Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding Reinvented again........ Can Am adds another Spyder to thier lineup for 2015. It's bold, It's muscular and I love it !!!!!

Can Am is trying to tap into a whole new market with this bad azz reverse trike. This will appeal to many cruiser riding position guys with a looks of a street fighter. Less tupperware and tubular frame makes this thing look mean......The specs are not released yet, so we all have to wait and only speculate about the powerplant.

Introducing the Spyder F3.................

More photos here-----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AhU2qYDnKhM

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
There is a lot of things that are pretty cool with the design. The headlight/mirror/fairing/instrument area looks like it was just plopped on there without much thought, though.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I do like the more aggressive less "pedestrian" look, and the ergonomics do appeal to the cruiser-rider in me.

.. but it looks like it should have forward mounted machine guns attached to it, or maybe laser cannons? :D

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Looks kind of like a very angry mole-rat, to me. All it lacks are whiskers and a tail.:biggrin:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I do like the more aggressive less "pedestrian" look, and the ergonomics do appeal to the cruiser-rider in me.

.. but it looks like it should have forward mounted machine guns attached to it, or maybe laser cannons? :D
I was actually thinking something similar. As soon as I saw it i was thinking of those GI Joe vehicles I would get as a kid. They would always come in packing that showed the vehicle in action guns a blazing.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
The riding stance kills it for me. Looks like they tried to make it ride like a Harley, but this is what came to my mind first

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's very ugly. And it's not a bike. It doesn't lane split. Who would want to ride/drive such a thing?

If 7 years of increasing sales with an expanding lineup means anything to you,................I'm guessing alot of people would. :71baldboy::71baldboy:

I'm not saying you should like it, but lets be real dude !!!!!!! Your explaination of a real bike is lane splitting.......:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Lane splitting has nothing to do with a bike. A bike has 2 wheels. It is really that simple to me. A trike or a reverse trike like yours may be fun but it is simply not a motorcycle. I am a simple person and simple definitions work for me.

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Increasing sales just means you get more people who THINK theyre riding a motorcycle. I personally think its hideous. If I want to sit in traffic baking in the hot sun id rather drive my A/C truck with stereo.

Lets be real here....this isnt a motorcycle

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
It kind of resembles an old Catalina flying boat.;)
I've been trying to get my wife back into riding. She said she just wasn't interested in riding anymore but she might ride if she had a new Spyder, I said they were pricey and we didn't have room for one in the garage. She said she didn't care, she would leave her car outside. She picked one out online and we went to the dealer to check it out. She sat on it and fell in love. But the love affair was short when she saw the price was over $25,000. She decided she just wasn't interested in riding anymore.;)

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Of course it is not a motorcycle, but neither are any of the trikes, nor bikes with sidecars, etc. But each person needs to decide what it is about riding that makes them get on a motorcycle. If what you want is exposure to the elements without the surrounding mass of a car/convertible, then any of these three wheeled alternatives would work. If what you want is the sense of freedom that only a two wheeled vehicle can give you, leaning into corners, slicing between two other vehicles, etc., then you better stick to two wheels.

Even with two wheels you have a lot of choices, including "automatic" transmission scooters. I had such a scooter (a Honda Silverwing) after having both knees replaced. It truly did everything a motorcycle can do, and in some cases did it better and simpler. But it lacked something indefinable besides the sound that made it a motorcycle, so as soon as I was physically up to the task of swinging a leg over a seat again, I bought a "real" motorcycle.

I welcome the three-wheelers to the community of riders. Whether they get three wheels because they are afraid or intimidated by the skills needed to ride a two wheeler, or because age or an injury keeps them from handling a two wheeler safely, they still want something similar to what I want every time I get on my bike. So welcome aboard.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
V8..................I'm not sure how often you get out of the city of smog where you reside, but isn't lane splitting illegal in most states and makes your point moot to people that live elsewhere who enjoy the smell of cow manure riding on country roads with minimal traffic ?????

You city slickers crack me up........ :coffeescreen:

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Lol you made me laugh with the city of smog comment.... I actually get out as often as I can, can't stand LA to be honest, but when riding open back roads and smelling the manure I do enjoy the freedom of two wheels. Just don't see how three wheels counts as a motorcycle.

Someone made a comment above about people who are physically unable to ride two wheels to get on three, that I agree with. The people who are "scared" to try out a motorcycle shouldn't be on a trike and call themselves motorcyclists, we all take the risk of riding and face the fear, why should someone who's scared to face their fear be considered a motorcyclist because they completely bypass what all motorcyclists have in common?

My .02

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
My girlfriend made me promise that when I get where I can't handle two wheels we quit riding and buy a convertible. Hopefully that's years and years away, but I think I'll stick with her. Now.....IF it had forwards mounted machine guns! That's a different story!

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Now.....IF it had forwards mounted machine guns!
Sounds like you want this!

Or maybe this...

And when you and the Missus get to the age when you go shopping for the convertable, maybe this could be considered...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Some folks grow up riding dirt bikes. Some folks grow up riding snowmobiles. The Spyders remind me of snowmobiles set up for dryer roads. I've never ridden one, but I don't rule them out. They actually look pretty cool, to me.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Lol you made me laugh with the city of smog comment.... I actually get out as often as I can, can't stand LA to be honest, but when riding open back roads and smelling the manure I do enjoy the freedom of two wheels. Just don't see how three wheels counts as a motorcycle.

Someone made a comment above about people who are physically unable to ride two wheels to get on three, that I agree with. The people who are "scared" to try out a motorcycle shouldn't be on a trike and call themselves motorcyclists, we all take the risk of riding and face the fear, why should someone who's scared to face their fear be considered a motorcyclist because they completely bypass what all motorcyclists have in common?

My .02

Niether senerio relates to me though................

I rode two wheels for many years (dirt bikes, cruisers and sport bikes)
I'm young and healthy enough to hold up and handle any two wheeler (40)

I also could have financed nearly any two wheeler I wanted under 25k, but I really enjoy riding the Spyder. To be completely honest, I have had more fun on my trike than any two wheeler I've owned. It's a personal choice for me. :icon_cool:

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Increasing sales just means you get more people who THINK theyre riding a motorcycle. I personally think its hideous. If I want to sit in traffic baking in the hot sun id rather drive my A/C truck with stereo.

Lets be real here....this isnt a motorcycle
It has a motor. And round (cycle) wheels. motor-cycle.

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Niether senerio relates to me though................

I rode two wheels for many years (dirt bikes, cruisers and sport bikes)
I'm young and healthy enough to hold up and handle any two wheeler (40)

I also could have financed nearly any two wheeler I wanted under 25k, but I really enjoy riding the Spyder. To be completely honest, I have had more fun on my trike than any two wheeler I've owned. It's a personal choice for me. :icon_cool:
In the end what matters is what you like and enjoy, its just friendly jabbing lol. I still dont consider them motorcycles though..... :p

It has a motor. And round (cycle) wheels. motor-cycle.
So by that logic we ALL drive motorcycles....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts