Motorcycle Forum banner

Have you ever used a small plastic spray bottle on fine mist to keep you cool when it is very hot?

• I does get very hot and of course I have used this trick.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just chatting to a new biker friend and summed up ideas. I wanted just to put a link but am not allowed, so here it is:

The little things that make all the difference:
The point here is not to start a conversation about the number of spare parts to carry. If you are experienced, you will know. If you are not, there is no point carrying them.

Food for thought:
The bike

• The obvious:
    • Oil
    • Tyre pressure
    • Nothing gets in the way of the handlebar on full lock with engine on.
  • Adventure bike: Less is more
    • Bash plate
    • Handlebar guards
    • Crash bars
    • Handle bars in correct position
  • Tourer
    • Right suspension
    • Kit inside luggage
    • Nothing out of the luggage
    • If it looks too heavy, it is.
The basic extra kit
  • In the heat:
    • Pschitt bottle (see below)
    • Wet wipes
    • Talcum powder
    • Camel back
  • In the cold:
    • All about layers
    • Electric goodies are good, but do not rely on them.
  • When things break down:
    • Gaffer tape
    • Heavy duty plastic zip ties
    • 1 multi tool
    • WD 40
    • 1 spare long brake cable (for anything).
  • Rucksack:
    • Avoid if at all possible.
    • Keep it light with no sharp objects if you have too.
  • Spare parts (I know I said I would not):
    • Puncture repair kit with air capsules
    • Tyre change kit if you need it to use the repair kit.
    • I always use slime in my tyres and I have never had a puncture
The Pschitt bottle: just a hand spray bottle.

You probably have one at home.

A full bottle set on fine spray will keep you cool all day (even in the Sahara desert in August) when the water inside is very hot! Use this to cool you down and keep your cool drinking water separately. If you have never used this cheap trick, prepare to be seriously impressed! Less water to carry, less weight and an excellent tool if someone overheats: strip’em and spray ’em! If they over eat, get them a Goldwing.
It all started on listing fundamentals rather than nice to have!

Also: the R Nine T scrambler can go off road. Google BMW R NineT Scrambler off road (I am new here and have not found how to upload a video).

Went to the Sahara since and Eau Claire, Wi since, (same model but other bike!).

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Daniel Htrep Interesting first post you have made. I'm not following the purpose of your survey as to the value of your information!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya,

I am trying to engage with adventure riders. Many are driven by the latest gadget rather than the real adventure (a ride where the outcome is uncertain).

When it is very hot, cooling down is key and the talk is all about high tech fans etc... when a simple water spray is better. So what type of adventure bikers are out there?

• They ride and it is not hot: not really those I am after
  • They ride and it is very hot but use no spray: Do they have a better system?
  • They use the bottle: Ok, hold on, I am coming! The place where you need these is the place where I want to go.
Different types of bikers entirely. One not better than the other, just different. I spent a lot of time in the Sahara but it is harder nowadays. I am discovering the US...

I want to engage with the practical brigade and see what plans we can come up with for my next ride down your part of the world...

Sorry for the long answer... If for whatever reason you think it is inappropriate, put it down to cultural misunderstanding. Delete and no harm done.

Thanks for the welcome. I cannot understand how I never engaged with you before! Maybe it's glasses I need, not a plastic bottle!

Kind regards,

Daniel

·
Registered
664 Posts
OK, I think I have it now and understand better your purpose. I'm not by any means a moderator, but if a moderator feels your thread would be better served in a different area, I suppose they may change it.

The only reference to Adventure Bikes/Adventure Riding is just above a reference to 'Tourer', so I didn't really pick out of your OP that you want to focus on Adventure Touring. That may be my failure to read into your post.

I don't ride an Adventure bike or do any adventure type touring, so I will bail out of the discussion. However I would bet there are many here interested in your information gathering and wish you the best.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
The heat doesn't bother me, even 110+F temps. Especially when riding. I like to carry Life saver candy with me when I ride, that's my "to go" drink.
My vote is cast

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The heat doesn't bother me, even 110+F temps. Especially when riding. I like to carry Life saver candy with me when I ride, that's my "to go" drink.
My vote is cast
Life Saver candy? I have found them. I have never tried them so thanks.
Do you go off road at these temperatures or are you sensibly staying on the black stuff?

D.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
I'm pretty much always on pavement. Every once and a while I get some off roading in.

·
American Legion Rider
21,789 Posts
Never used a spray bottle. When it get hot enough for that I just pour a bottle of water all over me and let that evaporate. In 100º heat that lasts about 45 minutes to an hour. So it's suffer until next stop and another bottle.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Sometimes if I'm working outside I can get too hot. Then I have been known to take a water hose and completely soak my hair. A spray bottle won't get it in those instances, need to go for the gusto.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gusto I like! Try a spray though and you will be surprised. But Gusto wins! How do I get the water hose on the bike? Actually, I have worked it out no worries!
D

·
Visionary
3,811 Posts
Never tried a spray bottle but a couple of times I've been so hot hat I took my jacket off, soaked my Tshirt in water at a rest stop water fountain or sink, then put my mesh jacket back on over it. The wind blowing through the jacket kept me cool for about an hour until the water all evaporated, then it was time to soak again.
My wife and I learned that trick one hot day riding back to Pennsylvania from Quebec one August in about 105F weather, we were getting dizzy from heat somewhere in upstate New York and decided to give this a try, and it saved the day.

·
On The Road Again!
3,393 Posts
I seem to remember some company selling a mister for motorcycles.
Probably a long time ago. As I recall, there was a nozzle that mounted
on the handlebars with a hose and a pump. It kept a fine mist of water
spraying on you as you rode.

·
American Legion Rider
21,789 Posts
I tried a bike that had that at a show many years ago. Didn’t work very well with me and my glasses. Was okay for a short period of time until my glasses were too foggy to see through. Would be great if you didn’t need glasses as in prescription type or sunglasses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts