Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I have been looking into getting my mc license and a mc. I have been looking into ceveral ones, but I think yamaha and Kawasaki are the brands for me. I want a badass bike with I big nice roar but I still want it to remain clean and sharp (so it keeps that little girly touch).
I have looked at the kawasaki ninja 300 (white), kawasaki ninja 250, yamaha yzf 125, yamaha r6. But I have no idea if theese are good beginner bikes. I have never been on a bike in my whole life, but I really think I would a sports bike. I want it to be able to be faster than most cars, but not too big. I'm 5'3".

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you are looking for a big roar, you don't want either of these bikes. They make relatively "tame" exhaust notes.

At 5 foot 3 inches, you should pay a lot of attention to seat height.

All of this information is readily available via the internet.

Good luck.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I'd recommend something fairly light, that you can comfortably ride, with a twin or single engine.

More important than style is utility, personally. The motorcycle should be the right tool for the job at hand. Many make the mistake of buying for looks alone, only to find out they hate riding the thing because it doesn't fit what they actually want to use it for.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
If you live in the USA I would recommend you take the BRC. It will help you learn what kind of bike you truly want, help you know if you really want to ride and it will teach you some of the basics that you will need.

After you take the course go and sit on lots of bikes. You will find one or two that just feel comfy to you. Make sure you can flat foot the one you get. Good Luck

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
New or used?

Do you want to actually learn how to ride or die young and leave a beautiful (if broken and bloody...) corpse?

A Honda Rebel 250, used, learn how to ride, and next year you can get the bike of your dreams... and you'll know exactly what you want. Buy it for $1500, sell it for $1500

An R6 and you'll be in the hospital or morgue before the year is up.

A Ninja 300 is fuel injected, more reliable and powerful than a carbureted Ninja 250. Both fun bikes but a HANDFUL for a new rider, esp the 300.

Take the MSF motorcycle course before you buy ANYTHING. You may not like dodging drivers attempting to kill you on a regular basis, riding in the rain, getting towed when you break down, paying for repairs and everything else that goes with owning and riding a MC.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I am going to agree with MONI. First take the BRC. You may find, from that experience, that a bike is just not for you. While you are out looking at used bikes in your local dealer take note of how many 4+ years old bikes on the floor don't even have one year of riding miles on them. I estimate it is well over 50% of the used bikes were owned by people who did not enjoy riding when they actually got to do it. I ride 12k+ miles per year but even if I just rode on weekends I would have more miles than I see at a dealer on most older bikes.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As already stated, take the safety course first. You will gains some good insights into what riding is all about. Then after taking the course, find a bike that fits you well. Most young people seem to like the sport bikes, but they get real uncomfortable if riding any distance.
I wouldn't worry about being faster than cars until you have gained a good deal of experience.
There is a lot of information on this forum for new riders, and a lot of people here have many years of experience.

I've often said buying a bike is a little like buy shoes, what fits one person well, doesn't work for another. Find what works for you.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you want to ride a sport bike, here is what l would do...

1) Take the BRC. It will teach you SOOOOOO much in a weekend, so many valuable tools. You will get to ride a bike for a full day or two. If you have a choice of bike, choose the closest thing to a sport bike they have...most likely a standard, like a Nighthawk 250

2) Of the bikes you suggested, l think the best choice for a starter is a 250 Ninja. They look like a sportbike but have a bit more upright seating position, which allows you to operate in a position that is more common to everyday life. They have some pep to them, but not so much power that you would be overwhelmed. They are pretty forgiving.

3) Ride a lot. Whenever you can, really. If it is feasible, ride to work, to school, wherever you go, take your bike with you. Practice practice practice. Get in with experienced riders and ask then questions, learn from your mistakes, and always be thinking about how you can improve your ability and become a better, safer rider today than you were yesterday. After a year or two you should be in a position to buy that bike of your dreams and ride it :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
First bike I had was a 1980 honda twinstar 200cc. Picked it up for $700. First time on it...ran into a ditch:(. Got it back to the house and fixed my damages on the bike and had some back pain. A day or two later I was riding it again.

Second bike and the one I ride now, Vstrom 650 :biggrin: I Love my Vstrom and I am soooooo glad that i didn't run it into a ditch like my honda. If I had...I prob would have chose not to ride at all.

So, what I recommend for a first bike is not your dream bike. Just get something to learn on that you are ''ok'' with. Something small and easy to handle (chances are you wont have it for long) I had my honda for 2 months and then got my vstrom. When you are ready to upgrade you can look beyond the 250cc and get into the 500cc-750cc range. That's what I did and it worked out well for me.

There are 3 types of bikers.
Those who have crashed.
Those who will crash.
Those who will crash again.
(Some biker told me that when I first started riding)

If your going to crash a bike, don't do it to your dream bike

·
Registered
207 Posts
Like everyone telling here, don't rush things on getting a bike on looks, look for most comfortable one to learn. Ninja 250 is really one of the best out there for beginners, there are few mods to give it a better look and sound nice.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
I want it to be able to be faster than most cars, but not too big. I'm 5'3".
Thanks.
I'm a beginner myself, but as an older fella that has been driving cars, boats, trucks and skidoos for almost 25 years, there's zero need to be concerned about "being faster than most cars" seeing as there are speed limits, stop lights and stop signs everywhere. Unless you go to a racetrack, no one is hitting top speeds on their vehicles unless you have a deathwish and zero respect for other motorists). And as a beginner on a bike, you're definitely going to have zero interest in going much more than 60mph on the highway. In terms of off the mark, a simple 650cc will be faster than your average car anyhow, but really, does it matter how fast you get from one stop sign to the other, especially when you're starting out?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've got to agree with DanR...speed is the last thing you should learn on a bike. Learn how to control it first and what the bikes limitations and your limitations are first.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Looks like she hasn't been on the forum since the day she posted that, 10-19-14. I wonder if she got a bike.

·
American Legion Rider
21,231 Posts
Makes ya wonder sometimes doesn't.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Well, a lot of people talk about doing a lot of things. I have a huge list of things l want to do and, still to this day, have never done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, and thanks for all the replies. I have looked into the different mc and are still unsure but I am almost positive I will get my mc license next year :) I have talked to a lot of others about this and have looked at all of your advices (I have actually been on, don't know why it didnt register..) I no longer care if the bike is faster than most cars or so on :p I would be happy with a kawasaki 250, more than good enough for me ;) Beside I have grown so the seating problem has gotten under control. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts