Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant post video till my post count is high if i have to il pm but it is somewhat bad

I can open these doors without a key but i cant lock them at all.

Is there a way to fix this at all by chance i want to be able to store stuff while im driving without the flying open (again)

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,558 Posts
Might help if you say what bike and which "doors" you are referring to.

22,558 Posts
Most locks like that just have a flap on the inside that you are moving that gets behind the other part of the scooter. You don't show what the back side of the lock looks like but my guess is someone took a Dremel with cutting wheel and cut the flap off or just removed the flap. Here's one that shows the flap you might be rotating with the key. You can buy replacement locks which many have different changeable flaps you can try. The other thing that might be happening is the lock has rotated and the flap just isn't getting behind the other part of the bike. There is usually a keyway that keeps it from rotating and it might be worn through allowing it to get out of place.

· Gone.
14,767 Posts
No, find a bike that has the lock pieces intact and see what they look like. Then you can maybe fabricate a repair piece. From the pictures it looks like the lock strike plate has been cut out. You may be bale to cobble one together from a piece of sheet metal or something.

If that's not possible you can always go ******* and attach a hasp and padlock on the outside.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, find a bike that has the lock pieces intact and see what they look like. Then you can maybe fabricate a repair piece. From the pictures it looks like the lock strike plate has been cut out. You may be bale to cobble one together from a piece of sheet metal or something.

If that's not possible you can always go ******* and attach a hasp and padlock on the outside.
Id rather not ******* its my first 250cc n i want to try n keep it nice

22,558 Posts
It looks to me like the door has been closed in the locked position a few times. If you can get the tab part off the lock you might be able to bend the portion that makes a right angle turn and the end and get it to actually get into the open slot and lock. I'd apply some heat but just taking a hammer to it to flatten it might work if it's soft metal. I'd be very careful to just bend it enough to lock and not get too far passed the 90º point. Just a couple degrees should do it. If that doesn't work don't be afraid to ******* it. In the closed and locked position no one will see it anyway. In fact a piece of sheetmetal with a slot would make it more secure than the plastic alone anyway. Looking at it again it looks like it might be getting in the slot but hitting the left edge. Try filing the slot open to the left just a little more. That just might do it. It won't hurt to try that first. Looks like just one or two stroke or a very light touch with a Dremel would do it if I'm seeing the scratch marks where the flap portion goes in right.

That is if that's where the flap portion actually goes. Hard to tell between the two pictures but it would make sense it's the spot.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i want to do something to fix but most people are telling me to just leave it its not worth fixing or to expensive

I want to make this bike look nice but i feel like i may go simple n do velcro or something (for now)

22,558 Posts
i want to do something to fix but most people are telling me to just leave it its not worth fixing or to expensive

I want to make this bike look nice but i feel like i may go simple n do velcro or something (for now)
Well it won't cost anything for a few file whacks. Unless you don't have a file. But even then you can get a cheap file that can remove ever so little plastic where I showed you. Probably as much as velcro but talk about *******.:surprise:

Think I'm done here.:sad:

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it won't cost anything for a few file whacks. Unless you don't have a file. But even then you can get a cheap file that can remove ever so little plastic where I showed you. Probably as much as velcro but talk about *******.:surprise:

Think I'm done here.:sad:
I just dont know how to file but il have the mechanic friend take a look at it i havent had anything checked since i bought it a week ago

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.