Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my GS500E for about 6 weeks now.

When I drive along at 140 KM/H / 7000 RPM it sets out after about 3 kilometres (1,5 mile) and goes down to about 4000 RPM or 80 KM/H.
I can changes gears down and force it up again, or wait a minute to come back in 6th gear, but it'll keep doing it. No problem above or under 7000 rpm. I stopped once when it happened, and it turned off for 10 minutes! Couldn't start it.
I've tried releasing pressure in the tank, by opening the tank and reserve tank, no luck.

I don't know where to start looking. I'm in school and don't have money for a mechanic :/

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
That sounds strong as a tank ventilation problem. Vacuum lock

You do not have luck when you change to reserve or open the tank, because the gas petcock is operated by vacuum generated in the carburetors (if you have the original petcock). In order for gasoline to flow, the engine must be rotating and making vacuum in the carburetors.

Next time you ride, start with the gas tank slightly open. If the problem does not arise, it is the ventilation of the tank. If it is present again, you probably have a pinched hose, either vacuum or fuel.

Don't forget to check the air filter, may be it's clogged.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts