Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever notice how the crap in the middle of the road (on secondary roads anyway) that we try and avoid, is more dense and voluminous on the up-hill sides of hills?

I guess that's because cages have to work harder on the up-hills, eh?

-Soupy

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I haven't really noticed more than the usual debris on the secondary roads. Other than it seems to be road kill season around here. Deer, skunks, raccoons, etc. However with summer finally showing it's angry head with several hot and humid days in the 90s, blown tire debris and retreads are everywhere on the highways.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I thought you meant road apples. If so, I would guess that the horse is just "exerting" more pulling uphill.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
BD - I hope I would notice and avoid those :)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I run over em all the time. They are slick but smell like money....i grew up in the country critter so I may be biased.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
LOL - I grew up in the suburbs full of kids. I don't run over them either.

Actually I grew up overseas, but that is different story.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
They are just turds...they aren't hurtin anything.....smell em...I'm tellin you they smell good...by the way we all make em

·
Registered
809 Posts
I haven't noticed more crap in the road on secondary roads on hills - no.

Where I notice the crap in the middle of the road is where secondary roads run thru fairly decent size towns that aren't directly served by interstates. I was coming thru one such town today, and I had to shift the the left or right of center each time I approached an intersection with a stop light or stop sign to avoid all the oil/grease/gunk in the center of each lane.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On our secondary roads here, in the middle of the lane, there is a noticeable (light colored pavement) brown line on many of the roads, obviously made by cages, leaving leaking oil and so forth.

We who ride, purposely stay to the left or right of that strip of oil residue because of it's presence and what it can potentially mean to our traction, and to the possibility of it getting on our tires, and spraying up to our bikes, and to us.

That said; I just happened to notice yesterday, that it seems that on the uphill side of hills on these roads, the stains & residue left behind, are darker, more pronounced; thicker than on the level or downhill portions of the same roads.

It spoke to (I thought) the cages (and even bikes) working harder on the uphill portion of those roads, and also to the importance of paying more attention to avoiding this residue, on the uphill, since more traction and stability would be important while we travel up hills, and in general.

It was sort of meant to be a "heads up" to remind inexperienced new riders, about another typical danger out there.

-Soupy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts