Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yall,
First off happy thanks giving. I was doing a quick rebuild on a 1972 xl 250 engine. When I seating the timing sprocket onto the cam, I heard a crack and doing a little further investigation I saw it was a small partial fracture /splintering in the plastic chain tensioner. I saw it was still putting tension on the chain so with my impulsivity I decided to put the engine back together. Anyways I put it back together and it runs as expected, before I take it for any more ride or start it again I just wanted to get some advice whether I should open it back up and replace it. Im a college student so I would rather not buy a price gouged oem piece of plastic but if it is needed I will. This is my first rebuild so pardon me if there is an obvious answer.
Thanks.
Below is a diagram of where the partial fracture is located on the timing chain tensioner.
Human body Jaw Organism Line Font

·
Visionary
6,215 Posts
Replace it right now, before you start it again. The last thing you need is that plastic breaking further and destroying your rebuilt engine, and now that it's cracked you know it will.
I can be as cheap as anyone but even I would change that right away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts