Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once my mind set on it, I put my gear away, and will be "winterizing" the bike.

Up on the rack (in the garage) she'll go............

I'm ready for it. The temps have been increasingly unfavorable, no matter HOW much cold weather gear I have.

March to November riding this year. I put 3,000 miles on the bike. That may seem like a lot to some, and very little to others, but it represents a good amount of riding for "me" for New England conditions.

It's been a safe year (knock on wood) and I'm thankful for that!!

Now it's off to Maine next week, for a week of hunting. Hopefully there will be Venison for my freezer in a short time!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yep, mine's getting put away next weekend. Probably won't be riding much this week, going to be in the low 50's all week. I'd probably have put it away this weekend if it wasn't for the fact I got the Fleetwood Mac concert tonight. I so wanted to ride there, but it's Hartford, and no thug is going to get close to my bike, plus it's gonna rain......I'll be too hung over to do it tommorow......Gonna be a good day today!!

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Its supposed to hit 61 or so on Monday, so I am holding off on ending the riding season. But bundling up in multiple layers of clothing takes away the fun of riding for me. When I have to focus on the stream of really cold air slipping under the edge of my helmet and on to my neck, then I know it is time to winterize. I need to get my bike to the dealer before it is really too cold, and if it takes them awhile to find out why my new bike has a tiny but real oil leak I just might end up with free storage at the dealership for the winter!

Once my riding is done for the year, I find I spend even more time online on motorcycle related websites like this one. Plus I start to think about my annual trek to the International Motorcycle Show, held each year in February here in the Chicago area. I really like the chance to sit on and think about new bikes.

Lately what I have been thinking about a lot has been the Can-Am Spyder. Maybe its just that I am getting older, but the touring edition of this three wheeler is really intriguing to me. With an MRSP of $25,000 it would take a lot to get me to go from my current 2 wheels to a new 3 wheeler. The Spyder is not a motorcycle, but will it be as much or even more fun to ride than my Thunderbird? Gives me something to really think about over the long winter.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Woke up to 4 inches of snow in WNC this morning, but I'm not giving up yet! I've seen this many times before, it could easily be in the 70's on Thanksgiving. There has only been one year when I couldn't get out at least once a month.
I avoid the twisties in the winter due to all the sand they drop in the corners, but I can always hit the big roads between Johnson City TN and Greenville SC.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That's messed up!! We usually get the snow before you do. Sorry, I'm on vacation this week, weird weather usually goes hand in hand with my vacations....I brought on hurricane Irene, the freak Halloween snow storm three years ago, monster monsoons, and ice storms. My dad always gets his generator out and ready when I go on vacation....

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
Vito, the Spyder is a completely different animal. The big problem with them is it takes about 500 miles before you learn to stop trying to make it a bike and ride it like it needs to be ridden. So you get people the love it or hate based on 50 or less miles. It's a real head trip. If you go that route, stay away from the bargain prices some may have on 2013 models. Some day they may remedy the heat problems they have but I won't bet on it. I think they are waiting for someone to die first. The 12 models are the best they have until the 14's came out. How they managed a first year complete change without major problems is beyond me but they did. Will that continue for 15 models? Don't know. But your best bet is a 12 or 14 right now. Most people and BRP resolved any problems with earlier models but nothing was nearly as bad as those 13's. You couldn't give me one of them. So there's my warning but then again it is just my opinion.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
I think I'll Stabil the gas and put her out in the storage building this weekend. But I'm not sure I'm ready to pull the battery out yet. That seems so final. :frown:

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I have never put a bike up for winter, they just get a rest between rides. I ride in temps down to 10 as long as the roads are dry. I put over 20,000 miles a year on the bike and the truck gets an oil change once a year whether it gets the 3,000 miles or not.

I wouldn't mind a hunting trip though, since it is a good substitute for riding.

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
It was 38º when I headed out this morning. Up to 51º now that I'm back. Just a sign of more to come hear. There is now parking for the winter. I just plug in and go. Should have done that this morning but dang, that thermometer had to be wrong. Right? Nope.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Last night on the ride home I did put the chaps on, it was 29*, but it's only a 25 minute ride. More worried about the deer than the cold, a Jeep hit one in front of me yesterday, he just wasn't paying attention, I saw it almost a mile away.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Last night on the ride home I did put the chaps on, it was 29*, but it's only a 25 minute ride. More worried about the deer than the cold, a Jeep hit one in front of me yesterday, he just wasn't paying attention, I saw it almost a mile away.
Howdy!
Just curious about the chaps....hope you dont mind if I ask a couple questions about them? ( yep, I am considering buying some)
Are your chaps Lined ? or Insulated?:confused:
Please give me an idea of how much difference they make in Cold Weather?:confused:
( I know that may be difficult to Quantify, but maybe>):smiley_drinkcoffee:

Thanks!!
Ed:biggrin:

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
My chaps are lined, not insulated. They stop any air movement getting through to my legs. After about 10 to 15 miles in weather like last night, the only place I could feel any cold was my knees, but they are out there in the direct wind. If it gets any colder, I will put the one piece suit on though, it is good down to 10 degrees. I do use the outer shields on my gloves, they break the wind too and my fingers were just fine when I got home last night. I also breathe through a piece of surgical tubing that goes into my jacket, that keeps my glasses from fogging up inside the helmet. The pinlock keeps the shield from fogging, but not icing over. Tire traction is the biggest enemy other than keeping warm and not getting in a rush.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What in the world do we do to keep ourselves occupied when we can't ride????
Well............if my wife were not minus a uterus, I'd be thinking "babies" (lol).
On second thought.......I'm too old to raise little ones now!!

We can still.............well...........nevermind.

I put the bike up on the lift about a half hour ago, and filled the gas tank with "fresh" gas, and put in 45 ML of Stabil (recommended amount for a full tank of about 4 gallons, or just slightly under).

I will change the oil and filter in the Spring (and then give it a tune up).

Gotta spend some time sorting thru my hunting gear this afternoon.

And, oh yeah, I plugged in the Battery Tender Jr. (as always) and still have to put some steel wool in the exhaust tubes.

-Soupy

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Great thread here! 32* when we left this morning and 48* now. We took the car which had frost all over it and so did the road. It's supposed to warm up next week and we hope to get a ride in.

Grandson got a 4 pointer this morning during the youth hunt. He's hunted 4 years and brought down 3 deer. The year he didn't get one was cold, rainy and windy. Very few were taken by the kids that year.

Chaps, I love them. They really block the wind and hold my body heat in. If they aren't enough to keep me warm I put on my rain pants which have elastic around the waist and ankles and hold out even more cold, especially on the sides of my bottom that the chaps don't cover. If my legs are still cold at that point I need to go home and crank up the wood heat.

I think I've covered everything but spiders and I just don't know too much about them. LOL

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Mentally" I was ready to put up the bike anyway. I was not enjoying the cold. I can handle it, but it gets "old" after a while.

Another factor is surviving the season. I am always extremely grateful that I made it thru another riding season without being slammed into or dumping it. Putting it up for the Winter is kinda a mile marker in that respect, increasing my odds for the rest of the year.

I wonder if (I'll have to check it somewhat regularly to truly find out) my Hydraulic Jack Lift will seep out pressure over time? It could I suppose. My main goal is to keep the tires off the ground (to avoid flat spots and all that), so I don't have it WAY up............just an inch or so. I suppose I could vary the height, to avoid leaky spots in the seals in any one place.

Still didn't put the steel wool in the exhaust, but if I think of it today while I'm sorting out my hunting gear, I'll put some.

-Soupy

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I've heard about riders putting their bikes up on lifts or otherwise trying to avoid the tires sitting on a concrete floor for the winter to avoid flat spots, but in 30+ years of riding I've never had a problem. Most of those years have been here in the north where the bike sits essentially untouched for several months, and my bikes have always just sat on the garage floor. I've never had a problem with any tire issues when I start out in the spring, other than sometimes needing to add a few pounds of pressure for the first ride (some bikes in some years didn't even need any air added after sitting all winter).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts