Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had new tires put on and was called late in the day (Friday) that the bike was ready. It was too late to pick up Friday evening; severe thunderstorms scheduled for Saturday, and the dealership is closed Sunday and Monday. Damn! But there did seem to be a break in the weather Saturday morning, and decided "this is my window!" and went to go pick up. While at the dealership the heavy rains started again, and now was facing the 15 mile trip back in a downpour. Uncomfortable ride back, but no issues and feeling pretty good about having navigated the challenging ride. Unfortunately the cell phone in my jacket pocket didn't fare as well. The screen was f%$cked up, and it spent two days sitting in a bag of rice and silicon packets drying out. It has recovered quite a bit and is usable, but still have faded spots on the display. A resealable plastic bag is now stored in my jacket for any future rides in the rain. I really hate having to learn lessons the hard way.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
At least you made it home safe and sound, cell phones can be replaced.

Reactions: 4bergen

·
Biker
1,634 Posts
Hello Skysearch0005,

Yup I know what ya mean 3yrs ago tomorrow bought a bran spankin new Wide glide, took a bit of time with paperwork,
going over everything then BaBOOOM Thunder, raining like it never rained before, waited awhile an hour or so till it stopped,
half way home it started again going N on 16 street 4 inches of rain and litening strikes the primary stringers, sparks all
over, damn I wondered if the wire hit could melt and part from the rest of the wire, would I be Bundy-ized before I got
home and bike fryed to a crisp, well um here taday so that's good, horn got ruined though, sounded like a constipated duck,
brought in the next day and told Jim I need a new horn, they are like What happened? told them 5 miles an hour in 4 inches
of rain gave me a 20 to 1 chance of having no horn.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I had to ride home in a severe downpour on the Blast last week. Some water got some place it shouldn't because when I turned off the high beams the high beam indicator stayed partly lit. Looks like the bike doesn't like weather heavier than a light rain. Thankfully I usually equip myself with water resistant phones or that would have gotten ruined. :)

Reactions: DE Nichols

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
I have been cursed with having it rain probably 50% of the time when I pickup my new motorcycle:surprise: It has become a joke around the household:plain:

Here is one I will never forget:

In 2003 I bought a brand new Honda VTX1800R--Retro in Candy metallic orange, fully outfitted with the touring stuff and I had arranged to pick it up on the following Saturday morning:smile_big:

I got about 10 miles into my 40 mile trip home and all HELL:devil: broke loose! A pitch black 'wall cloud' was blowing in from the west @ 1,000 miles an hour or so and then wham!!!!!! Torrential rain, hail, lightning and surround sound 1 million watt stereo to scare the poop out of me! I rode in that for maybe 10 more miles and pulled into a convenience store/ service station that was just filled with as many people that had the sense to pull off of the road to avoid the TORNADO that was coming our way! My new and immaculate bike just sat outside and looked very unhappy:sad: The Tornado went about 5 miles south of us and soon the weather returned to normal! Of course I was soaked to death and possibly responsible for the whole thing because I bought a new bike on that unforgettable day:surprise:

Aside from the TORNADO part this has happened so many times to me it's scary.

Sam:smile_big:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had to ride home in a severe downpour on the Blast last week. Some water got some place it shouldn't because when I turned off the high beams the high beam indicator stayed partly lit. Looks like the bike doesn't like weather heavier than a light rain. Thankfully I usually equip myself with water resistant phones or that would have gotten ruined. :)
I could respond to every one of you, but then you'd all have to read it, lol.

Yeah, I buy covers for my phones and I have a extremely water resistant back pack. My notebook (paper version) got a bit damp when I hit a wall of rain, but all my electronics, laptop included, survived.

I REALLY needed to de-stress from studying for a final so off I went to college for an hour ride. The rain came down so hard that I thought I was swimming in it. It sure looked the same as going for a deep dive in a swimming pool except that somehow I could breathe. I actually had to stop and check if I could breathe because my eyes were telling me that I was back learning how to swim as a 5 year old and I didn't trust yet that I'd make it back to air, even though I had every other time I took a dive.

I checked the weather. How could I be this wrong? From then on, I check the weather daily for where I live, where I'm going an hour away and halfway in between. THAT weather report would have saved me. The one in the middle.

I pulled over under an underpass, and waited it out, terrified of the weather and what would become of my final exam. Thank goodness on an important day like this, I had an extra pair of water resistant pants (no time to put it on, just got hit, but I least I could change). I had a rain coat.

And, I really enjoyed the waterfall next to me under the water pass. I had just enough space to only get some of that watery blast after it bounced!

Cell phone was damp, but okay. It went out of my pants and into the water resistant back pack.

Going home was 10 times worse a few days earlier, so thank goodness for a huge mercy that day. What didn't survive? My chain. I'm pretty sure ALL the oil washed out and even though I of course re-lubed it afterwards, that just wasn't enough, lol.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice that someone is e.z. on phones.
Sounds like we're all as brutal on them. Maybe those who work in grease for a living and ride are even meaner to phones...and yet somehow mine always looks cleaner. :surprise: Maybe it's the sweat in my pants always polishing the phone up! :devil: LOL I shoot YouTube with the same phone and the lense is always clean. :smile:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am reading this post on a 3 day old phone. On Sunday I had mine in my bathing suit pocket and didn't realize it till I had been swimming around the river for a half Hour or so.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am reading this post on a 3 day old phone. On Sunday I had mine in my bathing suit pocket and didn't realize it till I had been swimming around the river for a half Hour or so.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Phew. Yeah. Reminds me of putting my phone in a water proof coat. The pockets were made of the same material. Water leaked into the pocket as I was in the rain A LOT (not riding, in a forest). I didn't discover it until I leaned against something and my stomach got wet. I checked. And my turned off cell phone had been laying in water for days.

Water proof coat, with pockets made out of the same stuff? Watch out! Put a drain hole in them or something. It was an old Army Gortex.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,507 Posts
I got a baggy I put over my phone if it gets downpouring and I find a place to park for a bit, since even my waterproof former phone would start dialing with the rain drops hitting the screen.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Phew. Yeah. Reminds me of putting my phone in a water proof coat. The pockets were made of the same material. Water leaked into the pocket as I was in the rain A LOT (not riding, in a forest). I didn't discover it until I leaned against something and my stomach got wet. I checked. And my turned off cell phone had been laying in water for days.

Water proof coat, with pockets made out of the same stuff? Watch out! Put a drain hole in them or something. It was an old Army Gortex.
Oh, and I DIDN'T forget to put it in a baggy, but total immersion? The sandwich bag didn't have a chance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.