1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Yeah...The W800 looks cool and all, but is it really a top 30 greatest of all time bike? Eh...

I'd swap the W800 for the Indian FTR 1200. I'd agree with reviewers and my motorcycling friends that it is one of the most wild bikes to come out of America this decade, if not longer. It may not be the best at anything, but I've yet to see someone actually hate the thing.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Interesting list.
I used to own a Norton Commando, and have never said anything nice about it.
I own a Honda trail 90. My SV1000S Suzuki is quite similar to the GXSR 750, which does deserve to be on the list.
The XS1100 Yamaha should probably be on the list.
I used to ride a Honda Elsinore at the MX races.

UK

·
Registered
432 Posts
I used to own a Norton Commando, and have never said anything nice about it...
I'm gunna go the other way -- Had a P11 as well as several Commandos (including a fastback), and I could shoot myself for ever letting any of them go... Only thing I'd replace is the Lucas electronics (the inventor of darkness) and did on two of them... rode mine from Washington state to Florida -- from the Carolinas to Texas and even in the snow up in Montana and the Dakotas (had to bring them inside to get `em to start when the temps were down around zero F).

But to each his own :smile:

-- Larry

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I'm gunna go the other way -- Had a P11 as well as several Commandos (including a fastback), and I could shoot myself for ever letting any of them go... Only thing I'd replace is the Lucas electronics (the inventor of darkness) and did on two of them... rode mine from Washington state to Florida -- from the Carolinas to Texas and even in the snow up in Montana and the Dakotas (had to bring them inside to get `em to start when the temps were down around zero F).

-- Larry
I need me a Commando one day. I don't care if they're powered by the Prince of Darkness, I just love how they look! :D

Reactions: 122178

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts

-- Larry
I had a 68 Dunstall after the 71 Commando. I used the front forks, some brake parts, the clutch and casing, off a newer Commando. All those parts were good. Also used a braced Suzuki swing arm and rear wheel, so I could change sprockets.
My 71 had a large list of mechanical and electrical problems. Ignition works exploded, top end seized, head light dimmed when the brakes were used, lousy brakes, lousy top speed and handling, and much more. Not much horsepower.

Miss M. They fetch stupid amounts of $$$ around here. $10 to 15 thousand. Usually some listed at Robinsclassicmotorcycles.com
Local events are also listed in our area. This is where I found my Triumph. Previous owner has several bikes.

For a comparison, I recently bought an 81 XS1100 Midnight Special for $200.00. Should have it running with new paint and parts, for about $1,000.00

UK

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a 68 Dunstall after the 71 Commando. I used the front forks, some brake parts, the clutch and casing, off a newer Commando. All those parts were good. Also used a braced Suzuki swing arm and rear wheel, so I could change sprockets...
Sounds like you rode your Commandos much harder than I ever did (I ran 21-tooth transmission sprocket on them and mostly just highway bikes), but I thrashed my P11 badly, mostly only had a seat and a Bates headlight -- great, thundering bike no fenders/mufflers for fire-roading (Georgia Carolinas) . Had a taillight too, tack-wleded to the seat pad... miss that bike... Never even saw a Dunstall except in pictures until the 80s...

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
The 68 Dunstall ran the same horsepower as the John Player Nortons. I ran it at the track. It got tortured.
They generally ran the isolastic system. But to handle well they made a decent frame, and lapped the Island at 107.
I used a Reynolds Featherbed frame, which handled great.
Stock they were about 45 to 48 hp. The Weslake motors run about 65. We ran about 85. The crank snaps at that hp, but can last 1 to 3 years, depending on use.
As an aside, the 650 Triumph streamliner than ran 214 at Bonneville, was making about 80 hp. We can assume Burt Munro was in the same hp range.
Horsepower is important, reducing drag can be more importanter.

UK

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Creating a list like this is nuts! Take 1,000 motorcycle gurus to write their own list, and you'd most likely get 1,000 different lists, none of them the same.

My favorite on this particular list is the Norton Commando. Many British quirks, but what beautiful engineering!

The Honda Elsinore did very well, but again, I'd choose the Maico Coffin Tank ANY DAY. Pure art, pure brute, pure craftsmanship:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts