Motorcycle Forum banner

Teaching LickerSplit to Ride

5K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  CrazyNinja650R 
#1 · (Edited)
I need some tips on teaching Pam how to ride.

She's got a fear factor that's off the map --- same as I have about getting on horses, since I"ve been thrown off every one I ever tried to ride.

I admire her courage in being willing to learn, but I"m just not sure that anyone that scared SHOULD try and learn how to ride.

I really need your suggestions, ideas.

What I"ve done so far.

In a car, I've followed some good riders in traffic, pointing out to Pam the things they are and are NOT doing --- like "dog paddling" or "Fred Flintstoning" at stops and takeoffs. Riding NOT in the center of the lane. Being predictable. I've described eVERY move they made with their hands, feet, like shifting into neutral at a light, ... (thanks to whoever that GREAT BMW rider was....)

I've ridden her on the BACK of the Vespa and allowed her to give me a reach-around, err, rather, had HER run the throttle and front brake as we went around a parking lot. Saying "OK, I want you to stop on THAT line..." etc.

She literally had no concept of twisting the throttle to accelerate, roll off to slow.

I've had her close her eyes, and described the location of the controls --- horn, turn signal, brakes, kill switch, etc.

She sez "The motor is very loud" on the Vespa and "I don't like to go fast" Well, earplugs maybe, but I've never gotten it above 32 mph with her on the back.

I suspect that putting her on a 50cc scooter IN A PARKING lot is the way to start this. Having her go 5-10 feet then stop smoothly, ten feet hence.

I don't think she's ready for the BRC until she can confidently run a scooter around a parking lot, much less shift a bike.

Or is someone this fearful simply NOT a good candidate to learn to ride.

REALLY. NEED. YOUR. ADVICE.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
You are trying to force the issue and that is never good. You can't even have respect for your girlfriends own fears. Not surprising with you. Right or wrong they are her fears. Leave then alone. You are literally trying to kill her. Anyone with fear like that will make a mistake that will kill them. Way to go Wade. Have it your way. You can't get it through your head there are some people that should not be on 2 wheels. That's a fact. There are. Go ahead. Get her killed. I really feel sorry for her though. You are the winner!

#4 ·
I am not as fearful as Wade thinks. I know and have seen many repercussions of motorcycle accidents so I probably have an overdose of healthy respect for the dangers involved. At least I am Entering this enterprise with eyes wide open.

As Wade can tell you I am fiercely independent and no one can make me do something I'm not interested in pursuing. So Wade is not forcing me to do anything. I think he is probably being over protective. I believe he does respect me. I don't understand why you have such disdain for Wade.

I'm not sure I will ever be a successful cross country rider but my current goal is to get to the point that I feel comfortable commuting to and from my office. Currently, I bicycle several times a week. In ABQ this activity is probably equally as dangerous as being on a scooter. W

Wish me luck. Wade is a very caring, conscientious instructor.

#3 ·
The BRC is the best way to learn to ride. The curriculum is designed to take a rider who has no more than bicycle experience and teach them the basics of riding.

That being said, not everyone can ride a motorcycle proficiently on their first attempt, and some may not be able to ride one at all.

Fear is a real thing, and riding is risky. Everyone has their own threshold as to how much risk to put themselves in. A healthy dose of danger awareness and risk aversion makes the best riders in my opinion. A bit of fear is better than having none at all.

#5 · (Edited)
There is an old axiom that says....if you can ride a bicycle, you can ride a motorcycle.

Basically the only difference between the two is how you control the speed. You use your hand instead of pedaling. Everything else is the same. Stopping, turning, balancing.

Your umm...fear might be that you feel like you have no control over the beast. But you do. Suit up and hit the parking lot. Start out by just going straight. Then stop. All within 10 to 15 feet. Do it again and again and again, until you feel comfortable. It really is like a bicycle.

And Wade. Maybe rig up a governor so the bike tops out just above idle?

#8 · (Edited)
You all must have a different BRC than we do. If you don't already know the basics here, you will not pass. There are no exceptions. It isn't in the curriculum to teach new people how to ride, it's to teach people that can already get around how to do it safely. There is a failure rate that is quite high for first time riders, fortunately for my wife, I gave her a lot of training before she attended the class.

If you want to teach someone to learn to get on a bike and ride, it will take a while, not going to happen in a 16 hour class.

I can't make a suggestion on how to teach someone to ride without being there and knowing what they have as far as abilities to begin with. You can learn their mindset in just a few minutes, and can show them a few basics, but it is up to them to take it from there.

If they can ride a bike, they can more than likely learn to ride a motorcycle. I learned a lot differently than most people, I had access to every Honda on the sales floor when I was growing up in the early 60's. It didn't take long to learn when I had the shop guys and my dad out there giving me all kinds of pointers when I had to stop close to someone so I didn't fall over because I couldn't reach the ground on some bikes. I had no fear, so that made it easier to learn, and it was what I wanted to do.

I can't take all the credit either, she watched Crash's videos religiously, there was a lot to learn there, and well worth the time it took to watch them!

#9 ·
Out of the 8 people in my BRC, myself and one other had never ridden b4. The people who already rode had as much trouble with the slow speed maneuvers as we noobs did. The only dropped bike in the class was by a guy who owned 3 motorcycles, doing the box. It is my opinion that new riders tend to do better in the class because they listen better and dont have preconceived notions of their abilities to ride, and thus are more open to learning the techniques. I have noticed this phenomenon with taking people to the gun range, as well.

#10 ·
If they don't know how to operate a bike, there is no way that they can be taught in a two day class, nor is that the agenda of the class. Some people do pick things up a lot faster than others, proving that motorcycles aren't for everyone.

A gun is different, it is not a conglomeration of different actions necessary at the same time while attempting to hold balance unlike pulling a trigger. Shooting a gun can be taught in a classroom with no actual physical energy needed. Just like riding though, it takes experience to learn to do it accurately. Anyone can shoot a gun, not everyone can ride a bike.

#11 ·
I respectfully disagree. I think BRCs do teach the operation of a motorcycle. It taught me, otherwise I would not have been able to operate my motorcycle when I bought it. BRC cannot teach you all the ends and outs of motorcycling, but does teach you how to operate a motorcycle, so that you can practice those skills and become a successful rider. That was my primary purpose in attending the class. Just to learn to physically operate a bike. I succeeded in that.

As to shooting guns, sure, anyone can pull a trigger, but that does not mean anyone can operate a gun. There is a lot more to shooting than pulling a trigger, just as there is a lot more to riding than just twisting a throttle. :71baldboy:

#12 ·
I'll stand by my statement that not everyone can or should ride though. And being overly fearful rates up there with those that should not. You need to respect what can or will happen but fearing that event most likely it will happen. Fear is counterproductive. And that's what this thread is about, fear.

The lady has stated though that that level of fear is not there. That just leaves practicing then. And that needs to be at her rate. Someone else may just be expecting too much in this case. It would appear time is what this lady is in need of rather that additional instructions. I just hope she's allowed to learn in her way in her time frame. Sometimes those with the best intentions can have unrealistic expectations when it comes to teaching.

#14 ·
I do believe you are correct but until I see a little more proof I'll consider her a lady. If we are right I just call Wade a girl.:D Have to admit he appears to have multiple personalities for sure. This appears to be just another of his throw it out there and never come back threads anyway. But there is that outside chance there's a person in need too.

#15 ·
I think that if Mrs Slum ever wanted to ride, it would be at the Ohio equivalent of the BRC. We get into so many arguments in the car that when she goes around the parking lot three times to get a "little closer" parking spot that I must conclude that either I would not have the patience to teach or she the confidence that I have any idea what I was teaching was valid.

Mr and Mrs Bickerson in some matters......

Maybe I can get the little 175 ready and she will ride it across the field.

#18 ·
I think that if Mrs Slum ever wanted to ride, it would be at the Ohio equivalent of the BRC. We get into so many arguments in the car that when she goes around the parking lot three times to get a "little closer" parking spot that I must conclude that either I would not have the patience to teach or she the confidence that I have any idea what I was teaching was valid.

Mr and Mrs Bickerson in some matters......

Maybe I can get the little 175 ready and she will ride it across the field.

My wife learned on the same 185 I did. I think that's a great size to learn all the little things and timing required to learn to ride. But I got her to a parking lot and left. Came back 2 hours later to see if she was crying or had won. Hanging around would not have been a good idea I don't think. But that way worked for us.

#22 ·
My advice: let her take the BRC and when she gets frustrated she will take it out on them instead of you. It is the same reason why a groomer clips Halle's (my dog) toenails...so she hates the groomer and not me.

And before anyone goes there...l am not in anyway calling your girlfriend a dog :)

#25 ·
We run at about an 80% pass rate overall. It's really going to depend on the individuals and how quickly they grasp the concepts of riding.

The test consists of low speed control, being able to swerve properly, being able to quick stop properly, and being able to corner properly. There is nothing on the exam that isn't done earlier in the class.

People that are unable to complete an objective or are operating the motorcycle in an unsafe manner must leave the class.

#26 ·
So what you are saying is that 20% of your class that has never ridden a bike before are asked to leave. That leaves 80% that pass, and I am going to go out on a limb and bet that of those 80%, at least 60% have ridden a bike before the class and know how things work.

I am not using facts of any kind, so don't beat me up for it. I'm just saying that most people that take the class and pass have at least had a little experience on a bike before the class.

I know that here, there are no visitors allowed to watch the class, so I do not know what they did other than what I have been told by people that have taken it. I never had to take it, was not in existence when I started to ride, probably a good thing, I may not be able to pass it with only 50 years of riding experience.

My wife did say I would be a good instructor, but I just don't think I have the patience.

#28 ·
It's not 20% that are asked to leave. About 20% complete the course but fail to pass the exam

In my experience, only a very small percentage that start the class are unable to complete it

Last weekend, I started out with 11 students. One had taken the class before, and 2 others had at least some experience riding off road or on, but never been licensed. The other 8 had never ridden before.

When the range exercises started, we discovered one student has no mobility in her left ankle. She was unable to continue because she wasn't physically able to shift.

Of the remaining 10, all passed the exam but 2.

#31 ·
I'm surprised at that. Given that some people get extremely nervous when others watch them. I thought that was the reason they weren't letting people watch. Not that you had secrets to keep to yourself.

#34 ·
You're right, he was sitting on the sidewalk in front of his bike, It's just not right when there were no signs telling us we couldn't ride on the sidewalk. He recovered just fine though, was only a broken ankle, but he should be a little quicker when he sees a hazard coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.