Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Today in Augusta, they had some demo Scouts, at the Polaris/Victory/Indian stealership. Pre-production jobs that they just rolled off of the truck this morning. Along with those, they brought out a few Chief Vintages and Chieftains, for those of us that wanted to take the full size bike for a spin.

Walking up to the Scout, I have to say that, while it looks small, the lines are still quite pleasing to the eye, overall. The overall fit and finish was outstanding, with the only areas of detail I think could be improved in the looks department would be the areas of the frame directly under the seat and behind the neck. I think some simple covers could have been made to make the areas appear smoother. Then again, it does match the looks of the engine nicely. The paintjob looked excellent, and the color choices all went well with the leather saddle and black engine and wheels. The chrome looked well done, too, and they had just enough to highlight things, but not so much that it became a distraction.

Sitting on the Scout, the very first thing I notice is how the saddle feels. It literally felt like the thing was molded just for my hind end. I think I could sit in this saddle all day long, and be comfortable. It felt supportive, but with enough give to not feel like it was carved from granite.

The reach to the bars was good, for shorter people like myself, Though the grips were further back than I normally like. Still, the grip angle felt really comfortable to me, and though the grips themselves felt small to me, (I'm used to Kuryakyn grips, which are a good deal thicker) they were still comfortable.

Bringing it off its sidestand left me very surprised. This is a 500lb bike, but the machine actually felt lighter than a Honda Rebel to me. And with it's low seat height, my knees even had some bend sitting there. It did have me wondering how well this ride would handle the typical Maine roads, though.

The reach to the pegs was longer than what I am used to. My legs were almost straight out in front of me. But even with the legs stretched as they were, the peg positioning was still reachable for me.

The helmet goes on, and now is the time to start it up. The bike starts up immediately after hitting the button, and settles into a nice, mellow idle around 1000rpm or so. There is a hit of roughness to it, but I was informed that they deliberately made the idle a bit rough to give the bike a certain feel.

The clutch is not heavy at all, and is quite smooth. No binding in it's cable actuated operation what-so-ever. The friction zone does seem a bit small, but still easy enough to feel. Snicking it into first, I wait for the small group to head out.

Yeah... them forward controls are not where I am used to. My feet wanted to go where they normally go when I am on the Vmax, but that only happened once, and I found that the forward placement was no hindrance to my riding. Once moving, my feet had no issues operating the shifter lever. Shifting action was VERY smooth through all six gears. Neutral was an easy find as well, telling me that the engineers did a good job designing this engine and tranny.

Traveling down the road, the engine feels smooth in its responses to throttle input. There seems to be plenty of torque, and even in sixth gear, she would pull easily enough from around 2800rpm on up. I did notice that below 2500rpm, she would seem to want to lug a bit in top gear, but getting the rpm's back up is just a snick of the shifter. Above 3500rpm, and the engine really seemed to wake up, but when you hit five grand on the tach, you will be feeling the vibes through the grips.

The brakes felt pretty good on this machine. The brakes, even with the single caliper and disk on the front, slowed the bike down pretty well for normal riding. I did not have any opportunity to practice emergency stops, but I feel confident that they would do surprisingly well. One of the things which helps here is the braided stainless lines.

Handling is really nimble on the Scout. More so than most cruisers. The steering feels light, but sure footed, and responds to whatever imputs you give. I can only imagine how she would feel with a really good set of Avons mounted.

Overall, I am quite impressed with the new Scout. Yes, I do see areas where I might make some changes. Fortunately, Indian is already on that. According to not only the reps I talked with, but the website, they will have different seats and kits, to move not only your butt but your feet forward or back as needed. They also have different bars available. I am hoping for drag bars, myself.

10/10 I would buy this bike.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Thanks for the review.........

"Price" as it sits there? (Without any requested add-ons)

How big is the motor on it? (CC's)

I was a bit surprised that it "idled" at 1000 RPM. Seems kinda high, doesn't it?

You "in the market" ???

-Soupy

·
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the review.........

"Price" as it sits there? (Without any requested add-ons)

How big is the motor on it? (CC's)

I was a bit surprised that it "idled" at 1000 RPM. Seems kinda high, doesn't it?

You "in the market" ???

-Soupy
The price Indian lists for this bike right now is $11k. The displacement is listed in at 69 cubic inches. Not certain how many CC that is.
And that idle speed is on par with the Shadow 750, and considering the bike has an 8k redline, it seems about right.

and I AM giving this bike strong consideration!

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Nice write up, I figured that with the power and torque numbers the power delivery would be close to that of a Japanese cruiser than a Harley. Nothing wrong with that if that's to your liking. Except for the shape of the tank it's not a bad looking bike. The radiator detracts from the looks as well, but there's nothing they could have done about that. It's not what I expected, but it's cool they kinda built their interpretation of an Indian instead of trying to build a Harley clone like so many others.

·
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice write up, I figured that with the power and torque numbers the power delivery would be close to that of a Japanese cruiser than a Harley. Nothing wrong with that if that's to your liking. Except for the shape of the tank it's not a bad looking bike. The radiator detracts from the looks as well, but there's nothing they could have done about that. It's not what I expected, but it's cool they kinda built their interpretation of an Indian instead of trying to build a Harley clone like so many others.
The power delivery is much different than from even a typical Japanese cruiser. Feels more like a mid level nekkid standard I would guess as for delivery. While it does look like a cruiser, it acts like it wants to be more.

I can live with the looks of the tank, and the radiator can be done with a shroud of some sort to actually add to the looks instead of detracting.

I see a lot of potential with this machine, and it has me wondering what could be done once a Powercommander V is made for it. Combine that with a freer flowing intake and exhaust, and maybe even a new cam, and this could really have some serious potential. at that point, though, it will need brake and suspension upgrades, and I would recommend some company making some nice mid-mount controls for it, as well as the forward seat and maybe some dragbars. Better tires too.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
1500 Miles + on Mine Now and thinking is a well built machine .. Plenty Fast and Handles Great .. Could probably use a little More Comfort wise, Better Suspension and Seat would be nice .. Hopefully the After market will be Kicking in for some of that ..

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I've not had a chance to ride one, but I did sit on one at a dealer. Very comfortable for me ( 5'7"). Somewhat small engine compared to the 1600 on my current bike, but then again, this bike has no passenger seat and I'm sure it could handle a rider with ease. The bike looks great and for us old guys, it looks just like what a motorcycle is supposed to look like. I'm not a big fan of the large valanced fenders but they sure let you know it is an Indian and not some other brand. When I hit the lottery I would certainly consider adding an Indian to my garage, but it might more likely be the Roadmaster than the Scout.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Yeah, I didn't like those fenders to start with either. But I finally figured out that the fender is very functional especially in rain, so it started growing on me an I now like it as a stand out from others feature.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
My wife and I are planning to buy a larger touring bike in the spring, if finances cooperate (we also need a newer family car). We narrowed it down to the Ultra Glide, I currently own a Harley and love it, the Cross Country Tour, and the Roadmaster. We ruled out the Victory during a demo ride. It is a less expensive bike than the other two, and you can see the difference in the small details. I also did not like the overhead cam engine for a bike like this. It was strong enough, but I didn't like that it needs more revs to stay in the happy zone. The Ultra I have rode, I liked the power and feel. But the bike feels smaller to my tall body, and my wife didn't find the pillion as comfortable as the Roadmaster. We'll ride the Roadmaster in the coming weeks. Unless the ride completely disappoints, it looks like the winner in our book.

Plus, it has to be one of the most beautiful production bikes ever, in our opinion.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
My wife and I are planning to buy a larger touring bike in the spring, if finances cooperate (we also need a newer family car). We narrowed it down to the Ultra Glide, I currently own a Harley and love it, the Cross Country Tour, and the Roadmaster. We ruled out the Victory during a demo ride. It is a less expensive bike than the other two, and you can see the difference in the small details. I also did not like the overhead cam engine for a bike like this. It was strong enough, but I didn't like that it needs more revs to stay in the happy zone. The Ultra I have rode, I liked the power and feel. But the bike feels smaller to my tall body, and my wife didn't find the pillion as comfortable as the Roadmaster. We'll ride the Roadmaster in the coming weeks. Unless the ride completely disappoints, it looks like the winner in our book.

Plus, it has to be one of the most beautiful production bikes ever, in our opinion.
Which? The Ultra or Roadmaster?

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
I agree. Maybe it's the newness of the Roadmaster but it's a nice looking machine regardless.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
The Roadmaster is one Sweet Machine, Tested it Several Times .. Might have went that way if had made a Decent Trade Offer on my Cross Country .. But am glad went with the Scout option Since I ride about 80-90% Solo this machine has all I need and like having the 2 Bike Option ..

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
The black model next to you in that picture is the color we like. The black with chrome and brown leather just really appeals to both of us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts