Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mufflers or "cans" are getting pricey. I remember when you could get a complete 4 into 1 exhaust system that dropped 30+ pounds & added power for under $1K. Long ago. Today I saw an optional "can" that cost $860 & actually reduced power according to the dyno. Who would buy that? Probably sound nice but who pays $860 for less power? It's a free country, I'm just trying to understand.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
When I was looking into my exhaust options, I didn't give thought to hp loss or gain and just assumed that making it a bit free flowing would be good for the bike. What I did focus on was dropping about 15 lbs from the stock can. Only after I had my short pipe on for a while did I find out that it was likely costing me about 5 hp.

I kicked myself a bit for not doing thorough research before buying BUT... I think the aftermarket sounds much better than the stock, I did get a little weight loss, and I really can't tell the difference in the hp loss because I'm just not that good yet!

All that being said, my shorty was only a little over $200. If I was going with something expensive, I'd probably have done a bit more research and would only have bought if there were some hp to be gained.

Also, loud = faster, right?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have never swapped out the stock pipes. Don't trust my own understanding of how properly to balance or tune an engine, for one thing. Also, don't need problems with customs officials sniffing around an aftermarket pipe in the event the bike gets shipped overseas/home from overseas. The expense is a third big factor. Hard to justify spending a thousand dollars to replace an exhaust that works just fine.

In the final analysis, though, the decision driver is that I just don't care. Bike sounds good, runs great, and meets emissions. So all is good!

YMMV.

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
One of the guys in my club bought a new Indian Scout two years ago. Over this past winter he "upgraded" the stock exhaust.
Two weeks ago on a club ride, while stopped at a traffic light, I told him what I thought of riding behind that damned thing. I think several other members said something too. And I KNOW that his girlfriend on the back seat was complaining about her headache.
For the rest of the ride, he rode at the rear of the pack.
He's now talking about going back to the stock exhaust.

We can only hope....

P.S. Why do guys put on these loud exhausts??
One reason really...."Look at me! Look at MEE!!!"

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
Just to add a comment I agree the price of Exhaust has gone through the roof in the last few years .. The last decent buy I got was on my Bassani 2:1 for my Scout .. Got Decent Power and Good Sound for around $800 .. This was a Full Exhaust set from the Headers Back with all Gaskets, Heat Shields, Brackets, and All Hardware .. Just Slip Ons Now will Run $600 without Hardware or Brackets if Needed .. Was considering going full Exhaust on my 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse and would have been at least $1200 for Exhaust Alone so opted for a Package Deal with Fuel Moto which included High Flow A/C, Jackpot Slip Ons, and PVCX Tuner for a bit less than $1,000 ..

·
Registered
432 Posts
I suspect the “sound” that resonates with the rider has to do with mileage/age/expectations/whatever… when I was a kid we used to run my buddy's Allstate tourer (not the scrambler – whatever) with megaphones, not realizing we were probably robbing that 2-cycle of half its power – painfully loud though. Use to run my Norton P11 in the 1970s with megaphones – used to run my clandestine quarter mile in the dark of night and then hit the kill button just to hear it echo through woods (yep, really) and enjoy knowing I’d awakened every barnyard dog for miles around. Was great (???), if you did it right it would backfire and shoot a two foot flame on the sudden shutdown -- whoomp. Had a set of V&H slip-ons on my Nomad that were mellow and fairly quiet, but must have had some low-vibe resonance, because I could idle down the street trying to be quiet come home at night and set off 2/3rds of the car alarms – 2005-ish… I think this bike (ZG1000) will just stay stock…

-- Larry

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I like hearing a motorcycle engine with a nice healthy tone, but sometimes it just seems like volume is more important than the sound. Everyone knows when that happens and sometimes the attention you attract with all that racket, is not the attention anyone craves.

(License, registration and insurance, sir)

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
What gets me is.....
They make it so loud that it pisses off everyone for a half a mile....
and then they put in ear plugs so they don't have to listen to it themselves.
The guy I mentioned from my club was no different.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mufflers or "cans" are getting pricey. I remember when you could get a complete 4 into 1 exhaust system that dropped 30+ pounds & added power for under $1K. Long ago. Today I saw an optional "can" that cost $860 & actually reduced power according to the dyno. Who would buy that? Probably sound nice but who pays $860 for less power? It's a free country, I'm just trying to understand.
Why is everything getting "pricey"?
Why is:
>The price of a garage sized house, in a gang infested area, in Los Angeles selling for $500,000?
>Why is the storage area underneath the stairs renting out as a "room" in San Francisco for a $1000 a month?
>Why, locally, are run down shacks selling for $160,000 in a bad part of town where the median income is ~$20k/year and ~50% of the residents are on Medicaid?
>Why do these same run down shacks, mostly, all have new'er cars parked out front...expensive cars and trucks!?

Thomas Jefferson was right:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered."

FYI, Bankers and politicians are robbing us blind through inflation. The real-estate insanity? In part, in a nutshell...illegal money, corruption/drug/theft money, is pouring out of China and into physical assets across the globe. In the USA, wealthy Chinese criminals hire US law firms to set up LLC's and secure land/buildings for a new "business venture". They pay outrageous prices because they are desperate to get the money out of China and into something physical in the USA. A business owner friend of mine sold his business last year (tiny building/land) for $250,000...that is double what he paid for it just 4 years earlier...he couldn't refuse the offer. The buyer was Chinese, the mailing address is a law firm, the building today looks abandoned with overgrowth and broken windows.

Google this subject, same thing going on in Canada...insane amounts paid for real-estate by Chinese buyers and the property goes unoccupied.

It's trickle down economics in a bad way...enjoy the shower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"P.S. Why do guys put on these loud exhausts??
One reason really...."Look at me! Look at MEE!!!""

I can understand "loud" if it sounds good...but man do some bikes ever sound like ****. I was at Harley event and a good 1/3 of the bikes sounded like SHEET!

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
I like a nice Deep Rumble that is not overly loud .. Have had Goldwing Riders ride just 2 seconds behind is a staggered formation and never said my pipes were too loud, even got a few compliments from some ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts