Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I was making plans, and preparing the bike, for a nice long trip this spring or summer. Now, I'm wondering what to expect. I wasn't planning on traveling to any city to see the sights, I'm more into places national and state parks.

I'm not overly concerned about catching the corona virus, but I'm wondering if all the states will be open and welcoming travelers/tourists. Anyone else having second thoughts about their summer travel plans?

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
I'm seeing a good amount of out of state plates around here. Corona refugees. Have even seen a couple of California cars, which is rare during non-corona times.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,816 Posts
I usually take my long vacation in October, we have that on hold at the moment

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I can, I like to take a good trip in the spring, early summer, then try to get a second one in before or at the beginning of fall. Doesn't always work out like I'd like, but it's a goal.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just saw on the news that Arkansas campgrounds are going to open again! :):):)

But not to tent campers at this time. :(:(:(

I do very little camping here in Arkansas. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I haven't modified my riding so far and see no reason to other than meeting at restaurants, so have gone to carrying a picnic. I probably will stay within Arizona for the summer season but I most likely would have anyways, and we really don't have a riding season, it's pretty much year round.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Tent cities will be popping up soon. When banks start foreclosing on homes, and renters start getting evicted.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
We have no plans until later in the year. Our Yacht Club cancelled all events, but will revisit when the Govt. relaxes things. I am busy working on an affordable house for a senior, and had made no plans. Shirley had booked an Arctic trip that has been cancelled. She will just have to spend time with me. Oh darn. We were standing in the display showers at the number 20 store on Friday. UK

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Saw on the news more states are opening up. Utah isn't one of them (yet) and that's where I want to go.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
^ According to @ketchboy the only part of Utah that locked down was Salt Lake City. I assume that isn't the part of the state you wanted to go to anyway.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to go to the southern part of the state to those national parks. I like the natural attractions as well as historical attractions I might find in the area.

Big cities just don't do it for me. Too many STOP signs or lights, too much traffic, and too many people that just want to take advantage of you, if they can.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I just checked, RG. Utah's NP's will start to open up soon for day use only. If you want to stay in a Motel, Moab is your best bet. It's very close to Arches, Canyonlands, and Dead horse Point (SP). I don't know the prices, as I generally find some BLM land close by the NP I want to explore.

Check 'Utah National Parks' for updates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many moons ago, sidelined from a trip, now hard to know what's 3 days out, much less 3weeks or months. From O.C., SoCal, may opt for Hwy 395 N., way E CA, staying solo on freebie BLM lands. Would like to access SW Ore, return S on Hwy 1, a "bucket" item at age 72.5!.. Tis freaky out there.. :)(

·
7,480 Posts
I have traveled from Southern CA, Long Beach and the Hemet area, from Mojave to the end of HWY 395 many times! What a wonderful Highway! At the end of that hwy, I make my way over through Redding, CA and west on hwy 299 to the coast and then camp in the Redwood area of upper CA and SW Oregon!

Retired guy, just a kind hint: Don't do the national parks in July or August! I have been there when it's 110 to 120 degrees every day. I would go in early June.

Sam :D

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read all of Utah's national parks will be open by the end of this month. However some things might be limited or unavailable. Oh well, it's an adventure.

I've ordered a taller sissy bar for my Super Glide, the little, short backrest on there now, well I just don't have a lot of confidence in being able to strap my tent, sleeping bag and other goodies on to it, then being able to lean back against those things. So I ordered a 16" bar from J & P Cycle.

With my saddle bags and boot on the luggage rack, I think I've got plenty of carrying capacity now. Going to wire up a power port and mount it on the handle bar so I can keep the cell phone and MP3 player charged.

Was thinking I had everything about ready, then these other little things come to mind. :rolleyes:

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,172 Posts
This year was supposed to be the year I went really big into offroading non-offroad vehicles. Two weekend offroading events a month, helping organize one, and doing an ambitious cross country road trip with my team in our offroad vehicles. I had a surprise in my back pocket. There are lots of ratty Honda GLs and CBs on the classifieds just asking to be made into an enduro.

But none of that appears to be happening now.

Instead, I'm working down my motorcycle bucket list. I'm buying the bikes I've always wanted to own and hitting up roads I've always wanted to travel. If I'm not going to be able to work, I'm at least going to enjoy myself.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I got to wait for my next SS check to hit the bank before I leave. Got my power ports all wired up, then discovered my Auto Zone in-line fuse holder wouldn't hold my regular automotive fuses. Granddaughter got home from her dads today and she wasn't going to let me ride to Auto Zone without her. She can be persistent.

Got the right fuses, plugged one in and everything works fine. Now I'll have 12 volts of power while on the road to keep everything charged up! :cool:

Next thing is getting the old road atlas out and planning a route. Seems like I got to get to the far side of Kansas or Oklahoma before I really feel like my trips begun.

Good plan Miss Mercedes! We're fortunate to live in a country rich in natural beauty. I don't know anyone that's seen it all and is believable. :):):)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts