Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Great Plains of America have freed my spirit, and expanded my horizons; the mountains of America have caused my heart to soar with the eagles; the great seashores of America excite my soul, and cause my lips to whisper above the thunder of the waves.... "Go! Go! Go and seek!" To move is to live, and only living things move....

·
7,762 Posts
The many Gridlocks of the Interstate and highway systems, turnpikes and freeways have expanded my consciousness due to the inhalation of the ever present diesel big rig, Dump truck, School bus, old Low rider or $100 cage commuter's overly rich and polluted exhaust, causing me to dream of the areas you mentioned.:mad:

Oh wait, I moved away from all of that southern California insanity and now live in a riders paradise, except for the lack of large mountains, scenic coastal highways and earthquakes and ump-teen millions of--ahh guest workers everywhere:wink:

Now all I have to put up with is a much shorter riding season and some Tornado's like we had last night:(

All kidding aside, your description was very poetic and took me to the areas you were describing. I also have been all over this country and seen all of the beauty and variety of the beautiful United States.:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
:71baldboy:

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Amen

With the twist of a wrist and a fistful of thunder
Get me knees in the breeze til the devil pulls me under
I ride
I've got a steed made of steel, it's heart plated chrome
With a belly of fire and the road as a home
I ride
Black ribbon stretched out to the horizon
Mist in the air as the sun is rising
I ride
From hell hot days to cold grey skies
Through moonless nights with headlight eyes
I ride
From the altar of the sunrise
To the funeral pyre in westward skies
I ride

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Peace

Well I am on the main road on my Island. I am facing it as I type. The road runs East West. When the sun comes up it shines right up the road, which it did earlier, but now the clouds are moving in. I will be riding up Island this morning, and hope to be there and back before any rain. There has been zero vehicles go by as I type, and I have paused often.
The big Island next to me is mostly not crowded, but Victoria at the bottom is a jungle. Sorry I have no traffic to report. Most of the folks live on the top end of the Island, near the village and the ferry terminal.

Unkle Crusty

·
7,762 Posts
Wow Crusty, I just looked up your Island on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Gabriola+Island&title=Special:Search

What a beautiful place to live. I would give up bikes altogether with that much good fishing around!

I used to drive the motorhome up to Port Angeles and Neah Bay every year and dreamed of Salmon fishing there but I had to settle for salmon fishing in Oregon and California.

Any bears on that island?

Sam:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Bears

Wow Crusty, I just looked up your Island on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Gabriola+Island&title=Special:Search

What a beautiful place to live. I would give up bikes altogether with that much good fishing around!

I used to drive the motorhome up to Port Angeles and Neah Bay every year and dreamed of Salmon fishing there but I had to settle for salmon fishing in Oregon and California.

Any bears on that island?

Sam:biggrin:
No bears, just enough deer to feed everyone for about a year.
It is a nice ride around the Island. Speed limit is about 40. I usually do about 60, but slow down for anyone else about.
Each US Memorial Day weekend in May, there is a sail boat race out of Victoria. There is a short course that stays the Victoria side of Race Rocks. Next one goes to Clallam Bay, an 80 mile round trip. Then Neah Bay about 110 miles, and the long course goes to the open ocean, around the Swiftsure Light ship that isn't there anymore and back. Two weeks prior a group of boats race up from Oregon. I am not sure if I will be ready in time to race this year. It is a two day trip from here to Victoria, two days for the race, and two days to get back. my plan for the most excellent summer cruise this year, is to catch more fish.
I am 800 steps up the road from Silva Bay, on South Road.

Unkle Crusty

·
On The Road Again!
3,386 Posts
With the twist of a wrist and a fistful of thunder
Get me knees in the breeze til the devil pulls me under
I ride
I've got a steed made of steel, it's heart plated chrome
With a belly of fire and the road as a home
I ride
Black ribbon stretched out to the horizon
Mist in the air as the sun is rising
I ride
From hell hot days to cold grey skies
Through moonless nights with headlight eyes
I ride
From the altar of the sunrise
To the funeral pyre in westward skies
I ride
Joe, that needs to be put to music. Would make a good rock song.
(if it hasn't been done already!)

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I jotted that on a road map years ago while on a solo tour in northern Wisconsin.
I cleaned it up a bit when I got home, but it's basically just how it came to me on that cool morning along the shore of Lake Superior.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,127 Posts
deleted %&&%$

1 - 20 of 55 Posts