Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some of you guys have adventure bikes...please tell me about them. What do you do with it? What are its strengths and weaknesses? How does it handle as a road bike? Is it comfortable and easy to ride as a touring bike? Does it have enough power? Has it ever let you down? If you had it to do over would you buy the same bike?

I am not looking to ride it off-road, but would like to ride some old logging roads and whatnot.

C

·
0 Posts
My adventure bike is the Goldwing and even though I have not got one yet it is in the near future as soon as I can find one with the right year, mileage, and price.

I find it comfortable for long road trips, radio is nice, GPS works like a dream, good power, and superb handling. Has it let me down? No never. I have ridding a few and rented a few. As matter in fact, I rented this on my Nevada & California road trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My adventure bike is the Goldwing and even though I have not got one yet it is in the near future as soon as I can find one with the right year, mileage, and price.

I find it comfortable for long road trips, radio is nice, GPS works like a dream, good power, and superb handling. Has it let me down? No never. I have ridding a few and rented a few. As matter in fact, I rented this on my Nevada & California road trip.
l love that you know what you want and are on that path Pulsar! l just can't see riding that big of a bike on dirt roads though.

·
American Legion Rider
18,563 Posts
You would be surprised the roads I've been on with all my bikes with just street tires. Unless you are wanting to go up and over logs, you can run down just about any logging road. Remember, they were/are used to remove logs so trucks get down them. Not likely you'll find a downed tree. Get the bike you want and go for it hawk. The only time I've ever had problems was going through loose sand and sloppy mud which I wish I'd had nobbies then. Are you really going to switch wheels/tires anyway?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hawk, I can't say a Goldwing is a bike Rollin has posted. I have seen his posts for a few years and he really gets around. :thumbsup:
:) The Vision has done well on the trips and I'm hoping to do another unpaved adventure this year!

·
6,496 Posts
I don't think the OP was talking about 'Land Yachts.' even if they have dual-sport tires on them but there is an adventure part to this as in when these whales fall over on some dirt road or fire-road-logging road, the walk out to find a large tow truck could be quite and adventure.:biggrin:

Oh, I've had two Goldwing's and it's portly "Axis of evil" cousin, the spaceship, BMW K1200LT-C myself.

The occasional dirt or gravel road ridden at low speeds is okay I guess, if you want to ruin the bike.

Triumph makes some good adventure bikes as does Yamaha and Suzuki. The other "Axis of evil" partner, the Italians also have some for sale.

I had a new Suzuki DL1000 some time ago and it was a very competent adventure bike and the new redesigned one with the 'touring' package looks great. The little V-Strom 650, especially the newer redesigned ones are highly sought after and a good value.

I've also had like 3 Kawasaki KLR 650's, a Suzuki DR 650 and a KTM 640 EXC and they all were fantastic with the exception of long distance 'adventure,' as they are quite dirt oriented.

Stay away from the new BMW GS series as they have had a complet: "Stop ride order" on the entire line because of a collapsing rear suspension. Local dealer haven't been able to sell any for the last year or so.

I had a 1999 R1100GS and I wish I still did as it was fantastic and it ate up the roads and an occasional dirt and gravel road with aplomb.:p

Someone will probably tell you that the Spyder or that other 3 wheeled thing would be fine with 'dirt' tires but don't believe it.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
18,563 Posts
My 185 Honda Twinstar is long from a land yacht. I used it like dirt bike on occasions. The point being made here is you don't HAVE to have an adventure bike. It depends on how much "adventure" you want. Like I said, are you going to climb logs? Then you might need an adventure bike. As far as hurting your prize machine, what good is it sitting in garage collecting dust. Use the sucker. A little road grime won't ruin it. JMO

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not sure what an adventure bike is ,I have adventures on all of them.i do have a Suzuki DR650 dual sport that I have rougher adventures on and it's great in rough terrain but only ok on the highway because of the dirt bike seat.i only ride the highway on it to get to the rough stuff.

·
American Legion Rider
18,563 Posts
Yeah, Suzuki DR's have darn 2x8 board for a seat. Worst thing I ever sat on.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
You've got to love those tip overs on the Vision. I can even lift ours off of them with my bad back.

Like Harley says, we've had some really nice adventures on al of our bikes!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hawk, you may already know about this place, but if not, prepare to spend several hours there:

http://advrider.com/forums/index.php

Some of the pictures these guys post are nothing short of art work!

I never had a dirt bike as a kid, and if I get off the road its because I got a fishing pole in my hand!
Its not my thing, but I enjoy reading stories of people that do.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Triumph Tiger 800xc. Incredible bike. I road the BMW 800 GS before I bought the Triumph. If you're going to do more on road the Triumph is a better bike. If your going to do more off road the BMW is probably the better way to go. I have also have ridden the 1200's and my opinion is the same; triumph on road, BMW for off road. This biggest complaint I have with my 2014 Tiger is that it's too powerful and the throttle is a bit too touchy off road, which is where the BMW really shines. The 2015 Tigers have been upgraded to take care of this issue and they added cruise control...whish I would have waited for a '15!

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,772 Posts
I use my Bonneville for the kind of riding you describe, Hawk. Here's a blog entry on how I prepared it for occasional off street forays. http://www.roaddogpub.com/#!ADVing-Your-Bike/c1q8z/7F41F2B7-2B0F-40DF-A52E-DAE1B4A8D872 Lots of "standards" can do occasional off road adventures with some tweaks. That said, however, the next bike I plan to buy is the Triumph Tiger 800XC to give me the opportunity to do more and rougher off road rides.

Cheers,

Mike

·
6,496 Posts
Lots of folks are taking the Triumph Scrambler and putting different tires on it and dropping the countershaft sprocket by one tooth, adding a skid plate and some aftermarket handlebars that are a little higher and have a dirt bike bend to them and they have a passable adventure bike of sorts and it still works well for the highway. The Scrambler really sounds good with a set of their aftermarket pipes.

I had a new 2010 Scrambler and it was a nice commuting bike for sure. It was a little uninspiring though because I'm used to twice the Horsepower so the acceleration and top speed left me a little disappointed.

Ergonomically, it was fantastic and it handled very well, had lots of immediate low end torque and shifted as good as anything I'd ridden. I normally got about 40 mpg which is about standard for the bike.

I never did take it in the dirt.

I love the Triumph 3 cylinder engines though and that 800 sure looks sweet.

Sam:)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Well Hawk. I have a BMW g650gs and I love it. I ride year round on it. I commute, take trips and ride around town. The gs models come equipped with engine guard, heated grips, hand guards and ABS. It's very comfortable and very forgiving. Have not had any problems with it in the two years that I've had it. Put 15k on it in that time. It has enough power for what I use it for but I'll be getting the 800gs next year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts