Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I posted my introduction post about a year ago when I was 15 and had just gotten my drivers permit. I got some good advice on the post and now I'm 16, licensed, and I just recently came into a very decent amount of money from an unexpected incident. So I really want to take this opportunity to get myself into motorcycling if I can. I plan on taking the Ride Safe Indiana course soon and applying to get my motorcycle learners permit. Of course, I'm going to get all my safety gear and such, but I have a few questions, both regarding insurance. First, I of course have been looking at all the basic beginner bikes and a few more, but I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if there is any major difference in insurance rates between cruisers, sport bikes, and dual sport bikes if they are all in the 300-600cc range? Also, I know this is a long shot but could anyone give me a super rough estimate on liability insurance prices for a 16 year old? I've been trying to get quotes online and find any info that might help me figure that out but insurance websites won't give me a quote when I put my real age in and if anyone online with any knowledge has posted it, it's proving hard to find. Could I even get insurance for myself? Nobody else in my family is even remotely interested in motorcycles so if I would need an adult I'm related to to be the one on the insurance, then I'm kinda SOL here. Unless one of them could have their name on the insurance without them actually having a motorcycle license. I feel as though I'm fairly knowledgeable on motorcycles, I'm just confused about the process I would have to go through to get insured, if it's even possible. Thanks for your time. I hope to be a part of this wonderful community soon.

· Gone.
14,767 Posts
You're asking a bunch of people that ride motorcycles for quotes and detailed information on insurance. We might know a lot about bikes here, but I don't know if any of us can offer anything other than anecdotal information about insurance. Someone here might be able to offer an opinion based on where they live and where they sell insurance, but most of us here just ride and wrench and so on.

So, I'd suggest getting on your phone and calling several insurance agents in your area. Explain who you are and what your situation is, and ask them if they can help, and how much it will cost. Go straight to the horse's mouth, as it were.

· Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,473 Posts
I'm an insurance agent. Any sport type bike is going to be more money to insure than a cruiser or dual purpose bike. What state are you in? I'd start with your parents agent. At least in NV you can insure on your own.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

· Biker
1,547 Posts
I was talking to insurance companies about insurance for a Harley low rider, they quoted me 550$ and that was for personal injury protection and property damage, I ended up getting a Harley Wide Glide instead, same size engine, YET they wanted another 250$ for the same coverage, still in the Harley Dyna class of motorcycle, it seems More riders ride Wide Glides than Low Riders if that makes any sense.

I found that the half-ass dragon at GEICO wanted Nine hundred to insure, the bike so I don't deal with dragons when it comes to motorcycle insurance, even though I have had my Ford pick-up truck with geico for ten yrs anyway, they had NO intention of giving me a good deal for bike ins.

When I did buy the wide glide new, through a dealer, they want through Harley insurance (Progressive)and that turned out to be the best as they insured the WG and Sporty for 50$ extra. So know exactly what kind of bike you need to insure, NOT one close to it like in my experience.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
I was talking to insurance companies about insurance for a Harley low rider, they quoted me 550$ and that was for personal injury protection and property damage, I ended up getting a Harley Wide Glide instead, same size engine, YET they wanted another 250$ for the same coverage, still in the Harley Dyna class of motorcycle, it seems More riders ride Wide Glides than Low Riders if that makes any sense.

I found that the half-ass dragon at GEICO wanted Nine hundred to insure, the bike so I don't deal with dragons when it comes to motorcycle insurance, even though I have had my Ford pick-up truck with geico for ten yrs anyway, they had NO intention of giving me a good deal for bike ins.

When I did buy the wide glide new, through a dealer, they want through Harley insurance (Progressive)and that turned out to be the best as they insured the WG and Sporty for 50$ extra. So know exactly what kind of bike you need to insure, NOT one close to it like in my experience.
We're you quoting both the WG and Sportster at the same time with the other companies too? A multi unit policy can be a big discount.

· Biker
1,547 Posts
Hello VistaVette,

No I was just looking for ins for the wide glide, this was before I bought it, some ins. co. quoted 550$ and I thought it would work for the WG too, but that was a BIG NO. So I went back to H-D and spoke to them about ins. they told me ,"We use Harley ins which is part of progressive." Since they have so many riders buying Harley, I guess it gives them a pretty good deal, so I stuck with H-D ins and shortly after, like a few months I missed riding the Sporty, which I did have with Geico but for the size and hp, it was do-able. So I called H-D and for a fifty, I could get same coverage on the Sporty too.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
Hello VistaVette,

No I was just looking for ins for the wide glide, this was before I bought it, some ins. co. quoted 550$ and I thought it would work for the WG too, but that was a BIG NO. So I went back to H-D and spoke to them about ins. they told me ,"We use Harley ins which is part of progressive." Since they have so many riders buying Harley, I guess it gives them a pretty good deal, so I stuck with H-D ins and shortly after, like a few months I missed riding the Sporty, which I did have with Geico but for the size and hp, it was do-able. So I called H-D and for a fifty, I could get same coverage on the Sporty too.
Yeah, the discount is due to the multiple bikes. Works the same with cars. If you call around with the two bikes you might find a better deal still

· Registered
21 Posts
When I was 16 I would always resort to online instead of picking up a phone and making a phone call. Especially for stuff like this.

Do your self a HUGE favor and just google motorcycle insurance companies, then call 4 or 5 and tell them you want a quote. This is their job and they will do it for you for free.

Also, at 16 you don't have a lot of driving experience, so I would say get a smaller bike (250cc-500cc) and try to avoid city riding and riding at night in general. The motorcycle safety class is a great idea and I think you are on the right track.

Good luck!

· Registered
4,365 Posts
To the OP: If your parents aren't on board with you riding, it's really a moot point. You would need them to put the bike in their name, sign for you to take classes, and sign for you to get insurance. Additionally, at least in my state, you have to have a regular driver's license before you can ride a street bike. Have you done this? I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I think you have quite a few other things to iron out before worrying about insurance. Just my $.02

· Administrator
1,808 Posts
I am in Indiana and been here for 9 months the CBR was 85.00 it was a 250cc the Goldwing is 1000cc and only 75.00. They were insured seperatly because I sold the CBR.
I am 45 been riding for 32 year no accident or tickets, however the last 5 years AND (this ticks me) your credit score affects your rates. At your age you may not find anyone without you as a rider on their policy first.

· Loves All Motorcycles
997 Posts
If motorcycle insurance is anything like car insurance, it's going to be pretty expensive for a handful of years. I was paying like $173/mo for car insurance on a single (slow) car until I turned 22, then it dropped to about $85/mo and now it's down to $60/mo at me being 25. The bikes are about $27/mo, each. I also require SR-22**. I've been told SR-22 usually means more expensive insurance, but I haven't noticed any difference in the cost.

**Long story: TL;DR - I trusted my insurance co's nifty feature to view and download insurance cards online, so I never carried paper copies. When I got stopped one night, it was in an area of so poor reception that I couldn't even reach the webpage. Oh no...Ticket for no insurance. I showed the judge my very valid insurance, however he refused to drop the ticket because even though I did have valid insurance, I couldn't prove it at the time of the stop. Oof! Lesson learned!

Reactions: Porky and FlipFlop

· Administrator
1,808 Posts
You know my insurance companies, as some know I am a cheap insurance shopped really don't care about quality as much as I do about just being legal, always boast about printing things off line and using the e-feature on my phone and my concern was always leaving my phone at home. I have always demanded there cards printed by them carried on my bikes and for that very reason I always worried that would happen on some level. But damn they got you on SR22 for that. Sems like that was extreme harshness, are you in People Republic of Wisconsin or the Communist state of Illinois? Sorry you got to deal with thhat guessing you did not go in with an attorney eh?

I know when I lived in STL going across the boarder the east STL side the cops would do random checks for insurance due to soooooo many not having insurance (on the bikes anyway). It felt wrong being pulled over just to be check for your papers (sound familiar?) But strangely enough in Missouri they have issues with people running from cops due to the no chase regulation/law they have so they just have uninsured/under-insured almost double what the normal rates are to compensate for the lack of legal responsibility. In Indiana they get you in other ways but insurance is not the way they get you.

· On The Road Again!
4,156 Posts
Hey Drevj12!
I don't have any comments about insurance or anything.
But I must compliment you on your proper spelling and punctuation!
It's nice to see a young guy who can type up a very readable and understandable post!
Stay with us. You'll do well here.

Reactions: FlipFlop

· Loves All Motorcycles
997 Posts
You know my insurance companies, as some know I am a cheap insurance shopped really don't care about quality as much as I do about just being legal, always boast about printing things off line and using the e-feature on my phone and my concern was always leaving my phone at home. I have always demanded there cards printed by them carried on my bikes and for that very reason I always worried that would happen on some level. But damn they got you on SR22 for that. Sems like that was extreme harshness, are you in People Republic of Wisconsin or the Communist state of Illinois? Sorry you got to deal with thhat guessing you did not go in with an attorney eh?

I know when I lived in STL going across the boarder the east STL side the cops would do random checks for insurance due to soooooo many not having insurance (on the bikes anyway). It felt wrong being pulled over just to be check for your papers (sound familiar?) But strangely enough in Missouri they have issues with people running from cops due to the no chase regulation/law they have so they just have uninsured/under-insured almost double what the normal rates are to compensate for the lack of legal responsibility. In Indiana they get you in other ways but insurance is not the way they get you.
I live on the Illinois side of the border. One judgement of driving without insurance is enough to brand you with SR-22. On that night, I was traveling through DuPage County. Fun fact: The court costs they tacked onto the ticket were greater than the fine itself. I had never seen anything like that before! I decided against getting a lawyer as the officer told me that showing the judge proof of insurance from before the date I got stopped would result in the ticket getting dropped. The judge didn't get that memo!

There's also a village near where I live that's very anti-motorcycle. If the police so much hear you from 75 feet away, they reserve the right to impound your bike and minimum fee to get it out is $650.

Towns in my area also used to set up checkpoints to check for license, insurance, registration, and intoxication. It was vastly unpopular and it only lasted for a couple years, though they do pop up every once in a while.

Reactions: FlipFlop

· SUPER MODERATOR
7,681 Posts
Vistavette is our insurance guy here and he has corrected me a few times regarding insurance topics, so maybe PM him if it's okay with him and he will lead you the right way!:grin:

Having said that, here I go probably putting my foot in my mouth::surprise:

A 600cc dualsport bike is a FAR CRY from the 600cc Supersport racebikes that are MUCH more expensive to insure because they are only 1/2 a second slower in the quarter mile than the 1000cc open class superbikes and can be a real handfull for even a very experienced rider. Chances are an insurance company of repute wouldn't even insure you and if they did it would be terribly expensive:surprise: Stay away from any bike with the word 'NINJA,' or 'GSXR,' or 'YZR,' or 'CBRR,' :surprise:

A Motorcycle dealer friend of mine about 10 years ago told me about a man buying his 16 year old Son a new Suzuki GSXR 750 and the man rode it home and called his insurance agency a few days later to insure it. They told him that if his Son was to even be on the policy, it would cost $4,000 per year:crying:

My insurance on EVERYTHING I own, Businesses, Farm, personal and all vehicles is through State Farm and I've been with them for over 55 years:grin: They absolutely have me to thank for their bottom line and keeping them in the 'Black.' (Not Racist):wink2: I pay approx $15,000 per year total:sad:

Any bike I want from a Scooter to my recently past Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster, Goldwings, V-Max, Yoshimura 1200 Bandit, Buell Superbike and my present Suzuki DL650 and CTX1300D cost me respectively $35 per month each for the best, full package--everything:wink2:

I suggest that you do some due-diligence before you buy anything:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.