Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

New to the forum. Got a small problem with my bike and you all seem like a smart bunch.

While idling, I occasionally here a tapping some like a rock or something has bumped against the inside of the motor, and when this happens, the motor seems to struggle for a fraction of a second.

Does anyone know what this could be?

The bike is a 2009 Suzuki GS500f.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Noises are tough via the internet. You can try uploading a video to Youtube and posting the link here - that sometimes helps.

Where does the tapping seem to come from? Top, bottom, left right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure about the location, it seems pretty central. I'll put a video up when I get home from work though.

I suspect it might be a spark plug malfunction (and hope).

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Does it happen when just cruising along, or only when you apply power, like climbing a hill?

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
In that case, hold your hand against the spark plug boots while it is running; if the spark is jumping around the plugs, you'll know.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
And learn new cuss words.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
And crash if it happened to me. I hate getting shocked and jump right out of my skin, practically. Better to use a voltmeter and just run one probe around watching for any sudden reading. If sparks are jumping you'll get a reading at some point. May take awhile but it will happen. Or just change plug wires so you eliminate that possible problem. 2009, yep, they need changed anyway if still the OEM's.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Perhaps a safer way is to start it in a dark place, maybe cover the headlamp, and look for little blue flashes near the coils or plugs. Then use a spray bottle around the plugs and coils. Spark leaks will usually show up right away.

You might also put a wrench on the plugs, to make sure they are plenty tight.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Or you could lick it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.