Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum used to be one of my "go to" daily web visits. Especially during the winter months when I am not riding, coming here was a way to keep my mind and spirit on motorcycling along with reading the several magazines that I subscribe to and attending the annual International Motorcycle Show. And while I like the new format of the forum, participation seems to be dropping lower and lower. Numerous times I come here and click on "General Motorcycle Discussion", a place that used to have new threads every day, and often on things I was interested in. But now it seems I can check several days in a row with virtually nothing new. I'm sad to see this happening. Yes, I still have my Goldwing forums and my Honda Scooter forum, but this used to be, for me, the gold standard of internet forums. Sadly this is far from true anymore. I wish I knew what I might do to help jump start the forum back into popularity with riders other than scratching my brain to come up with new posts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
participation seems to be dropping lower and lower.
Apart from the usual seasonal factors, there is a general decline in the use
of old-style Internet forums. Apart from a few dinosaurs like me, everyone
seems to have moved their activities to the various social media platforms.
Facebook/WhatsApp seems to be the current favourite.

I wish I knew what I might do to help jump start the forum back into popularity with riders other than scratching my brain to come up with new posts.
Keep scratching and posting. Hopefully spring will bring some new activity.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Facebook and other social media are fine for time oriented announcements and little quips, like the date and place for a get together, or a cute photo and a smart ass comment. But it does not lend itself to real discussions as we sometimes get into on this and other forums. I wonder if the decrease in activity here just reflects the decrease in popularity of motorcycling in general in this country (since most of our participants are from the USA).

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I'd suspect part of it is generational. I wanted to get done with school so bad because I wanted to get a job and a car. When I finally got my first car, that was my freedom machine. My kids wanted a cell phone.

Instead of Crickets, I should have got them both AT&T Princess phones...

·
Nightfly
3,748 Posts
At one time this was my favorite place to park for a couple hours. However I made the mistake of becoming a moderator. Big mistake, from which I got kicked off of for reasons best left unsaid. At the same time the big change was made and at that time members that I know quickly departed. Some chose to blame the loss of Dods and Eye but that wasn't the reason, they were a result of changing authority of this forum.

I belong to another forum that I will not name, and that forum is really fun and guys always taking part with treads kept active by hundreds of guys who are always joining in the fray. Here, I feel no desire to take part anymore. The topics are boring and the same old thing. There are threads that are still listed as popular but have no activity for days, weeks and months, some even years.

I keep hearing how the mods are on top of new guys that don't want to play by some sort of insidious rules and therefore are kicked off the forum before anyone has a change to say hi. Sam and Larry I like but I think part of the problem is the way mods are forced to do their job and the elite that run this place and the change that was made. None of it is conducive to attracting new members nor keeping older guys around. It's become boring and out of focus..It has become a forum for inane speak. A few good guys but mostly it's the same old same old.

·
American Legion Rider
18,919 Posts
Better look again TR. There really are no rules since the format change and the moderators have extremely limited controls. VERY LIMITED. And as a result the forum is slowly changing to an international forum. It truly is not the forum I signed up for at all. Completely gone are little rewards we once had that you didn’t even know about until it happened. I don’t know the very beginning of this forum but I get the feeling it was a privately owned forum with people like Dodsfall making it grow. Their efforts completely lost to everyone until they were gone. I was here when Eye_m_no was brought on board and I think I know why he was. But both guys were and are still motorcycle mechanics. Perfect for keeping a motorcycle forum interesting. The new owners don’t seem to understand that simple fact. The current mods were brought in as volunteers to help stop the daily influx of spam everyone complained about and to enforce those old rules. That was accomplished and behind the scenes they developed software to filter that spam and now you have the last piece of the format change and near lack of need for mods except to be cops. Not a fun job at all. But they continue doing the best they can and we do have some very good mechanics trying to pick up where Dods and Eye were and doing a very good job. Have you thanked them? Not that I have seen. But maybe I missed it too. No, the forum is made of and by the members. The mods today anyway have limited input except for their own posts to member posts. Is anyone volunteering to help bring this forum back to what you think it was? Well it really is simple, just start posting and helping members with their questions. You as members are the forum. You will see Administrator by my name but the reality since the format change is I’m head cheerleader for the the moderators. I try as best I can to interface with the real administrators which I can truly say is extremely frustrating. My hat is off to the other moderators as they have a very thankless job as is very obvious. But if there are volunteers out there that think they can help, just send me a PM or in this new format a discussion or conversation or whatever it is now. I wait to see my reader full so thanks in advance. 🙄🙄🙄👍👍👍

·
Nightfly
3,748 Posts
I guess if I'm not breaking any rules, those that you say are no longer in effect, I'm good to go. Dods and Eye were here when I joined in 2012 and it was easy to see they were the go to people because of their overall knowledge of the forum and motorcycles in general. I never thought of them as moderators, they were just good guys. They seemed to let members be who they were without stepping on them like an elephant.

These days I do not know who are the mods are. I know Porky a.k.a. Sam, Hogcowboy a.k.a. Larry and MM as moderators. And I think Mike somebody, not sure. I understand the need for spam police but I remember back sometime ago when you told me I would be shocked at the number of new members that were kicked off after just their first couple of posts. Supposedly because they were rude and disregarded said rules. Gone before anyone took notice of them. I said it was too strict to be such hard enforcers.

Statements like that were not helpful for me staying on as mod, which actually worked out for the best. And as you've just said, with the last piece of the format change this site is nearing the no need for mods except to be cops. Not a fun gig.

I have seen a couple good mechanics come out of the wood work on occasion but that is far and few between. And as for people creating threads, I have tried. I posted some threads I've used elsewhere that would get hundreds of posts in response. Here only a few. Same type of motorcycle question but just not the same interest.

You're right Larry, being a mod is a thankless job, and being a mod and expecting a thank you from other posters should not be why you do it. No pay and taking a bunch of crap from thankless people is not my idea of a good gig. I'm curious how many newbie's are kicked out before they actually become active members. This is still a dying forum but will hang on for awhile.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think I joined just before a lot of OG's left and, while traffic has certainly slowed, it seems to have steadied rather than continuing to decline. I am still adjusting to the new format (and still missing the old one!) and recently found a few threads that I would have added to but missed them when they started. I can go to some sport bike oriented sites and see that no one has posted anything, on the whole site, for days. That doesn't seem to be the case here, so I don't think this place on life support quite yet...

One thing I have noticed is that many newcomers mention in their Intro post that this forum seems like a friendly place to join. I think that is a good thing to have noticed and a good reason to join. Just wish there were more of 'em!

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
I need hard stats before I think the forum is dying. It seems active to me.
The Triumph group has switched to the same format as this.

UK

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just an observation from a newbie. I joined about a month ago and have 50 or so posts. After browsing a bit I joined and it seemed like a good place. But it wasn't long before I run out of enthusiasm as I noticed what appeared to be a lot of baiting and/or seeding type threads. Those type of threads by a new member that start a conversation and then never post again. I've seen it on other forums, but there seems to be a higher percentage on this forum than others I visit. Being new, it's just an observation that has lead me to start avoiding this forum.

After a few days of catching up with the newer threads, I went to reading some of the older stuff that had my interest, and then waited for something new to come up that interested me. I also started a few threads and received some interest but those were mostly threads based on me and not the general community so I didn't expect an huge response. I did receive what I thought was a lot of interest in my introduction thread and they were all warm welcomes (they were most appreciated). After a few weeks however my interest in most of the new threads started to wean to the point my interest is dwindling and I felt they were pretty much a waste of time.

I haven't made up my mind as yet, but at this point I feel like this forum doesn't have that much to offer.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I haven't made up my mind as yet, but at this point I feel like this forum doesn't have that much to offer.
Sorry to hear that but I suppose it is understandable. It can be tough to keep a thread interesting if it is only the same few folks posting...

Would be interesting to see the stats re: how many of us post every day, a couple times a week, once a month, etc. It seems like there are about 10-15 of us that are consistent contributors with the majority just dropping in every once in a while...

·
American Legion Rider
18,919 Posts
Would be interesting to see the stats re: how many of us post every day, a couple times a week, once a month, etc. It seems like there are about 10-15 of us that are consistent contributors with the majority just dropping in every once in a while...
With vBulletin, the old format, I could have easily printed such report. But those tools are strictly for the real administrators. That’s assuming they have similar tools. I mean you would have to be short sighted to switch formats and shoot yourself in the foot with lack of equal tools. I have looked around as best I can and those tools just aren’t available for the moderators. I have been told they are always working on something but I do find it strange they switched and still need to do so much work. When I was in IT you changed or upgraded and maintained current abilities or you didn’t change. I would like to be a fly on the wall just to get some insight to how these new owners think. Or don’t. 😜😜😜🙄🙄🙄

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree Doc. As a user, if the forum has my interest, the stats are of little concern or something I would invest time into. However, with threads like this one and the comments contributed here, I would find it interesting and invest in the time just for my own satisfaction to understand. For sure, if the health of this forum is in jeopardy, exposing the stats would add additional nails into the coffin, so to speak, and therefore I would expect the forum owners/administrators to prevent the results from being published.

·
Registered
240 Posts
With vBulletin, the old format, I could have easily printed such report. But those tools are strictly for the real administrators. That’s assuming they have similar tools. I mean you would have to be short sighted to switch formats and shoot yourself in the foot with lack of equal tools. I have looked around as best I can and those tools just aren’t available for the moderators. I have been told they are always working on something but I do find it strange they switched and still need to do so much work. When I was in IT you changed or upgraded and maintained current abilities or you didn’t change. I would like to be a fly on the wall just to get some insight to how these new owners think. Or don’t. 😜😜😜🙄🙄🙄
As a user only, it's a bit confusing as how the current state, and the transition of what I have read is new software effects the operations. When I hoover over your thumbnail it reports that you are a staff member and administrator, but if I'm not mistaken you have stated that you are a moderator. This confuses me. But again, as a new member, I'm only catches bits and pieces of how this forum got to this point. It does appear to me, that as a moderator, you are not happy about the tools and responsibility you have now as compared to the old software and possibly old owners.

·
American Legion Rider
18,919 Posts
Y’all need to remember something very important. These forums cost money. How much have you contributed to keep it a free site? I do believe this one of the factors that forced a big change. The site is now set to have those “nice things” you miss but for contributing members. That foot just hasn’t come down yet. But it is out. You can take my word on it. I see how it works on another site I frequent and there is some advantages to operating that way. I see the Biker Bar being one of the forums that will surely be the first “privilege or private” forum and certainly others will follow. So you may see what you might perceive as a dying forum real at some point but these new privileged forums maybe rocking and rolling. I see it as possible.

·
American Legion Rider
18,919 Posts
As a user only, it's a bit confusing as how the current state, and the transition of what I have read is new software effects the operations. When I hoover over your thumbnail it reports that you are a staff member and administrator, but if I'm not mistaken you have stated that you are a moderator. This confuses me. But again, as a new member, I'm only catches bits and pieces of how this forum got to this point. It does appear to me, that as a moderator, you are not happy about the tools and responsibility you have now as compared to the old software and possibly old owners.
Not happy in that I can no longer provide the level of support I was doing. I can no longer add a new forum like I did just before this change by adding the trikes and sidecar or the electric motorcycle and scooter forum. Or print out usage. That I could do but no longer can. The administrators badge is a leftover badge. So I get ask questions and to do something I can’t. It is just being frustrated more than anything else and I have been told these tools will be made available again once the true administrators get the codes working the way they want. They don’t want to open pandora’s box if you would. It is growing pains that we all are facing. Does that clarify it? And by the way, I was not and never have been an administrator.I had a few extra privileges that allowed those extra functions. And those functions did fall under the administrators umbrella. But I was never a administrator.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Not happy in that I can no longer provide the level of support I was doing. I can no longer add a new forum like I did just before this change by adding the trikes and sidecar or the electric motorcycle and scooter forum. Or print out usage. That I could do but no longer can. The administrators badge is a leftover badge. So I get ask questions and to do something I can’t. It is just being frustrated more than anything else and I have been told these tools will be made available again once the true administrators get the codes working the way they want. They don’t want to open pandora’s box if you would. It is growing pains that we all are facing. Does that clarify it? And by the way, I was not and never have been an administrator.I had a few extra privileges that allowed those extra functions. And those functions did fall under the administrators umbrella. But I was never a administrator.
Thank You for the feedback and clarification.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts