Motorcycle Forum banner

Textile jacket that isn't too hot?

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  murphyshuman 
#1 ·
So I am in a market for a jacket. I currently live in New York but moving to North Oregon soon( a month or so). Oregon doesn't get extreme temperatures and rains a lot... or so I hear. I personally believe a full mesh jacket won't do me too much good as it will only be good for a couple of months. Looking at textile jackets, quite a few of them are more oriented towards cold season riding but doesn't extend far enough into mid 80s.

Perhaps any of you guys would know of a textile jacket that is milder weather oriented jacket but can be expanded into the summers of pacific north west areas. Id like to stay around the $150 mark but willing to extend the budget by a little.

Some of the jackets I personally considered:
Joe Rocket Ballistic Revolution(textile)
AGV Sport Sniper(textile)
Joe Rocket Pheonix 5.0(mesh)

#3 ·
Oregon doesn't get extreme temperatures and rains a lot... or so I hear.
I think that depends on where you are. Eastern Oregon is a desert and doesn't get much precipitation. I think it rains more in the winter for the rest of the state.

I can ride down to about 50°F with the liner in my mesh jacket as long as it's not too far. Otherwise, I'll want the leather.

#4 ·
Layers. You'd be surprised how much further down temperature wise you can ride by just adding a light windbreaker. Or an insulated one for even lower. I add my leather shirt used for summer riding to a mesh jacket with liner starting in February depending on just how cold it is. But layers is the key for me!

#6 ·
I wouldn't sell the mesh jackets short. Most mesh jackets come with a removable rain/windbreaker liner. Since I bought my mesh jacket, I rarely wear my touring jacket unless it will be cold all day. Instead I'll layer up under the mesh jacket in the morning and slowly take off layers as the day gets warmer. A few times this spring it was in the high 30s in the morning, and the mid 80s by afternoon. My touring jacket with the liner removed and all the vents open is still too warm for me when it's in the 80s.

#7 ·
I have a mesh armored jacket with 2 zip in liners.....
Them liners do come in handy.....
I can ride down to 35F.....
Below that i don't take a chance on black ice in shaded area....
Bike don't go out till it warms up......
Usually by then it is November n hunting season here 4 deer, so.....
Bike is up for the long winter.....

#8 ·
I wear a Fieldsheer, though I couldn't tell you exactly which one. It's pretty heavy, but I've never felt too hot in it so long as I have the vents open and am moving. The only time I've felt uncomfortable is when I'm waiting at a long stoplight on a 90+ degree day and a hot engine, and I've never had a time where it got unbearable. My comfort range is a bit wider than most people's though.

#9 · (Edited)
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle-jackets

I just received an email from them about the sales they having going on right now. I thought of this thread. They have a few mesh jackets on clearance. This is who we bought our Olympia Air Glide II's from for a great price a couple years ago. They have an insulated liner and a waterproof windbreaker liner. The windbreaker one is nice for wearing as a light jacket when we get where we are going.

You might find something here that meets your needs. Good Luck.

#11 ·
Welcome from Seattle. I wear a Sedici textile jacket and most of the time it is plenty, if not a bit warm. I would not hesitate to get a mesh jacket for the Summer here. July through September are beautiful, temps are usually in the 70's to mid-80's, and occasionally we have a spell that hits the 90's. When that happens it is really warm because we aren't used to it, and humidity is fairly high here.

#13 ·
It wasn't my intention to steer you any direction regarding mesh...l have never worn mesh, so l cannot say. What l can say is, Oregon and Washington are not cool as a Spring day all year long like people make them out to be, especially if you travel east of the Cascades, where a lot of great riding is done.

#15 ·
I LOVE my Joe Rocket jacket, it's SO versatile. It has a zip-out rain liner, and the vented shell can also be zipped off to turn it into a mesh jacket. I haven't had to use the rain liner, but I ride to work in the full jacket and then remove the shell for my trip home mid-afternoon. Super quick and easy. I believe the style is "Alter Ego"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.