Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if cops, some day, will use the cameras on new cars to be
able to write tickets for texting while driving? Would wager a bet that
this person is still texting.

Maybe??????

·
On The Road Again!
3,393 Posts
You really have to wonder about some people.
In my area we have a lot of these airport limousines on the roads that run to the major airports.
Most of them are (or were) big Lincolns or Mercurys.
One Sunday morning a while back, 6 am, on the side of route 80, there is one of these things
upside down on the side of the road. No traffic out there at that time. No one else around.
Just this idiot upside down on the side of the road. What the heck?
The moron must have been playing with the cell phone.

·
American Legion Rider
21,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not a automobile engineer but I think they are making cars either too narrow or too tall or maybe both. If you ever watched one of these texters they really jerk the steering wheel to correct for drifting. I think sometimes when they do this and due to maybe the road surface, they correct so hard and maybe hit their brakes, that the cars due to that narrow wheelbase and that extra weight high up, they simply roll over. No other car need be involved. It's geometry. At least that's my thinking on the subject. If they would drive it would never happen of course. But I really think the quick steering, narrow wheelbase and high center of gravity play into these rollovers. Oh, and excess speed. A 70mph zone is easily traveled at 80+mph now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not a automobile engineer but I think they are making cars either too narrow or too tall or maybe both. If you ever watched one of these texters they really jerk the steering wheel to correct for drifting. I think sometimes when they do this and due to maybe the road surface, they correct so hard and maybe hit their brakes, that the cars due to that narrow wheelbase and that extra weight high up, they simply roll over. No other car need be involved. It's geometry. At least that's my thinking on the subject. If they would drive it would never happen of course. But I really think the quick steering, narrow wheelbase and high center of gravity play into these rollovers. Oh, and excess speed. A 70mph zone is easily traveled at 80+mph now.
Not advocating for texting and driving but all admit that’s a nice thing about my impala. Because In 1966 power steering wasn’t standard equipment and the thing is so big I’m fairly confident I can fit half the Milky Way Inside it.

·
7,770 Posts
That SUV must be built like a TANK:) It looks structurally intact!

On a 'Pledge' night when I was in College (Go Sigma Chi) a Fraternity Brother rolled his VW Beetle, going down a dirt road in the Mountains of Corona, Calif, with 5 people inside. I saw the 'Bug' the next day and the top was barely scratched with no other damage. The guys got out, righted the car and drove away:)

I drive a new F250 Superduty and sit high enough to get 'Hypoxia' barely able to get in the thing but it does afford me a great view of other drivers and what they are up too. Texting, Face timing and chatting is rampant and out of control.

I've done it and so have you, even though we know it's not safe.

Half of the 'Big Rig,' 18 wheelers I see swerving from lane to lane, is because Bubba or Bubbarette is talking on their cell phone which is and has been Verbotten for a long time. I also see Leo's and Ambulance drivers smiling and chatting away as they drive down the road.

They could write a thousand tickets a day in my town alone if they enforced the law on cell phone use while driving but let's not forget, that anything a driver has in his or her hands is against the law while driving, like that Bugger King whopper, Hot coffee, Sonic foot long hot dog or my downfall, a daylight doughnut apple fritter:)

Sam

·
7,770 Posts
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are:)
Sam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts