a bit, I do not think we need sensors and displays to let us know.
I have been preaching forever, for folks to ride in the dirt, and figure it out.
Just because we have the ability to make all kinds of hi tech electrical systems, does not mean we need to apply them everywhere.

UK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts