Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I think it would be helpful to have a strip map or detailed directions that I could tape onto my gas tank and easily glance down and read as I follow the route. I used to use a magnetic map holder, but over time it scratched up the paint on the bike's tank and I don't want that to happen on my current bike. I'm wondering if there is any type tape that would adhere to the gas tank, but not risk damaging the finish. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I'm thinking maybe some painters tape...but I don't know how well it would hold at speed....when using magnets you could always carry a few small pieces of felt (separate from the magnets) to stop the scratching....I know a lot of magnetic bags already have the magnets in a "pouch" but they can get dirty, and being a part of the bag they are hard to keep clean, but as a separate piece....easier to slap against a leg to make sure there is nothing on it to scratch the paint

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
check supplies for exercise and workouts.
there's a kind of tape they put on the floor ... for marking out exercise areas.
it doesnt stick as hard.
look into it - that kight work for you :)

dT

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
My wife glued felt over the magnets on her plastic pouch and that's worked fine. The pouch itself was an old Nascar ticket holder that she glues the magnets to. Pretty heavy duty.

I use green painters tape when I have to protect a painted part on a bike when working on it, and it doesn't harm the paint. I'm not sure how it would hold up on the road though.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Vito, you might think about taping it onto your windshield at the bottom. I have seen this done before and it looked like a great place to put it. Also, painter's tape was used.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've done it, painters tape holds on fine at speed if you completely seal around the edge of the paper so the wind can't get under it. If that happens, well, you are left with the painters tape and no paper - ask me how I know!

jZ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts