Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya folks,

So my Recently acquired '90 VX800 needs tank cleaning sooner than I expected. It was something I wanted to have done but i did not think it needed it as badly as it does. But last week it took a **** on me and the diagnosis I have is a funky tank putting funk in my carbs :(

It's rusty and a previous reline has failed and there is liner all over.

After reading up a bit my plan is to use lacquer thinner and some bb's first to get rid of the failed liner and hopefully most of the rust. After that if there is still rust I may do a round with the electrolysis method.

OK Questions:

There is a tube coming off the bottom of the tank near the petcock. It looks like a hose connector but there was no hose attached to it. Is it a vent or something? Do I need to be careful of blocking it when I put the re-liner stuff in?

I can't get red-kote in CA, only Kreem. Any specific advice for this product?

Any other advice appreciated :)

Mystery connector near where the petcock mounts.

deep in the funky tank

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi,

first post of mine.

It could be a water drain hose, it drains any water that could be sitting around the filler hole of the gas tank.

My bandit 400 has the same outlet, you can leave it as is, or connect a hose to discharge the water at the bottom of the bike. But unless your gas tank cover is toast, seldom you will have water there.

Sometimes there is a connection for a hose, used as a vaccum to get the gas flowing to the carbs, but it is usually on the petcock.

hope this helps.

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OO I will check that out, It makes sense since the filler cap sits in a recessed area that seems like it would fill with water.

There is a vacuum hose on the petcock that helps work the valve there.

I did see a tank on ebay going fo $400 bucks and it is the wrong color. That is the only one I saw.

I can have someone do this job for half that, or do it myself for less than 1/4 the price.

doing it myself is best option for now.

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's definitely a drain, thanks Salentino. I poked a wire down the hole to make sure it was clear and did not feel rusted out. The hose seems great, wire slid right thru and was not funky at other end.

I will take a little good news.

I am off now to fashion some plugs for the petcock and filler holes

Edit: I looked again and did find one replacement the right color, for $946.00 lol

some pics of the wire test :)

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After shaking my arms off and letting the tank sit between shakings overnight I drained and then rinsed the tank. I got huge chunks of liner out, but sadly not all the previous liner is gone. interior rust seems to be gone all the metal I see is bright.

Should I do another round with a different solvent or lay the kreem down over what does not want to come off?

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
If the old is not hanging loose, and you are using the same product then yes. Anything in there is obviously stuck as it should be.

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nothing seems to be loose, what is still there seems to be really stuck there.

I have no idea what product was used before. What is coming out is black.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
I couldn't tell ya either. Most products want the inside meticulously cleaned, the one I suggested doesn't. They say a little roughness helps it to hold.
I think if the old liner is that well stuck, then try it. Put the new right over it. Good luck!

Maybe a call to the manufacture of the product you plan to use could help first?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Red Coat

I know that Red Coat can't be purchasedin CA but I would try my best to mailorder it. I have been sealing tanks for years using it and never have a problem. I would stay away from Kreem if at all possible. It does not adhere to the metal like it should and a couple years from now you will see what looks like a grey bag hanging in your tank. Just my opinion!

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After reading up some more it looks like i am going to do another round with acetone to try to get out whatever lining is still in there.

The Kreem kit instructions say not to put the first cleaner in unless all previous liners are already out. I think the first cleaner is an acid and i'm guessing the old stuff and acid might mix badly.

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG this stuff wont melt for anything...

most of 24 hours now with acetone and bbs and the stuff is not coming off.

What is still there seems to be a fairly thin layer, now the big question is weather to use the acid cleaner or skip that step.

I'm not even gonna start about what all this has done to the tanks paint job.

That might be a whole new thread.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Maybe you should buy the cheaper tank and repaint that? Could end up being a lot easier, and posibly cheaper in the long run.
Tho I do understand being without enough money too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tank

I remember spending the best part of a day painting the bottom of my tank. They are very challenging to paint because of their shape; I had mediocre results, but once I get the right compressor etc, I will do it again and properly. Can anyone recommend a good compressor for painting out of interest? Greg

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
One of my old goldwings tank was rusted. I took it to a radiator shop and had them boil it, clean it and coat it. Came back like new and it cost me about forty dollars.

Can anyone recommend a good compressor for painting out of interest? Greg
I have done a lot of painting, you want at least a five gallon tank with a high volume compressor. The trick is to have enough air so your pressure remains constant. SpeedAir make some very good low end compressors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
when i did this for school they made sure i sealed off all the tubes, ports, holes befor i coated teh tank... i used a tire inner tube to seal the holes off had to take the petcock out.

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry about the leaving y'all hanging for an update. I finally gave up on removing the last of whatever the previous guy had used to reline the tank, whatever was in there wasn't coming out. I followed the Kreem directions as closely as possible and got what looks like a nice coating of liner all over the inside.

While everything was open I pulled the air filters, which looked fairly new actually and squirted some carb cleaner into each of the carbs. When the tank was reinstalled I filled it and put some gumout carb cleaner additive in the gas. It coughed ad sputtered similar to what it had been doing before for a bout 5 minutes. Then it gave a last cough and a sputter and suddenly was running great again. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts