Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I simply cannot watch "The Darwin Channel" --- Youtube MC Crash compilations.

If I was FORCED to, I'd have to immediately afterwards log into Craigslist and sell my bike.

Whether it's young men riding STUPID, drivers on cellphones, red-light runners,
or just some just INCREDIBLY BAD luck..

I can't watch. I actually feel PHYSICAL PAIN in my guts watching these guys slam into cars, posts, scrape along the asphalt.

Getting run over.

What's amazing is the amount of footage available. Lot of sport bike riders wearing GoPro's and filming their own demise. Lot of dashcams. there are dozens, hundreds of MC crash compilations on Youtube.

I can watch...about 12 seconds before I have to click, fast forward, close the window, whatever.

Hayzeus Christ in a Chicken basket, ya simply go NO protection. Debris in the road or a car's bumper right in front of you, it's YOUR BODY that's gonna take the hit, not a crumple zone, bumper cover, anything made of STEEL!

I have to erase these scenes from my mind before I throw my leg over.

I'm surprised Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, HD...don't pay Youtube to take this @#$%@#$ down.

For me cellphones are going to one day put an end to my riding. Drivers yakking away drifting into MY lane. Usually I can brake, swerve, whatever, but sometimes...you're boxed in, and here s/he comes.

Maybe my mother was right and I really should hang up the keys.

I DON'T EVEN know who this kid is, but THIS shows up in my Facebook page this morning...

Is God tryin' to tell me something?

(I said God, not Porky, OldDeadEye, EyeMNoAngel... :biggrin:)

But then there's that sunny day, that empty road with the trees canopy'd over it, not a car in sight, those delicious corners and that heavenly-sounding technology that is a Yamaha or Kawasaki valve train.... a 14,000 rpm redline that brings tears to the Angels' eyes. (Since they forgot to put on their goggles)

Vroom!

I think I'm gonna hang a 60" widescreen in the garage and just play continuous loops of GoPro footage of riding down those country two lanes in Mississippi.... the Natchez Trace.... Hwy's 4 & 5.... The Pig Trail and all my other favorite Arkansas rural routes....

Denial. It's NOT JUST a river in Egypt!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I refuse to watch it. I don't care if it's for safety, it makes me sick to think that people are getting their thrills out of watching other, real people, die.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I stick to r/roadcams and avoid the videos tagged with NSFL

Watching crash videos, as long as there isn't serious injury, can help give you precognition when you're out there and you see the ingredients of an accident starting to come together.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

So I guess this is an old man speaking, or maybe just someone who has seen, heard and read of so many people getting hurt and suffering around the world--and even occasionally in my world, that I pain inside when I think of it.

I'm at a point these days that I don't even want to harm insects if I can avoid it. Sure, I'll swat a mosquito or fly buzzing at me, but I find it increasingly difficult to be a part, even visually, of pain to people or animals any more. So the newest 'technology' of YouTube is not for me (unless it's for instruction).

--

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Watching crash videos, as long as there isn't serious injury, can help give you precognition when you're out there and you see the ingredients of an accident starting to come together.
That's why I have tried to FORCE myself to watch them, so when I see similar traffic patterns, cars, placements, speeds that MIGHT result in something similar ..

But these collections sure could use editing.

Perhaps assemble a panel of advanced riders, and if a video offers NO USEFUL LESSONS, it simply gets cut. E.g. car utterly runs a red light and wipes out a biker.

If a video can be debriefed, observations made about MISTAKES the rider made or OPPORTUNITIES s/he had to PERHAPS avoid the collision, that AUDIO gets added to the track.

"Well you see here if this bike had stayed BESIDE the truck through this intersection the truck would have taken the hit..."

Or more often:

"Well you can see excess speed had a LOT to do with this bike being unable to avoid..."

Watching every crash film for EVERY possible "lesson learned" isn't going to
up our/my chances all that much.

But JUST ONE "lesson learned" might save "just one" biker.

Like....hesitate when the light turns green.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/02/motorcyclist-lands-on-his-feet_n_6600700.html

(this biker does a midair flip and lands on his feet...GoPro catches it all)

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I would say hesitating when the light turns green is going to piss people off behind you, and not contribute to your safety. Roll forward slowly and look both ways. That will keep you just as safe if not more so than hesitating.

There is a recent video of a rider telling a BMW driver to get of his phone, then taking a few extra seconds to pull away from the light. The bimmer ran him over.

I totally agree with you on the need for useful crash compilations to be edited and shown to new riders and drivers. They don't need to be scared by the old "red asphalt" videos, but instead shown what happens as a result of common driver errors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts