Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I just saw my dream motorcycle on Craigslist. I'll go into details after I either have it or not, you scoundrels. It's not a big bike.

Anyway, it's in Upstate New York, and I'm in North Carolina. I'm old and way too weak to ride it all the way back. I was way too weak to ride it all the way back when I was young. And who knows whether the bike would make it, me not yet having rapport with it.

Shipping seems like an obvious thing to do. But if it's not cheap I can't do it. Can you tell me a little about the shipping landscape up and down the East? What I should pay or is there some other solution I haven't thought of?

Thank you kindly.

SOG

·
7,784 Posts
Just GOOGLE: "Motorcycle shipping." and lots of options and prices will come up. These shipping things work very well because they know what they are doing.

U-Haul rents M/C trailer, open and enclosed very cheaply.

Maybe have the seller meet you half way. I've done that several times.

Or have Wade do it for ya!:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
427 Posts
JU-Haul rents M/C trailer, open and enclosed very cheaply.
If you have an appropriate tow vehicle. Otherwise they also rent pick-ups. Not sure what interstate rates are but it's $20/day in town, far less than any rental car outfit can offer for their sub-compacts. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
cheap is not always the best bet you might end up with a scratched up dinged up bike by the times it gets to you. I am sure it will run a good $400 to $600 to trailer a bike to you. Id call aroundto see what people want. otherwise id take a road trip there with a car and come back with a rental truck and trailer. I did this with my road runner wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Shipping a motorcycle is not cheap, l have looked into it on Ebay and never found it to be less than at least $300-$500 regardless of where it was. But then, nothing is cheap in the world of motorcycling, is it? ;)

·
7,784 Posts
So Hawk, the bike I want is in Seattle and I live in Bangor, Maine, is $300 to $500 excessive? Right now, gas is cheap but I clearly remember the $4 per gal times. Flying is costly as is Greyhound.

I have 'split' the shipping cost with a buyer a few times as part of the "Win-Win' negotiation scenario and everyone's a winner.

I actually shipped a BMW R1100GS to a man in Port Angeles about 10 years ago and the entire transaction was smooth as can be.

One can also fly in and ride back as the guy did that bought my Honda NT700. I picked him up at the airport and he had a ball riding the 900 miles home on a 3 day vacation.

There are many options.

Really, what is $500 anyway? A not so good set of pipes costs more than that.:)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fly me out there and I'll ride it down to your home for you!
He'll take you up on that. What a great offer!

BTW, Skinny Old Guy's dream bike is a 1973 Honda Trail 50 - you nkow, the one with selectable drive sprockets on the rear wheel.

Have a nice ride! :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts