·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,978 Posts
Unfortunately we are always at the mercy and whim of those driving two to four ton machines while we sit on an open machine of just several hundred pounds. As was said long ago, "whether the rock hits the pitcher, or the pitcher hits the rock, it will not turn out well for the pitcher". I used to say that I try to ride as if I was invisible, but in truth, that is more than difficult to actually do. For the most part I expect others on the roads to be observant, obey traffic rules and not be oblivious to the well being of others around them. Riding down any two lane road is ALWAYS a risk that a vehicle coming the other way will veer across the yellow line and kill us before we even realized what has happened. The impaired driver, the elderly driver with poor vision or too slow reflexes, let alone the driver texting or fiddling with the electronic gadgets that are proliferating in cars and trucks all have the potential to kill us.

Sometimes when I think about his stuff, or about an accident such as what was the start of this thread, I say to myself "riding a motorcycle is just plain insane", but I still ride. I'm getting pretty old at 76, and there are just not as many things as there used to be to make life worthwhile. I love my wife and kids and grand kids, but frankly, that's not enough to make my life feel full. Every time I get on my bike, or my scooter, 40 years of my age disappear and the blood starts to pump a bit faster. Some other pleasures are just not realistic for me anymore. I'm too old, with too many ailments to jump out of airplanes anymore. Skiing stopped when I had double knee replacement, as did running. I still like to chase females, but if I catch them I forget why I was chasing them (not to get too indelicate about the effects of aging on my love life). Even shooting, an activity that I used to really enjoy, now is just a once and awhile thing to make sure I don't forget which end to point at the bad guy. So riding, even just scooting around on my new 149cc Honda PCX, is what I enjoy and look forward to. Maybe someday I will be the subject of some little blurb in the local paper saying "Old man killed in motorcycle accident" but in the final analysis, it beats sitting in the rocking chair and waiting for Father Death to come and claim me.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the one's that died or were hurt in this tragic accident, as well as to their families and friends. But those that died did so doing something they likely enjoyed more than most things in life, and few people get to leave this earth that way. RIP.

·
American Legion Rider
26,362 Posts
I've always say to ride like they are trying to kill you. I swear that's exactly what is happening sometimes. Accidents like that happen extremely fast. I do pray for everyone. I hesitate with the cagers though. Yeah, I'm human with real emotions some would call shortcomings. Very sad event regardless.

Reactions: Porky

·
Ace Tuner
3,736 Posts
Our local 10:00 PM Houston news said it was a head-on collision, nothing more reported so far that I can find.

Maybe the driver of the truck had a medical episode or something?

·
Registered
781 Posts
UPDATE:
One of the riders in yesterdays tragedy, said she saw what was happening and laid her bike down on purpose in order to avoid the crash. She said people were there instantly to help. Accident scene investigators are on site now, trying to reconstruct the accident.

The driver of the truck is Volodoymyr Zhukovskyy age 23. His lawyer will not say if he fled the scene, was drunk or on drugs. At the moment no arrests have been made.

·
Visionary
5,405 Posts
This is so terrible, what a tragedy for everyone involved and their families. Prayers for all.
It's weird how little news has been coming out about this though, very few new details have emerged. Something just feels wrong.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
UPDATE:
One of the riders in yesterdays tragedy, said she saw what was happening and laid her bike down on purpose in order to avoid the crash. She said people were there instantly to help. Accident scene investigators are on site now, trying to reconstruct the accident.

The driver of the truck is Volodoymyr Zhukovskyy age 23. His lawyer will not say if he fled the scene, was drunk or on drugs. At the moment no arrests have been made.
Source?

·
Registered
617 Posts
However this happened, it is tragic. Scenarios like this are one reason I avoid large group rides, as much fun as they can be. At least when riding alone you have more room to maneuver if a collision threatens, and you're not going to have a domino effect from riders ahead of you going down.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.