Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! :71baldboy:

After about five years I finally decided to switch from my old GoPro 3 to the new GoPro 8. I am amazed :nerd: The image stabilization is staggering. I put it on my chesty belt and took my Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer for a spin:

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
It certainly is stable enough.
But mounting it on you is not a good test.
Mount it to the bike and let me see how well
the stabilization works.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair point! I will definitely test it under various circumstances. Before I mount it to the bike itself I will do some filming by hand though - let's see how it does without a gimbal :wink2:

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
I'll look forward to seeing your results!
I've been fighting the battle with shaking myself.
I have a cheap camera with no stabilization.
And I ride a Goldwing, the smoothest riding bike ever made. If I mount the camera to the crash bars or seat frame, I get GREAT video. But if I mount it anywhere else, the shaking of the camera mount, or whatever it's mounted on makes the video unwatchable.
It's making me nuts. I don't want to spend the money on another camera, but I may have to.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Offcenter, you could also try using some decent video editing software to smoothen the image. But to be honest a new camera might actually be better. I just read that you can trade in an old camera and get 100 bucks off the price of the new GoPro. It's on their website.

I'm looking forward too :nerd:

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Now ya got me thinking.

I have an old camera here that I could trade in.
What I don't have is $300. LOL!!!
I've tried the video editing software. The anti shake in the few that I've tried doesn't help much.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Being that I usually ride alone, there's been times I wish I had some kind of video camera so I could share what I've seen with the family.

Is there a way to play what you've recorded on your TV set at home? Or does it have to be played on a computer? Can the GoPro camera batteries be charged with a power port mounted on the bike?

Do I need to be a computer geek to use a GoPro, or can anyone do it?

Sorry about all the questions but I've watched other peoples motorcycle vacation videos on YouTube and next thing I know, I'm there with them. They're great.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The camera is expensive, but I've been using my last one for five years, so in the end it was worth the money :smile_big:

Retired Guy, you can play GoPro videos at home if you have a somewhat up-to-date tv with a USB slot - you can connect the camera with that (imagine like a USB stick, just with a cable) and then play the files. If the battery of the camera goes flat too fast, you can attach an extra battery at the back of the camera - I'm not sure if it works with GoPro 8 because its casing is new, but it should fit older versions. The GoPro itself is easy to operate I think; it's when you want to edit the videos you recorded that you will need some skills. Beyond that it's just some trial and error to see what works and what doesn't :smile:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I really like the idea of using video on vacation. If it's not that hard to do, I better start saving some $$$'s. Maybe I could find a good used camera somewhere too, or is that a bad idea?

I thought your video up above was fine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Used cameras are certainly a lot cheaper and not necessarily much worse. For example, the Hero 7 by GoPro already had great stabilization. However, I don't know how reliable older cameras usually are. My own GoPro 3 is still working after 5 years, but sometimes it shows 2/3 battery charge and then suddenly shuts down. I still have to find out if that's due to the battery or the camera before I sell it.

Maybe others here can share their experiences :nerd:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My laptop will shut down suddenly like that. I reckon before I get a GoPro or any other camera, I need to take care of a few other things first. Be glad when my medicare or whatever it is kicks in next year. Maybe then I'll be able to save a few more coins for important stuff. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts