Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To summarize. The three deaths below in Lincoln Nebraska were caused by left turning drivers violating motorcyclist right of way. The 1981 Hurt report had cited this as the most common cause of the most common type of motorcycle accident, collision with another vehicle. It seems that little has changed.

Bottom line: We talk a lot about driving defensively, but if you don't have a plan for surviving potential left turning drivers at an intersection or a vehicle planning to turn left off the roadway into your path other than hoping for the best, you're running a terrible risk of becoming a statistic. This MUST be an active safety action by the cyclist, it CANNOT be left to chance.

My own solution has always been to

Slow down- Reduce speed to the point where you can survive an impact.
Try to make eye contact with the driver- then proceed with extreme caution at a speed that gives you time to respond or reduces the consequences of a crash.
Cover the Brakes- and have a plan

Curious to hear how others manage this high-risk situation.

Lincoln man charged with motor vehicle homicide for crash that killed motorcyclist | Crime and Courts | journalstar.com

Lincoln teen pleads no contest in crash that killed motorcycle rider | Crime and Courts | journalstar.com

Lincoln teen charged with motor vehicle homicide for crash with motorcyclist near UNL campus | Crime and Courts | journalstar.com

Reference: The Hurt Report, 1981
Article source: The Hurt Study Summary - webBikeWorld

1. Approximately three-fourths of these motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, which was most usually a passenger automobile

2. In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

3. Deliberate hostile action by a motorist against a motorcycle rider is a rare accident cause. The most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

· Registered
5,721 Posts
I will do a little swerving back and forth to make sure I've got their attention and sometimes flash the headlight a few times. On 4 lane roads, at an intersection, if I can I will ride beside another 4 wheeler through the intersection, but you got to watch and make sure the 4 wheeler you are riding next to knows you're there.

Actually had an elderly lady actually in a Buick turn left in front of me once, at a 4 lane intersection. Fortunately she stopped and all I got was a lesson. It was also the first time I locked up the front wheel on a Goldwing and saved it.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I remember the same thing as the most likely cause in the '70s.

I for one zero in on driver face to see his reaction, you can tell often by body language if they see you. I will slow down super slow to whack their minds if I don't get recognition. Sometimes I even stop which makes the car in back of you wanting left as well mad.

· Registered
8 Posts
I for one zero in on driver face to see his reaction, you can tell often by body language if they see you. I will slow down super slow to whack their minds if I don't get recognition. Sometimes I even stop which makes the car in back of you wanting left as well mad.
Best advice that. You can often see if they've seen you, but often you're in trouble either way, if they don't see you, or if you slow so much you're in trouble with folks behind you :)

· Registered
2022 Suzuki Dr 650
1,789 Posts
I will do a little swerving back and forth to make sure I've got their attention and sometimes flash the headlight a few times. On 4 lane roads, at an intersection, if I can I will ride beside another 4 wheeler through the intersection, but you got to watch and make sure the 4 wheeler you are riding next to knows you're there.

Actually had an elderly lady actually in a Buick turn left in front of me once, at a 4 lane intersection. Fortunately she stopped and all I got was a lesson. It was also the first time I locked up the front wheel on a Goldwing and saved it.
I used to never use the swerve or smidsy notice me cage technique. For giggles i tried it, and the cages really started to notice me. It works. Now im smidsy ing all over the place. Also, never trust anything with more then 3 wheels.

· Registered
229 Posts
EVERY SINGLE TIME someone waits for me to pass before they turn left in front of me, I give them a friendly wave. No matter what direction their car is in relative to me, if they've waited for me (or given me my ENTITLED right-of-way), I give a friendly wave.

I think giving car drivers an acknowledgment of their curtesy (and ability to follow the rules of the road) is a good thing.

· Registered
14 Posts
What I’ve been doing for along time on the daily commute has been said above.
Downshift and Slow
Cover brakes
Slight headlight movement
Run cover from other cars when available.

I don’t try to make eye contact because
the commute is still dark and it creates tunnel vision for me only focusing on someones head.
I keep scanning with the primary focus on the biggest threat.

· Biker
1,756 Posts
To summarize. The three deaths below in Lincoln Nebraska were caused by left turning drivers violating motorcyclist right of way. The 1981 Hurt report had cited this as the most common cause of the most common type of motorcycle accident, collision with another vehicle. It seems that little has changed.

Bottom line: We talk a lot about driving defensively, but if you don't have a plan for surviving potential left turning drivers at an intersection or a vehicle planning to turn left off the roadway into your path other than hoping for the best, you're running a terrible risk of becoming a statistic. This MUST be an active safety action by the cyclist, it CANNOT be left to chance.

My own solution has always been to

Slow down- Reduce speed to the point where you can survive an impact.
Try to make eye contact with the driver- then proceed with extreme caution at a speed that gives you time to respond or reduces the consequences of a crash.

Curious to hear how others manage this high-risk situation.

Lincoln man charged with motor vehicle homicide for crash that killed motorcyclist | Crime and Courts | journalstar.com

Lincoln teen pleads no contest in crash that killed motorcycle rider | Crime and Courts | journalstar.com

Lincoln teen charged with motor vehicle homicide for crash with motorcyclist near UNL campus | Crime and Courts | journalstar.com

Reference: The Hurt Report, 1981
Article source: The Hurt Study Summary - webBikeWorld

1. Approximately three-fourths of these motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, which was most usually a passenger automobile

2. In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

3. Deliberate hostile action by a motorist against a motorcycle rider is a rare accident cause. The most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.
Well that Lincoln paper was not gonna let me read the articles for nothing and I'm not gonna give a
card# to some1 I don't know or quite frankly trust. but yes the best thing to have is a good strategy
for intersections I have seen motorcycles go thru intersections at posted speed and I'm like wtf was
THAT ? Well if ya gotta rush thru an intersection, is it the same as rushing to the morgue?

· Registered
1,753 Posts
I think the biggest killer of motorcyclists is more likely lack of helmets. Five died at Daytona bike week this year, down from eight last year. I would bet serious money that the majority, if not every single one of those fatalities was not wearing a real helmet or not wearing any helmet at all. I think if the cruiser crowd took a different line on helmets the headline would be "5 motorcyclists critically injured" instead of "5 motorcyclists killed."

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I’ve been doing for along time on the daily commute has been said above.
Downshift and Slow
Cover brakes
Slight headlight movement
Run cover from other cars when available.

I don’t try to make eye contact because
the commute is still dark and it creates tunnel vision for me only focusing on someones head.
I keep scanning with the primary focus on the biggest threat.
Lot of great replies and strategies, hadn't thought to mention covering the brakes or about headlight movement and the adjacent vehicle strategy, but will plan to incorporate them.

Sorry if there is a paywall and I've included some relevant blurbs from the articles below, but all three stories are young bikers, 19, 19 and 23 y/o. Generally the drivers that hit them are young, drunk or both so I think if there is one message we are giving to new riders it would be to watch out for left turning drivers at all times and intersections in general!

About 10 years ago, twice in a months time, only heavy braking saved me from getting t-boned in a honda accord at the intersection right next to my apartment. I had a green light but the vehicles running the red would have done a lot of damage- a 40pmh ford explorer on an accord drivers side door would have been devastating. For a motorcycle, add the complete lack of structural protection PLUS the smaller size and tendency of drivers to "Not see you" in situations where they do tend to notice cars.

-------------------------------------------

A Lincoln man was in court this week in connection to a fatal July 30 crash that killed a 23-year-old motorcyclist.
Prosecutors charged Patrick Tvrdy on Thursday with motor vehicle homicide-DUI, a felony with a maximum punishment of 20 years in prison.

At 9:30 p.m. July 30, Brady Sweetser was riding his motorcycle on Nebraska 2 when Tvrdy turned left onto Pioneers Boulevard in front of him in a Dodge Charger and the two collided, according to the police report.

Kylie Hill had been set for trial, but instead entered the plea in the case involving the death of 19-year-old Simon Blair.

Lancaster County Court Judge Tim Phillips could give Hill up to a year in jail at her sentencing in March.

Deputy Lancaster County Attorney Eric Pruess said that early March 3 Hill was headed south on 27th Street when she attempted to turn left onto Tierra Drive and collided with Blair, who was headed north and had the right-of-way.

The Lancaster County Attorney's Office has charged a 19-year-old Lincoln man with misdemeanor motor vehicle homicide for a fatal crash in January.

Edward Watters is accused of failing to yield, driving carelessly or negligently the morning of Jan. 28, resulting in the death of Austin Kinser, 18, of Lincoln.
Police said Kinser was riding his motorcycle south on Antelope Valley Parkway at about 9:30 a.m. when Watters turned his Chevy Suburban left onto Salt Creek Roadway in front of Kinser, colliding with him.

· Biker
1,756 Posts
My Mom worked at a hospital for yrs and saw the ghastly results of those in a motorcycle
accident with no helmet, when they still lived. People whose brains were utterly destroyed
and they had to be in a special ward for the rest of their life. they could not get dressed
or or use the toilet, wash up and many could not walk. . .Think it might be cool to ride with
no helmet? Hospital gowns are not made of leather.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Mom worked at a hospital for yrs and saw the ghastly results of those in a motorcycle
accident with no helmet, when they still lived. People whose brains were utterly destroyed
and they had to be in a special ward for the rest of their life. they could not get dressed
or or use the toilet, wash up and many could not walk. . .Think it might be cool to ride with
no helmet? Hospital gowns are not made of leather.
I couldn't agree more and have lived experiences that HAMMERED THIS HOME. I have had two serious and one modest Motorcycle crashes and in each case the Helmet- quality, purchased new Shoei-RF Line (200/700/800?)- was basically trashed, ie, multiple impacts and scrapes well into fiberglass shell, but I never even lost consciousness or felt woozy. In the modest one I face planted and I'll never forget looking down at the chin guard and seeing white fiberglass instead of black paint and imagining what my jawline and teeth would look like if they had been the ones to eat the pavement.

Unfortunately, the main point of this thread has struck several more times here in Lincoln, probably 3-4 dead brothers due to left turning drivers who apparently can't see us.

LPD: Motoryclist killed in crash at 35th & Cornhusker (msn.com)

I don't feel like we're doing enough to get the word out, too many are being lost and so young it just breaks my heart. I think we need to talk to everyone about invisibility training and use examples like this. Would that girl still have turned into his path? Probably. Would he have anticipated this and either slowed or braked to where he was reasonable sure that he could survive and even turn tragedy into something he'd have forgotten in a few weeks.

Riding like you're invisible and expecting drivers to act accordingly is NOT OPTIONAL if you want to survive this passionate sport/hobby/lifestyle of ours.

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
1,141 Posts
Yup, I ride with assumptions that I'm invisible and that they're all out to get me! Never ever think they will give you right-of-way even if it's legally yours!

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/little-known-facts-about-motorcycle-accidents-31124

1. Approximately ¾ of motorcycle accidents involve collisions with another vehicle, most often a passenger automobile.

6. In multiple vehicle accidents, 2/3 of the accidents are caused by the other vehicle violating the motorcycle's right-of-way.

8. Deliberate hostile action by a motorist against a motorcycle rider is a rare accident cause. The most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

10. Intersections are the most likely place for the motorcycle accident, with the other vehicle violating the motorcycle's right-of-way, and often violating other traffic controls (i.e., changing lanes, running the light or stop sign, etc.).

16. The average speed of a motorcycle prior to an accident is 29.8 mph, 21.5 mph at the time of impact, and in only 1/1000 of cases is speed approximately 86 mph at the time of impact.
I recall seeing 1996 NHTSA stat showing 75% of all traffic fatalities occur at intersections. Which I assume involves pedestrians as well. And that 4% of fatalities occur on highways where fastest speeds occur. Cops need to be watching intersections more...

· Registered
229 Posts
When I'm following a line of cars through an intersection and someone is waiting to turn left, I'm extra cautious. I try to get as close to the car in front of me so the left turning car has less of a chance of turning in front of me. I also ride way to the left as I approach so they can see me. If you're on the right side of the road, you're hidden by the car in front of you and the left turning car probably doesn't know you're there. If I'm in the front of a line of cars with someone turning left in front of me, I slow way down and don't care that much if I inconvenience those behind me.

I also swerve left and right like a jerk so they notice me.

It's my life and I'll do what I want! (Eric Burdon and the Animals)

· Registered
99 Posts
To miss a spinning car on the track, they say to head straight at it & it won't be there when you get there.
Sooooo....:unsure:

I've been wondering if I should aim toward a left-turner's right (his right) headlight just in case.
If I aim toward the white line, I would have to swerve around the entire vehicle (broadside) or take an off road adventure (at an intersection where there are likely to be other things to hit)
If I aim toward his right, I only have to split vehicles (maybe) on the double yellow.

I also wear the most obnoxiously loud high-vis vest you have ever seen.;)
(Not sure it was mentioned in the preceding posts)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts